PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

Dugahst
February 27th, 2018, 12:24
Hey everyone, just ran my 2nd session in FG ever- using CoreRPG to run Shadow of the Demon Lord. For the most part it's been going great (my game is in person so mostly everyone uses real dice since FG can't incorporate boons/banes easily), but I have noticed some odd things I have questions about;

The first encounter I ran in session 1 had 6 of the same enemies and when I added them to the combat tracker it labeled them 1-6, every encounter since then has not done this and I'm not sure why? When I build the encounters is there a way to make it do this?

Is there a way to disable initiative sorting in the combat tracker- SOTDL doesn't use initiative, and because CoreRPG has no easy method of tracking damage on a creature (can't believe there's no extension for this) I use the initiative box to track damage but it makes the name jump around in the combat tracker (not a huge deal really).

In the combat tracker on all the players names there is a bubble with a number in it over the characters icon (mine all say 2.5) what is this?

damned
February 27th, 2018, 12:51
Dugahst you should have a look at MoreCore... it has Boons and Banes and you can track damage on creatures...
The bubble number means that the token has been scaled by that multiplier...

Dugahst
February 27th, 2018, 13:48
Dugahst you should have a look at MoreCore... it has Boons and Banes and you can track damage on creatures...

Any idea why it doesn’t number same type npcs?

Trenloe
February 27th, 2018, 13:56
Any idea why it doesn’t number same type npcs?
Check the campaign option: combat -> Add NPC Numbering

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options#Combat

Dugahst
February 27th, 2018, 17:30

Follow up question - i have ultimate license, if I set everything up (transferring my campaign into morecore) do my players have to download the morecore.pak (and also the shadow of the demonlord theme) in order for them to play in the game- or will the client automatically send all the stuff to them?

dragonheels
February 27th, 2018, 17:34
Hello,
No, your players jus have to connect afetr installing the demo version. The rest is full automatic. Couldn't be better!

LordEntrails
February 27th, 2018, 21:01
Just remember the first time your players connect they will have to download stuff. So I suggest you start up your campaign early or have another time when they can connect and let the download happen. You wouldn't want to wait 15 minutes to start playing if everyone waits till start time to connect.

Dugahst
March 1st, 2018, 01:46
Can someone with morecore experience help me out.
How do I setup boons/banes on attack rolls on npc and character sheets?
I can't figure it out from the help website.

damned
March 1st, 2018, 01:58
Create one or more Boon and Bane Rolls with format:

/bane 1d6
/bane 2d6
/bane 3d6
/boon 1d6
/boon 2d6
/boon 3d6

When you click on one of these it will roll the appropriate dice and add the final result to the modifier box to apply to your next Roll

Set up your skill and combat Rolls with the appropriate values/strings.

Then in play you would click the Boon/Bane and then the additional Roll.

Dugahst
March 1st, 2018, 02:07
Create one or more Boon and Bane rolls with format:

/bane 1d6
/bane 2d6
/bane 3d6
/boon 1d6
/boon 2d6
/boon 3d6

When you click on one of these it will roll the appropriate dice and add the final result to the modifier box to apply to your next Roll

Set up your skill and combat rolls with the appropriate values/strings.

Then in play you would click the Boon/Bane and then the additional Roll.

Ahh ok, i was thinking there was a way to set it up on the npc or character sheet to were you could just click the dice button and have it do it it all (IE roll the d20 with ability mod, roll the boons/banes and add/subtract from the d20 roll and display the final outcome)

damned
March 1st, 2018, 02:24
You do.
You create these as Rolls.
Then you drag them on to your character sheet or NPC sheet.
Have a look at how monzomonar has setup his character sheet - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=378872&viewfull=1#post378872
You might find the few posts after that useful too.

damned
March 1st, 2018, 02:44
See this plus the next couple of posts too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=373023&viewfull=1#post373023

