PDA

View Full Version : Tokens During Game

Furio74
March 1st, 2018, 01:24
I recently tried a game with my 3 players, and when they were going to select tokens for their character, one of them could see all of them and select one, whereas the other could only see 1 token from the group. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2018, 01:34
If a player has a token module installed then I think they’ll be able to access those locally. If the players don’t have token modules then they will only see tokens you have shared. You should not share tokens since they take up too much memory. So either just allocate a token to the character or open your token window as big as possible and take a screenshot and send it to your players to choose.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2018, 02:30
Players do not get access to token modules - only those tokens shared with them.

@Furio74 - are you confusing portraits with tokens? Portraits are stored locally on each computer - they are not shared from the GM. So, this would explain why the players are seeing different images - if they are looking at the portraits... (Which become the default player token when selected). Portraits are accessible by clicking the portrait square in the top of the PC sheet.

Furio74
March 1st, 2018, 14:19
Thank you both, I will check to make sure we follow your suggestions.

Sacksquatch
March 3rd, 2018, 00:35
I have this issue as well. My tokens are not in the shared folder, and to be clear I'm not mistaking them with portraits.

When I had them in the GM folder, they could see my tokens, but only the ones I had placed on a map. This is not good as they can see what they're going to face that night.

When I put them in a .mod instead of GM folder, they can now see the token bag, and look inside to see what I have placed on a map. No good, same situation.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Are we supposed to make the campaign a module before we play? I've been playing straight from the campaign.

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2018, 00:45
Once tokens are part of a shared record, such as the combat tracker or on a map; the tokens will appear in the player token bag, since they are part of the token set loaded on the player instance.

Make sure to use encounter records set up in advance to add each encounter as you need. And, of course, mercilessly pummel any PCs that try to meta-game. ;)

JPG

Sacksquatch
March 3rd, 2018, 00:54
Oh i see! I've been doing it to myself because I'm still testing a lot of stuff. Thank you!

So should I create the encounter, but hold off on setting their position on the map until it's time?

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2018, 00:58
So should I create the encounter, but hold off on setting their position on the map until it's time?
Use the encounter token pre-placement and only add the encounter to the CT when the encounter starts - which will add the tokens to the map in the pre-placed locations.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

damned
March 3rd, 2018, 02:13
And if you feel there is some metagaming based on tokens happening add a shared demo-gorgon in before your next session and a beholder for the one after... :)

Sacksquatch
March 3rd, 2018, 19:38
Use the encounter token pre-placement and only add the encounter to the CT when the encounter starts - which will add the tokens to the map in the pre-placed locations.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

Ok, I figured out my mistake. In setup, I was laying the tokens manually on the map just to see what they looked like. This was loading them into the token section for the players.

Now I can move all my tokens back to host folder and not deal with the .mod. Thanks for the help! Apparently they didn't look last night because they were still surprised to see the Ogre swingin' his soap on a rope!

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2018, 20:36
It is better that you deal with the mod than put tokens in the host directory. Once a token has been allocated to an NPC you can then close the module and free up memory. However if you have a lot of tokens in the host folder they'll all be loaded into your campaign using memory which you might want for other things.

damned
March 3rd, 2018, 23:58
Or keep the tokens down to a realistic number - the lower the better. I have about 100 tokens in there that arent in modules. Put 1,000+ in there and you will really see the memory hit.

Sacksquatch
March 4th, 2018, 06:25
It is better that you deal with the mod than put tokens in the host directory. Once a token has been allocated to an NPC you can then close the module and free up memory. However if you have a lot of tokens in the host folder they'll all be loaded into your campaign using memory which you might want for other things.

Oh hey I didn't know that. I had like every token module loaded in for no reason. Helpful!

Nickademus
March 4th, 2018, 19:28
Once tokens are part of a shared record, such as the combat tracker or on a map; the tokens will appear in the player token bag, since they are part of the token set loaded on the player instance.

