PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question (the first of what I'm sure will be many...)

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 06:12
Disclaimer: I'm really, really new to FG (haven't played or run a single session yet).
RuleSet: 5e

Question: How do I get the PC icons w/names to appear in the upper-left hand corner?

dulux-oz
February 21st, 2018, 06:57
Hi Hjorimir,

The Character Portraits will appear when a Player connects to the GM and selects a character. You can do this yourself by opening a second instance of FG and "Joining" the first using a connection of "localhost".

Any other questions, just ask :)

Also, if you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

BTW, with a join date of Dec 2004 - wow, and you still haven't played a game :)

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2018, 10:01
You might all benefit from a couple of classes at the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!) too

damned
February 21st, 2018, 11:58
You might all benefit from a couple of classes at the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!) too

post above yours is another crappy spam shilling post which I am deleting :)

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2018, 12:03
post above yours is another crappy spam shilling post which I am deleting :)

Well spotted.

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 16:21
Started looking at VTTs back in the day, but never got around to it.

Thanks for the reply, I've see it working now.

Next stupid question: Using a second client to attach to the campaign I was able to run a mock combat after creating a few characters. In one of the various videos I've watched, there was a thing where the DM basically approved a player's movement. That didn't happen during my mock combat. What am I missing?

JohnD
February 21st, 2018, 16:23
FGC has great classes for the beginning DM on how to use FG.

You need to lock tokens first.

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2018, 16:28
As JohnD says, right click over one of the tokens on the map and select 'Lock Tokens' Players will now be able to move the token but you will need to approve the move by middle mouse clicking on the token or by right clicking and selecting approval from the radial menu.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2018, 16:29
Next stupid question: Using a second client to attach to the campaign I was able to run a mock combat after creating a few characters. In one of the various videos I've watched, there was a thing where the DM basically approved a player's movement. That didn't happen during my mock combat. What am I missing?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Movement

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 18:05
You guys are awesome!

Next: I've added some tokens for my characters (all made custom if that matters). Everything seems fine, but the character tokens are not displaying the health dot or status icons next to them in combat. The monster tokens seem to work find. What am I doing wrong here?

Also: The auto-center map feature only seems to be working on the DM client and only for the NPCs. Is there a way to get it to auto center on the player's client? Can I have it auto center on PCs during their actions too?

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2018, 18:42
There are options (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Options) in Token (GM) to switch on or off or view in various ways enemy and ally health. Have a look in there until you find the set up you like.

Players need to set the auto centre option on if they want it on as well. The DM option isn't a global one.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2018, 18:44
And make sure you drag PCs to the combat tracker then drag the PC tokens from the combat tracker to the map. Don't drag them to the map from the PC sheets or from the portraits on the top right of the desktop.

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 18:46
Yes, I have the option selected correctly (I think)...see attachment.

I have the auto-center on, but it's not auto centering on the PCs actions (on the GM client), is that possible?

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 18:48
And make sure you drag PCs to the combat tracker then drag the PC tokens from the combat tracker to the map. Don't drag them to the map from the PC sheets or from the portraits on the top right of the desktop.

This was the answer to both questions! Thank you very much!

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 23:40
One of my characters in my upcoming campaign is a moon druid and we're trying to get a handle on wildshape. I found this thread with the following advice from Trenloe:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27094-Druid-Wild-Shape-NPC-Module

1) Add the NPC to the combat tracker.
Then in any order:
2) Change the faction (helmet/face icon) of the NPC in the combat tracker from red to green. This is the main thing you need to do to allow the players to interact with the NPC token on the map.
3) Share the link from the combat tracker with the player.
4) Add the NPC token to a map.
And finally:
5) The player needs to select the token on the map (left-click once so that a dark border surrounds it) then CTRL+left-click on the target - the white target arrow will appear.

Question: How do I, "Share the link from the combat tracker with the player?" I'm trying to get it to the point where the player sees the creature's attack and damage macros to use as they would a normal melee attack.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2018, 23:43
Question: How do I, "Share the link from the combat tracker with the player?" I'm trying to get it to the point where the player sees the creature's attack and damage macros to use as they would a normal melee attack.
Drag/Drop the link from the CT to a PC portrait owed by the player in question (on the top-left of desktop). This is also the way to share any FG data record with an individual player.

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 23:47
Another silly question: In the GM view of the Combat Tracker (and not the Player's), there are little numbers floating over the character portraits (e.g. 0.4). What is this number indicating?

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 23:51
Drag/Drop the link from the CT to a PC portrait owed by the player in question (on the top-left of desktop). This is also the way to share any FG data record with an individual player.

Is there a way to give the player access to the attacks though? Bite[M][ATK:+3][DMG:1d6+2 piercing] so they can automate their melee attacks?

Trenloe
February 21st, 2018, 23:51
Another silly question: In the GM view of the Combat Tracker (and not the Player's), there are little numbers floating over the character portraits (e.g. 0.4). What is this number indicating?
The scaling of the tokens - if auto scaling is used (default is on) or if you've manually scaled the token. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2018, 23:53
Is there a way to give the player access to the attacks though? Bite[M][ATK:+3][DMG:1d6+2 piercing] so they can automate their melee attacks?

They won't be able to access the attacks directly on the combat tracker, but they should be able to roll those attacks from the NPC actions list by hovering over the attack and damage text, and dragging or double-clicking.

Regards,
JPG

Hjorimir
February 21st, 2018, 23:54

Never mind, I found that you can still pull the attack and damage from the creature's description (it just didn't appear that way).

Trenloe (and co.), thank you SO much for your help!

JohnD
February 22nd, 2018, 04:25
You would REALLY benefit from a few sessions with the FG College folks.

Hjorimir
February 27th, 2018, 17:45
According to the wiki, I should be able to enable a mask mode on my maps. I see the button, but clicking it does nothing as far as I can tell. The wiki also says that I can enable it via the layers radial menu, but there are no mask mode options (just snap grid on/off, gird on/off, change grid to hex, and disable links). Running my first session tonight, so any quick help is very appreciated.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2018, 17:47
According to the wiki, I should be able to enable a mask mode on my maps. I see the button, but clicking it does nothing as far as I can tell. The wiki also says that I can enable it via the layers radial menu, but there are no mask mode options (just snap grid on/off, gird on/off, change grid to hex, and disable links). Running my first session tonight, so any quick help is very appreciated.
Are you using a map created from an image file? Or are you just using a blank image (create new image in FG)? If the latter, you can't mask a blank map - it needs an image file for the mask.

Hjorimir
February 27th, 2018, 17:55
Are you using a map created from an image file? Or are you just using a blank image (create new image in FG)? If the latter, you can't mask a blank map - it needs an image file for the mask.
I've tried using a pre-packaged map or one of my own making. Image attached.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2018, 17:57
I've tried using a pre-packaged map or one of my own making. Image attached.
You're using the layer extension. You can only mask on the bottom layer. Be aware of what this extension can and can't do for you - read posts #1 and #2 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29

Trenloe
February 27th, 2018, 17:59
You're learning FG - I would really recommend you don't start enabling a bunch of extensions until you're more familiar with FG. And only then enable extensions that you *really* need and are aware of how they function/impact FG. Extensions by their very nature change how FG operates.

Hjorimir
February 27th, 2018, 17:59
You're using the layer extension. You can only mask on the bottom layer. Be aware of what this extension can and can't do for you - read posts #1 and #2 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29

Thank you so much!