PDA

View Full Version : easily convert npc to pc

Kardock
February 26th, 2018, 21:01
hi all,

is there an easy way to accomplish this?

I have a NPC list that the players will choose a guide from and I wish for them to use him/her as a PC, meaning that since the NPC will participate in the fights, I wish for him/her to receive a share of the XP. For this, I want to add him/her to the Party Sheet, but I need a PC for that.

thanks!

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2018, 21:06
There isn't an easy way. You just have to create a PC character using the NPC as a template to do so. If you want them to share XP etc then as you say you need them to be on the party sheet. You could create 'dummy' blank PCs which would be placed on the party sheet just to collect the XP. You could then just give the players the NPC to control.

Kardock
February 27th, 2018, 00:24
Zacc to the rescue, once again :-)

thanks man!

JohnD
February 27th, 2018, 03:42
Savage Worlds lets you turn a PC into an NPC without pain and suffering.

1derwood
April 14th, 2020, 01:19
I'm trying to add an animal companion for a Beastmaster Druid and I'm new. This makes just turning the NPC into a friendly as a short term fix. It's a blink dog, so creating everything seems like it's going to take me a while to research. Is there something I'm missing?

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2020, 01:38
This video shows you how to do share an NPC with a player https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43513-Video-Giving-player-control-of-an-NPC&p=387176#post387176

1derwood
April 14th, 2020, 07:53
Thanks for trying, Zacchaeus, but that doesn't really deal with any of the abilities and skills given by the Beastmaster to their companion. I wonder why the companion issue hasn't been fixed over the years? It's an issue for multiple classes.

1derwood
April 14th, 2020, 07:55
Has anyone found any extensions on DM's Guild that might be a fix?

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2020, 09:54
Thanks for trying, Zacchaeus, but that doesn't really deal with any of the abilities and skills given by the Beastmaster to their companion. I wonder why the companion issue hasn't been fixed over the years? It's an issue for multiple classes.

It isn't really an 'issue' that needs to be 'fixed' since it can be easily done right now without anything fancy. Also given the vast range of possible beasts and Ranger stats not easy to implement some kind of automation especially for an edge case like this.

At any rate as noted above either create a PC character for the beast or edit an NPC and share it with the player.

For a Blink Dog, make a copy of the NPC and then unlock it and (assuming a level 3 ranger) add 2 to it's AC, Attack and Damage rolls and to it's Perception and Stealth skills and you are done. It doesn't have any saving throw proficiencies and it's HD is already high enough. Then share it with the player as per that video. This will take about 35 seconds to do start to finish.

esmdev
April 14th, 2020, 15:22

D&D 2E does this in both directions. Hopefully once the Unity problems get nailed down this sort of functionality can be incorporated in 5E.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2020, 15:42
D&D 2E does this in both directions. Hopefully once the Unity problems get nailed down this sort of functionality can be incorporated in 5E.

There's almost no difference between the NPC and PC sheets in SW and 2e so it is easier to implement in those rulesets. For 5e not so much.

RCathcart
December 7th, 2020, 21:30

FYI, this can be done by dragging and dropping from the PC listings to the NPC listings. You can also drag from the Archetype listing to NPC. You cannot, however, drag from NPC to Archetypes, but you can drag from NPC to PC and *then* to Archetypes.