PDA

View Full Version : Random Question

Blahness98
February 22nd, 2018, 05:54
How hard would it be to add an effect that would allow a Base Attack Bonus to be parsed in effects? This would be worked on by a guy whom hasn't coded anything in 10+ years.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2018, 14:30
If it's an effect that purely changes attacks then you'd need to code it in the relevant ruleset manager_action_attack.lua script. There's various effect code in there that looks at effects and conditions and applies the relevant modifiers to the attack roll.

Not knowing exactly what you want to do I can't say how hard it would be. It's certainly possible and using the underlying effects manager should minimize the code you'd need to write.

But, not knowing why you want to do this, nor the mechanics of what you're trying to do, or the ruleset you want to work with - can't you just use the ATK effect? How would that be difference from a base attack bonus?

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2018, 17:53
Are you talking about just adding a new tag that get resolved when dragging an effect from a PC Actions tab to the combat tracker? (i.e. [BAB], [HBAB], etc.)
I'd need to review the code; but that might be fairly straightforward.

Regards,
JPG

Blahness98
February 23rd, 2018, 14:48
But, not knowing why you want to do this, nor the mechanics of what you're trying to do, or the ruleset you want to work with - can't you just use the ATK effect? How would that be difference from a base attack bonus?

In Starfinder, there are several feats that key off of a base attack bonus, not attack. Deadly Aim is the prime example of this (Enhanced Resistance is another). The feat text states you take a -2 to your attack and gain half your base attack bonus (rounded up) to damage. There is no current way of automating that effect and it needs to be done manually. I am creating effects for the Starfinder and was looking to make it as easy as possible for an end user. Granted modifying the effect every time you gain 2 BAB isn't too difficult, why not just make it that much easier.

Are you talking about just adding a new tag that get resolved when dragging an effect from a PC Actions tab to the combat tracker? (i.e. [BAB], [HBAB], etc.)
I'd need to review the code; but that might be fairly straightforward.

Regards,
JPG

This is exactly what I was looking at doing. I didn't know how hard it would be or where the parts I would need to modify would be located. Thanks for taking time to look JPG!

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2018, 19:00
In Starfinder, there are several feats that key off of a base attack bonus, not attack. Deadly Aim is the prime example of this (Enhanced Resistance is another). The feat text states you take a -2 to your attack and gain half your base attack bonus (rounded up) to damage. There is no current way of automating that effect and it needs to be done manually. I am creating effects for the Starfinder and was looking to make it as easy as possible for an end user. Granted modifying the effect every time you gain 2 BAB isn't too difficult, why not just make it that much easier.
Thanks for clarifying what you're trying to do, that helps in understanding the options available and which ruleset is being used. :)

Just be aware that what Moon Wizard mentions [BAB] or [HBAB] (for example, if these existed) are calculated when the effect is added to the combat tracker from the PC actions tab. They don't dynamically update once in the CT. Just so you're aware.

That being said - the Starfinder ruleset is not available to make direct code changes - or even view the code to allow for extension creation. It's stored in the encrypted vault.

Blahness98
February 23rd, 2018, 20:11
Just be aware that what Moon Wizard mentions [BAB] or [HBAB] (for example, if these existed) are calculated when the effect is added to the combat tracker from the PC actions tab. They don't dynamically update once in the CT. Just so you're aware.

That being said - the Starfinder ruleset is not available to make direct code changes - or even view the code to allow for extension creation. It's stored in the encrypted vault.

I know both those things. I was thinking about hacking some code that would work with the PF rule set and see if I could finesse it to work with Starfinder. But, I think I will wait to see if JPG thinks it is easy enough to add in.

Moon Wizard
February 23rd, 2018, 20:16
I've slated for v3.3.5 for PFRPG, and I've added to the dev version for SFRPG. The SFRPG support may actually come out quicker, since they are on fast iteration to fix issues. I'm actually delaying the start of the v3.3.5 beta until SFRPG fixes settle down a bit.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2018, 20:19
I was thinking about hacking some code that would work with the PF rule set and see if I could finesse it to work with Starfinder.
That would be virtually impossible to get right - and then maintain as new versions of SFRPG come out.

Best leave it to MW! :)

Blahness98
February 24th, 2018, 17:15
Here's another random question.. Would it be possible to make the IMMUNE tag include conditions? Once again, this would be for Starfinder. So an effect like IMMUNE: Flat-footed would prevent any sort of flat-footed effect from applying. I know you all are busy correcting things in that rule set, just figured I would ask.