PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check: Darkest Days Yet to Come

DanTehViking
March 2nd, 2018, 05:49
Hi, I am new to Fantasy Grounds (still have yet to get the FG Package, but planning on it - assuming I get enough interest) and looking to potentially run a game here - but want to check interest first. I actually have two main ideas, though only one will be listed for now as they both take place in the same custom world I have created.

The World of Sythian - Continent of Authem
The history of Authem is divided up into five main ages, of which the campaign takes place in the fourth age of the world, as the first is noted as the Age before Ages.

The Age of Primordials (AP) is known commonly as the Age Before Ages and little is known about it except what is contained in scarred texts and those marks etched into the fabric of the universe. As no living mortal, or perhaps even deities (by some accounts), knows when this age occurred or ended it is merely written it happened before time itself. Legends say that before there was Authem and the division of planes there was nothing but a sea of chaos and writhing endless masses of creatures. That before the world of Sythian had been given form and even before the void and its ravenous maw existed there were monsters. Fearsome creatures that words cannot describe as they were not always separate from each other as they vied for dominance. Out of this mass came the first of the gods Vik'Arax the Maw of the Void - the consumer.

The Maw's birth is subject to some debate, some believe the Maw to be an amalgamation of the primordial monsters and beasts that joined together. Others adhere to the idea that the universe itself willed it into existence as a means of changing the planes, separating them from each other. That the chaos of the Age was too much for the universe to handle and therefore created a being to end it. Whatever theory you believe in the end result is the same, by the lore, the Age was brought to an end as Vik'Arax consumed everything and forever parted the planes from each other.

The endless sea of fighting, death and primordials was consumed and silenced by the endless maw of the void. In its wake was left nothing, empty silence was all that filled the endlessness of space. The universe was now infinitely large as at the same time it was the size of a pin head. Only Vik'Arax existed and had fallen into a deep slumber from consuming all that had existed. This marks the end of AP and the beginning of the next age.

Age of the Void (AV) much like age that precedes it, not much is known, only what the Winged One bestowed upon those first scholars can describe this age. For the first deity couldn't speak, couldn't reason, as these were faculties beyond itself at this point. The Maw was nothing but a force of destruction in a sea of nothingness floating in an eternal sleep. During this period nothing existed, and if it did the beast would wake from its slumber long enough to consume what did exist before retreating to slumber. The being wanted nothingness all around it forever, however this created a paradox as itself was something and couldn't will itself gone.

Eventually the next deity was formed, from the mad dreams of the Maw, the Winged One the God of Creation was born. The Winged One though while it was weak rode upon the Maw as it consumed all in its path, its slumber forever disturbed. Eventually the two great deities would come to blows and the Maw would be sent running to the furthest reaches of the void as the Winged One sprang the endless lights of the sky into existence. It was he who created our world and by process our other six gods that bless those of the Enlightened Races. It was him that brought an end to the Age of Nothing in and ushered in what could be thousands or hundreds of years that fall into the silent tomes of the Lost Age.

The Lost Age (LA) Very little is known about the Lost Age as all records have been lost, aside from tiny bits of information that are found in ruins and burnt books. Whatever caused the collapse of the Grand Empire of the Enlightened Races that stretched out to cover all of Authem also destroyed all records of what came before it. What records have been recovered talk of an age without magic that all races were scattered across the surface equally. Until... something happened by the scions of the gods themselves to gift those select few with the gifts of the gods magic and the divine link itself.

Age of Imperium Was a shining golden age for the Enlightened Races (the core playable races) that formed together under the grand leaders of each race to create an endless empire, or so the records state. Shining towers of silver, gold and ivory stretched to the heavens and create the ruins that dart the world today. It was a great age of magic and wealth that came to crashing end with but a single common whisper in all texts "they came from the night, and burned till the night was bright as day." After this civilization declines and has reformed to create the current age.

Current Age The fifth Age, or named the Fourth Age, is the current age of he world.

Deities of Authem
Vik'Arax
Alternative Names: The Maw, Endless Void, and Devourer

The Winged One
Alternative Names: The Golden One, Bright One, and The Suun

Jadnus
Alternative Names: Deity of the Sea and Eastern Point

Farven
Alternative Names: Titan, Guardian of the Grove, and Southern Point

Jehlar
Alternative Names: Master of the Sky and Northern Point

Charto
Alternative Names: The Fiery Forge and Western Point

Rellan
Alternative Names: Master of Beasts

Wanderer
Alternative Names: Nameless One and the Shadow

Other Deities Exist but are not worshiped by those in Authem but by the adjacent areas, if a character desires to be outside of the area they may know of them otherwise they would be of little interest.

Where You Fit In
The year is 697~688 CA and nearing the bicentennial celebration of the kingdom of Yarlhiem, what is fabled to be the center of the old Great Empire, located in the center of the Peninsular Powers. It is the largest nation in the powers and comprising the bulk of the military might of the powers. It used to rule over all the land, before it was split in a great war with further reaching external powers that had felt threatened by them. Currently it is in the midst of reclaiming its former glory and after a few failed campaigns it appears to be gearing up for another venture - which will be marked by the celebration.

The group works in the city of Venfra for the Guild of the Falcon, Authem's version of the adventure's guild. They are but small new members to the guild looking to make names for themselves however, but are still quite new. The town is relatively peaceful, but as the 700th year of the CA draws close more odd events have begun to happen. What adventure awaits this small band that just seeks to make a name, and some gold, for themselves 0 what darkest days are yet to come.

Prospective Rules and Housekeeping Things

I am located in the EST Zone and the game would likely occur on the weekends, or possibly in the evening during the weekdays (depending on players).
Core 5th Edition Player Handbook only, unless special permission is given
Player advancement will be based upon story, not XP
Core Races and Classes only, unless special permission is given
This would be a long Campaign divided up into multiple acts that grow to encompass more of the world as players level up
You can worship any deity, aside from Vik'Arax, for it desires nothing but nothingness and drives those who desire its return madness.
Starting level is 1, but should go to two after the first session, after this it will be on average 2~4 sessions per level (depending on level).
I am looking for around 4~6 players ideal to take part in this

This takes care of the bulk of the initial ideas, that I could fit in 10,000 characters, but feel free to ask questions!

KalaGulab
March 2nd, 2018, 21:40
Hi - Looks like a fascinating world and I'm interested. I am looking to join the ground floor of a fun long-term campaign. You've got some cool and creative ideas from what I've read.

I have FG and am currently using it to DM a bi-weekly game of Storm King's Thunder with real life friends. So I am comfortable with the software.

I'd want to know about how scheduling could work out. I'm located in US Central zone with a strong preference for weeknights but could possibly do weekend nights. I can get into more detail on this as needed.

DanTehViking
March 4th, 2018, 00:03
Right now I am EST Zone and would be aiming to have it potentially happen during the weekends as those are currently open for me. I need to see how many people are interested and how all there schedules work out, but the goal would be to try and have it on the weekends in the evening after 6~7pm sometime.