Make sure to use encounter records set up in advance to add each encounter as you need. And, of course, mercilessly pummel any PCs that try to meta-game. ;)

JPG

I actually just removed the token bag from the player client. There is absolutely no reason for them to have access to it; the few tokens that I'd allow the players to use (such as tents and logs for around the campfire) I can put on the map for them. Besides, I believe if tokens are locked on an image, players can't add tokens to it anyway and I always have tokens locked (due to some strange ghost in FG that constantly rotates tokens since none of my players would be the one doing it... no, never them...).

Sacksquatch
March 6th, 2018, 03:09
I actually just removed the token bag from the player client. There is absolutely no reason for them to have access to it; the few tokens that I'd allow the players to use (such as tents and logs for around the campfire) I can put on the map for them. Besides, I believe if tokens are locked on an image, players can't add tokens to it anyway and I always have tokens locked (due to some strange ghost in FG that constantly rotates tokens since none of my players would be the one doing it... no, never them...).

How can I remove the token bag?

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2018, 10:29
Drag the red cross over any token modules with a green tick. And make sure that there are no tokens in the tokens/shared folder. Mind you Nickademus probably fiddled with the code, since reading his post again I think he is saying that he removed access to the bag altogether.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2018, 10:41
Drag the red cross over any token modules with a green tick.
Players can’t access token modules, so there's no need to do this.

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2018, 11:30
Players can’t access token modules, so there's no need to do this.

Yes, this is what I thought but I see it's still possible to drag in a green tick, so it was more a belt and braces thing, but you are right. Joining my own game I see that no matter the tick status the bags don't appear client side.

Sacksquatch
March 6th, 2018, 12:41
For those who will google-fu their way here in the future.

Following the encounter procedure from the wiki to the letter gave me two results:
With tokens in a module, after setting up the encounter, players could open the tokens and see the tokens I used. Which after all my google-fu, I keep hearing this should be impossible.
With tokens in the host folder, after setting up the encounter, players could NOT see the tokens I used. :O no clue..

I tested this with a test account logging into localhost. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, but at least I have somewhat of a solution that seems to work. Don't lay NPC tokens on a map unless it's through an encounter setup. Don't put the NPC in the combat tracker either until it's fight time. Use a test campaign and export PCs to it, if you want to do test fights, to gauge your encounter.

Maybe someone can explain this further. It's not like my players are snooping in there, but if they get curious and look I don't want them to see the encounters. :P This whole issue came up for me after one of my players asked about a token. Uhh you can see that token? Yeah :D

Trenloe
March 6th, 2018, 15:19
Don't lay NPC tokens on a map unless it's through an encounter setup. Don't put the NPC in the combat tracker either until it's fight time.
Yep, this is what people in this thread have been trying to say. Moon Wizard gave the exact details in post #6.

As soon as you make any token available to the PCs - put it directly on a map (different from encounter pre-placement) or put a NPC with a token in the combat tracker, that token will be shared to players and will be visible in the player tokens bag.

With tokens in a module, after setting up the encounter, players could open the tokens and see the tokens I used. Which after all my google-fu, I keep hearing this should be impossible.
This won't happen unless you test the encounter (i.e. deploy the NPCs to the combat tracker/map) or had inadvertently dragged the token to the map outside of the encounter pre-placement mechanic.

Sacksquatch
March 6th, 2018, 17:19
I know, I responded to him. I'm just consolidating what I learned. I was searching google like crazy to figure this out, so this may help the next guy.

I couldn't get the module method to drop tokens out of memory, even though I had deleted the encounter and removed all tokens from the map I could still see the token.
In fact, I've deleted the module, but my localhost client still sees the bag with nothing in it now. Using host is just less headaches for me as I bumble my way through the learning curve. :)

Edit: HAHA! But I did figure it all out just now. I was searching through the db.xml for my module name. Once I replaced all the missing tokens, deleted the parcels, and encounters etc I'm back to normal baby! It's no longer looking for items that module held. Need to be less sloppy going forward. :D (to be clear, I made no edits to the db.xml itself, just used it as a reference, the edits were made in FG)

So yeah, I may go back to using token modules in the future when I have too many tokens in host. But I'm gonna play it safe for a minute. :P