PDA

View Full Version : Custom Class with added skills

geewaagh
March 3rd, 2018, 16:43
Hey all,

I am adding classes into 5e for an Adventures in Middle Earth Game. The Scholar skills says Medicine, Lore plus choose one xxx,xxx,xxx. I know how to make the list choose between skills but not how to add a few skills then make a choice. Any way to phrase the "other" tab on the class to give skills plus choose?

-G

Gix
March 3rd, 2018, 17:05
Hey all,

I am adding classes into 5e for an Adventures in Middle Earth Game. The Scholar skills says Medicine, Lore plus choose one xxx,xxx,xxx. I know how to make the list choose between skills but not how to add a few skills then make a choice. Any way to phrase the "other" tab on the class to give skills plus choose?

-G

It is my understanding that FG actually is just parsing text. Therefore if you find a class that works the way you want it and copy that format it should work. I know that Thieves' Tools for example isn't in the list by default but (I believe) certain backgrounds or classes add it to the list.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2018, 17:49
If you word it like this it should work

"Medicine, plus your choice of one from among, xxx, xxx, xxx"

geewaagh
March 3rd, 2018, 20:54
thanks for the advice.
I have tried the following:

Medicine, plus your choice of one from among, History, Insight, Investigation
Medicine, plus your choice of one from among History, Insight, Investigation
Medicine, plus your choice of one from History, Insight, Investigation

Syntax from other classes are worded like this:
Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

I have not found an example of get a skill plus pick a skill to use as an example from another class.

Thoughts?

-G

Gix
March 3rd, 2018, 21:37
Do you have the "You gain the History skill and Choose a skill from ...." I mean, not sure the exact syntax, but if you don't have the word skill in it doubt it would work.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2018, 21:42
Neither have I; I took that wording from a Background in SCAG, and thought it might work. I've done some testing and it looks like the Class won't parse any wording except those for the normal classes.

geewaagh
March 3rd, 2018, 23:25
thx all for the effort!
I will make sure players add manually.

-g

Zacchaeus
March 4th, 2018, 00:01
One possibility is to create sub classes. In the main class give then the fixed skills you want and in the subclass add in the choice of skills.