Dugahst
March 1st, 2018, 03:01
See this plus the next couple of posts too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=373023&viewfull=1#post373023

ya i don't really understand any of that :cry:
Just using MoreCore base with no other extentions, how do you combine strings?
For example to create a single attack button for a monster that has a +4 to hit with 2 boons, and deals 1d6 damage.
I thought something like the image below would work, but it doesn't
(ignore the fact that i did that as a bane, was for testing only)

damned
March 1st, 2018, 03:11
No - you would create three Rolls:
/boon 2d6
/chall 1d20+4 (I believe /chall is what you want which reports a success against 10?)
and then if successfull
/damage 1d8+2 (this will roll a type of damage which can be dragged onto wounds

Dugahst
March 1st, 2018, 03:36
/boon 2d6
/chall 1d20+4 (I believe /chall is what you want which reports a success against 10?)
and then if successfull

right, so than you cannot combine the three rolls into a single button press.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2018, 03:42
right, so than you cannot combine the three rolls into a single button press.
In general, FG does not combine rolls on purpose. This is because of all the times that their are modifiers that are forgotten or exceptions or the GM interjects.

damned
March 2nd, 2018, 03:05
Hi dugahst check this link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=379260&viewfull=1#post379260
Download one or all of the linked xml files and in the Characters window use the Import button to bring these in.
You will be able to see how mozmonar is setting up his character sheets.
Rolls can be dragged from these char sheets into your Rolls library or onto other PCs/NPCs.

mozmonar
March 2nd, 2018, 03:40
/boon 2d6
and then if successfull

One minor point. Challenge rolls differ from Attack rolls in SotDL. The target number for a Challenge roll is a constant 10. Attack rolls go against some other Attribute or Characteristic e.g Strength vs Defense, Will vs. Intellect, Intellect vs. Perception, etc. Challenge rolls serve a similar purpose SotDL to both Saving Throw and Ability/Skill checks in D&D for instance. However the difficulty is modified by the number of Boons or Banes, not by altering the target number.

damned
March 2nd, 2018, 04:06
One minor point. Challenge rolls differ from Attack rolls in SotDL. The target number for a Challenge roll is a constant 10. Attack rolls go against some other Attribute or Characteristic e.g Strength vs Defense, Will vs. Intellect, Intellect vs. Perception, etc. Challenge rolls serve a similar purpose SotDL to both Saving Throw and Ability/Skill checks in D&D for instance. However the difficulty is modified by the number of Boons or Banes, not by altering the target number.

Thanks mozmonar

I have zero experience with the game system.
I have it but have never even opened the book.
So you just use /die 1d20+4 for your attack sample?

mozmonar
March 2nd, 2018, 04:13
Thanks mozmonar

I have zero experience with the game system.
I have it but have never even opened the book.
So you just use /die 1d20+4 for your attack sample?

You can. I usually use the Attacks field for attacks and damage rolls. And the attributes rolls for challenge rolls.

mozmonar
March 2nd, 2018, 04:16
Alternatively you can use the Attributes/challenge rolls for attacks and just ignore the success/failure notice and look solely at the die roll. The modifiers to the rolls are the same for both STR Attack and STR Challenge roll.

mozmonar
March 2nd, 2018, 04:30
p.s. You should give the game a try. It's pretty great. And you actually have a decent amount of reference material already entered in since I sent you my campaign/modules the other day :)

mozmonar
March 2nd, 2018, 23:01
Follow up question - i have ultimate license, if I set everything up (transferring my campaign into morecore) do my players have to download the morecore.pak (and also the shadow of the demonlord theme) in order for them to play in the game- or will the client automatically send all the stuff to them?

Some unsolicited advice from an SotDL gamer...FG doesn't natively track "initiative" the way it works in SotDL. So what I do in MoreCore is change turn order to Ascending in Options. Then I assign Player Fast Turns to turn order 1, NPC Fast Turns to turn order 2, Player Slow Turns to turn order 3 and NPC Slow Turns to turn order 4. End of Round actors to turn order 5 (Bolt Thrower for example). This at least places them in the CT in order by Fast and Slow though not by individual actor turn order as that is chosen on the fly.