PDA

View Full Version : Penetrating Attack

Blacklamb
February 27th, 2018, 07:02
How can I implement the Penetrating Attack feat that a character has taken. The feat reduces your target's energy resistances and damage reduction by 5 against your weapon attacks. I'm guessing this is an effect I would put on my target? or on me?

Blahness98
February 27th, 2018, 13:38
I haven't gotten that far with my effects as my time has started to get more limited. Unfortunately, the effects for DR are currently not working in Starfinder (or I haven't found the correct syntax), so half of the effect would require GM assistance. The resist portion of the effect could work. Here is what I would do (assuming DR gets fixed in a patch).

On your target place this effect: Penetrating Attack; DR: -5; RESIST: -5 X

Replace X with the energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic) you want them to be less resistant to. Granted, this is a quick effect that you will need to toggle on the Combat Tracker if the feat doesn't specify a how long it affects your attacks. If ot lasts th encountet and you didn't want to toggle, I think a custom IFT effect could work. You would try this..

On your target place this effect: Target
On yourself place: Penetrating Attack; IFT: CUSTOM(Target); DR: -5; RESIST: -5 X

Once again, replace X with the energy type. I am not at my PC, so I don't know if either of these effects would work. I can test them when I get back from work and let you know.

Blahness98
February 27th, 2018, 22:18
Nevermind. Looks like that does not work the way it should. Let me dig into this a little more and see if I can find something..

EDIT--

It appears that RESIST is unable to take a negative number, so unfortunately until the time when DR is fixed, this will all have to be done manually by the DM to make the damage work correctly or you will have to remind the DM to double check the damage.

Marswipp
March 1st, 2018, 03:54
As things are, the fastest fix is to add five to the damage when the penetration factor applies. That aside, "Penetrate" as a keyword that can accept a value might be the solution. (Though, adding another keyword may be more trouble than it's worth.)

Blahness98
March 1st, 2018, 05:48
I've already asked for enough new tags and things to be looked at as far as effects go. I still suggest DM assistance for this ability. Wonder if I can target RESIST with an IF tag.. *goes back to effects creation*

--Edit

Nope.. doesn't work.