PDA

View Full Version : Dice Lag?

egrog1717
March 3rd, 2018, 19:26
Got a new gaming PC with an NVIDIA card (was previously playing on a Macbook Pro)... Finding that the dice are lagging/the animations are really slow... Everything else works 100%.
I'm playing the stand-alone, not through Steam.

I've tried disabling options in the NVIDIA control panel (heard that turning off AA and A-Filtering could work) but to no avail... Anyone been able to solve this one?

LordEntrails
March 3rd, 2018, 20:36
I don't recall anyone every determining a repeatable solution. But, as you already noted, it's usually related to a graphic card setting.

NVIDIA usually allows you to control settings specific to the application, so go in their and try to lower the general performance setting for FG. You can also try playing with some other things too, but I don't know what to suggest.

Also, if you have a graphics card on your motherboard, try setting FG to run on one or the other graphic card to see if that helps.

Finally, it might be related to DirectX. FG uses an older version (9?) so I don't know if you can install multiple versions of DirectX or not, but you might try that.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2018, 20:38
Also make sure that you have multi-platform compatibility unchecked in options, and that you have no other overlays operation such as Discord etc. And make sure that FG is actually running using your graphics card and not any inbuilt graphics processor on your motherboard.

egrog1717
March 4th, 2018, 17:55
Also make sure that you have multi-platform compatibility unchecked in options, and that you have no other overlays operation such as Discord etc. And make sure that FG is actually running using your graphics card and not any inbuilt graphics processor on your motherboard.

Where do I find the multi-platform compatibility option? Does not seem to be in my options menu

egrog1717
March 4th, 2018, 17:56
I don't recall anyone every determining a repeatable solution. But, as you already noted, it's usually related to a graphic card setting.

NVIDIA usually allows you to control settings specific to the application, so go in their and try to lower the general performance setting for FG. You can also try playing with some other things too, but I don't know what to suggest.

Also, if you have a graphics card on your motherboard, try setting FG to run on one or the other graphic card to see if that helps.

Finally, it might be related to DirectX. FG uses an older version (9?) so I don't know if you can install multiple versions of DirectX or not, but you might try that.

Yeah... Tried to turn all of the 3D settings off using the NVIDIA control panel to no avail... Everything works well, except the dice... Unfortunately I'm not seeing a way to use integrated graphics instead of the card (don't think I have it)
Will look into DirectX...

egrog1717
March 4th, 2018, 18:33
Scratch that, found it... Was already off. Fixed the issue though, see below

egrog1717
March 4th, 2018, 18:35
Okay... Fixed the issue... Not 100% certain, but here's what I did...

1) Installed DirectX 9... Didn't work at first, but might have helped after a restart
2) It seems that I had both a desktop and Steam version of FG on my computer... Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I deleted the game files AND uninstalled via Steam
3) Rebooted my computer

Didn't change any of my Graphics settings... So maybe DirectX 9 and a fresh install are the cure?

Zacchaeus
March 4th, 2018, 19:11
Multi platform compatibility is in Settings

Alkenix
November 30th, 2018, 15:25
Well I have the same problem since I switched from the steam demo to your websites version and copied the data folder..
Im using an gtx 1070 and there was an update for it some days ago BUT I already reinstalled the drivers.. :/
Multi Platform isnt enabled right now.

Any ideas?

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2018, 16:18
Some ideas:
* Turn off Steam overlay.
* Check to see if you have built-in graphics on mother board. It so, may require graphics drive utility to make sure FG uses the discrete graphics card.

JPG

Alkenix
November 30th, 2018, 17:52
Well sadly no good news.
- Deactivated the overlay: Still laggy dice
- No build-in grafics.
- Totally uninstalled the whole game, incl. registry parts (with revo uninstaller)
- Direct X9 is still installed.

I will now try my luck with no data-folder replacement and your website-installer.
*Crossing fingers*
~Nope. Same problem with a fresh install. :(
I guess its my graphics card driver.. it had an update some days ago..

Alright..
The experimental driver works fantastic..what the hell. o_o
Problem solved for me.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2018, 21:03
Sometimes the DX9 implementations of certain drivers is not very good or has issues. Maybe it was identified in the current build to be addressed in the next build. Glad you found found something that worked.

JPG

wndrngdru
December 1st, 2018, 01:47
Additionally:
* If you're running GeForce Experience, turn off the game overlay in settings (I'm pretty sure this is what did it for me)
* Turn off the Game Bar in Windows 10 settings

celestian
December 1st, 2018, 02:19
Okay... Fixed the issue... Not 100% certain, but here's what I did...

1) Installed DirectX 9... Didn't work at first, but might have helped after a restart

I would be willing to bet the bit about rebooting is what fixed it. I've noticed that when I have the dice lag that if I reboot it clears it up. This is a similar problem that games like NWN1 has as well. I don't know the specifics of why cause I've got 10 million other things I'm doing but a reboot does fix it for me so... your reboot might have done it for you.

Mazzar
March 13th, 2019, 19:50
I would be willing to bet the bit about rebooting is what fixed it. I've noticed that when I have the dice lag that if I reboot it clears it up. This is a similar problem that games like NWN1 has as well. I don't know the specifics of why cause I've got 10 million other things I'm doing but a reboot does fix it for me so... your reboot might have done it for you.

Rebooting always fixes it but if you leave your computer on, whether in FG or not, over time, the dice slow down. So far, the only thing I have seen to temporarily fix it is to reboot. Could this be something cluttering memory? Video memory maybe? Not sure if there is a way to flush it without rebooting.

Illian
April 29th, 2020, 23:03
Rebooting always fixes it but if you leave your computer on, whether in FG or not, over time, the dice slow down. So far, the only thing I have seen to temporarily fix it is to reboot. Could this be something cluttering memory? Video memory maybe? Not sure if there is a way to flush it without rebooting.

Same for me. Seems like a really odd bug...but rebooting fixes it every time. The longer my PC is on (days), the slower the dice are when I eventually fire up fantasy grounds. If I have a session, I just am sure to reboot sometime that day, and its fine.

egrog1717
April 29th, 2020, 23:23
Same for me. Seems like a really odd bug...but rebooting fixes it every time. The longer my PC is on (days), the slower the dice are when I eventually fire up fantasy grounds. If I have a session, I just am sure to reboot sometime that day, and its fine.

Glad to see my old post is still relevant two years later LOL...

Sounds like a memory leak issue with a background component that FG taps to roll the dice :)