PDA

View Full Version : AoE grid page reference?

Gix
February 24th, 2018, 05:48
I could have sworn there were several pages in one of the main books which had pictures of AOE shapes using dice. Those illustrations were just pen and ink.

However, despite having the physical books I can’t find it! Help!

Can anyone give me a book and page number?

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2018, 09:58
PHB p204 and Xanathar's Guide to Everything p86/87

Gix
February 24th, 2018, 16:12
PHB p204 and Xanathar's Guide to Everything p86/87

Yes! It was the Xanathar reference I was looking for! Thank you!

Nickademus
February 25th, 2018, 04:24
That's not good. Xanathar's contradicts the cone shape that the PHB states (and that cause Smiteworks to have to change the cone in the ruleset). It openly states that it isn't an accurate representation of the area (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/12/10/the-right-most-picture-of-diagram-2-5-cones-using-tokens-in-xgte-violates-how-cone-effects-are-described-on-ph-204/) and that it is meant to be quicker and easier at a table.

Honestly, I when using a computer to do the hard stuff like figuring out areas, the token method should be ignored.

Gix
February 25th, 2018, 06:05
Well, I find that because cones in FG don’t snap to 5’ Increments, and because aligning them to players and moving them afterwards is less than clean ( half the time I accidentally move the token instead of the shape) I personally would much rather use the token method for small cones like 15’ cones

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2018, 10:44
My cone snaps to 5' Increments. Do you have any extensions loaded which might be interfering. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Nickademus
February 25th, 2018, 15:47
Also, if you didn't know, you can create quick pointers and shapes by holding both the right and left mouse button and dragging. Hold Ctrl for a circle, Shift for square, and Alt for a cone.

I believe doing it this way will prevent you from dragging tokens.

Myrdin Potter
February 25th, 2018, 16:22
The big change in Xanathar’s is that it says that any square under the template is effected by the AoE spell, not only 50% covered squares.