PDA

View Full Version : NPC Effects - Hiding from players

twistedtechmike
February 23rd, 2018, 13:59
Quick question...if you apply an effect to an NPC (i.e. resist slashing) how do you prevent said effect from displaying to players in the combat tracker? Am I missing something, or is it not doable?

JohnD
February 23rd, 2018, 14:33
There is an eye next to each effect. Click it so it is shaded. This should add the effect as DM viewable only. I think.

twistedtechmike
February 23rd, 2018, 15:09
*palmface* DOH Ill give it a go tonight and test it. Thank you!

twistedtechmike
February 23rd, 2018, 15:12
Went ahead and fired it up here at the office. Sure enough, if you click the visible, it changes to GM only (using wizards theme).

Nickademus
February 23rd, 2018, 16:35
Just remember to click GM only before you start typing the effect (for manual effects), or apply the effect before you make the NPC visible. Otherwise the player's will see it before you make it invisible.

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2018, 18:10
If you create the effect in the effects dialog and click the invisible button there you can drag it onto the CT and it will be placed as a GM visible effect.

JohnD
February 23rd, 2018, 19:46
*palmface* DOH Ill give it a go tonight and test it. Thank you!

Don't be too hard on yourself. It took me almost 6 years to figure this one out.

twistedtechmike
February 27th, 2018, 13:33
I was also able to use this to place a hidden effect on a character, who equipped a magical item of unknown properties. Let the fun begin!

JohnD
February 27th, 2018, 19:48
Now, even if you place the effect invisibly, if it say gives the npc a +4 on AC or immunity, that will still be shown in the chat window when the creature is attacked or hit. I haven't found a way to prevent that yet.

twistedtechmike
February 27th, 2018, 19:56
True, but it only says EFFECT and doesnt provide details about where it comes from at least.

JohnD
February 28th, 2018, 00:49
True, but it only says EFFECT and doesnt provide details about where it comes from at least.

If you have players that manage to not suffer an aneurysm when there's a modifier they don't know about you should be OK. Me, I've lost players over it, so I'm a little over sensitive I suppose. :p

twistedtechmike
February 28th, 2018, 00:51
Ouch, that's crazy! I'm the DM that rolls dice just to mess with my players lol