PDA

View Full Version : Dex Bonus for Heavy Armor?

Three of Swords
February 23rd, 2018, 19:19
In my 5e campaigns, I like to have Masterwork gear. In the case of Medium and Heavy armor, the Max Dex mod to AC goes up by 1 (so 3 for Med armor and 1 for heavy armor).

If I set the Dex bonus on Medium armor to 3, it works fine. It limits the dex bonus to AC to 3. If I add the same property to Heavy armor, it does not limit the Dex mod upgrade to AC.

How hard would it be to create an extension that does this? In the base code, it should only be a couple of lines of code calling the dex mod check function. But how would an extension work?

Thanks for any advice!

Moon Wizard
February 23rd, 2018, 20:14
You would have to look everywhere that "max2" and "max3" are used in the 5E code, and add a "max1" option. It probably touches on half a dozen different places in the code, since max dex is reviewed for AC calculation, AC effect application, item equipping, and item stats.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2018, 21:10
It would probably be easier to use the misc modifier in the Combat Calculation dialog or just add an effect to add or subtract from the AC.

Three of Swords
February 23rd, 2018, 21:21
Ah, more difficult than I first imagined. Especially for my limited programming skills. I'll prob use an Effect then.

Thanks for the input!

lostsanityreturned
February 24th, 2018, 05:00
Ah, more difficult than I first imagined. Especially for my limited programming skills. I'll prob use an Effect then.

Thanks for the input!

With all characters that have magic or unusual items I create an "items" group in their actions pane.
I have all the effects built ahead of time for their items in the items descriptions for easy copy and paste support :)

Nickademus
February 24th, 2018, 05:26
Heavy armor does not cap Dex bonus to AC. It ignores all Dex modifiers to AC (both bonuses and penalties). So the mechanic is completely different in FG.

lostsanityreturned
February 25th, 2018, 08:40
Actually, there you go... just adjust the armour items on the character to be "medium armour" and have a bonus of 1.

Easy, fast and your problems are solved :)

Three of Swords
February 25th, 2018, 16:06
Actually, there you go... just adjust the armour items on the character to be "medium armour" and have a bonus of 1.

hmm... Interesting solution. That might work well. Thank you for the idea!