PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Properties for 5e?

Gix
March 3rd, 2018, 06:54
So I'm trying to create a new ranged weapon (for an artificer).

In stealing the properties from a heavy crossbow as a base I saw one I hadn't noticed before "loading". what does that actually do? I can't seem to find a reference to it.

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2018, 09:25
PHB p.147

Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

Cheers,
JPG

Gix
March 3rd, 2018, 17:10
Hmm, then that wouldn't really apply to the "Thunder Cannon" or "Hand Cannon" as I renamed it... Thunder Cannon reminds me too much of Army of Darkness, "This...is my BOOM stick!"

Is there a way for FG to track whether a weapon has been reloaded with a bonus action or not? I guess I kinda envisioned a dragon-breath like ... thing... which tracks if it has been fired or not and it marks it "used" until you click the "Reload" spell, which removes the "used" condition

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2018, 17:46
I can't think of a way to do that, but then I wouldn't imagine it is necessary. The Loading property limits the rate of fire to once per turn so it shouldn't be difficult to track.

LordEntrails
March 3rd, 2018, 18:15
Why wouldn't a Thunder Canon need to be reloaded? It is an auto loading weapon?

Gix
March 3rd, 2018, 20:25
I does need to be reloaded, but with the alternate rules we've got players can upgrade to a two-barrel option, allowing firing twice prior to the reload