PDA

View Full Version : Talked out?

Wraith
April 3rd, 2006, 12:24
Well it sure is quiet around the message boards lately. Has everyone finally gotten talk out? Just thought I would post something to let everyone know there is still someone out here checking the boards for interesting topics. It's not much of a community if no ones talking.

joeru
April 3rd, 2006, 13:00
Well it sure is quiet around the message boards lately. Has everyone finally gotten talk out? Just thought I would post something to let everyone know there is still someone out here checking the boards for interesting topics. It's not much of a community if no ones talking.

Guess people are saving energy to discuss 1.06.

richvalle
April 3rd, 2006, 14:09
Or doing all their talking on in the chat group.

:)

rv

Cypher
April 3rd, 2006, 17:10

:)

rv

You're just trying to stir up controversy rich :D

gurney9999
April 3rd, 2006, 17:41
It seems that most of the discussions lately have been around rulesets and campaigns. General chatter has slowed down some, but I think things will pick up when 1.06 is released.

Snikle
April 3rd, 2006, 18:26

LOL, good thing I cannot get in there from work, I would get nothing done!

richvalle
April 3rd, 2006, 19:08
Yeah. I don't even want to try.

Hey! I made a character for Serenity RPG for kicks. Was pretty fun and didn't take too long.

rv

BaldMike
April 3rd, 2006, 20:46
Well, as someone very new to this site, I stop by about everyday just to see if there is anything new being brought up, discussed, etc.

For giggles, I went back to the very early posts in this board and noticed alot of names that I don't see right now. I don't want to hijack your thread, hopefully this ties in sufficiently, but where did everybody go? I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this as well as maybe why no one is talking much now.

Wraith, maybe you should put a poll together for this and see what people think? I know there is alot of talk about 1.06 and the possible conspiracy between coordinated delays of particular products. ;) Maybe people are saving up for the release? Or maybe it's because I joined the community?

Just a few random, perhaps goofy, thoughts...

ghedrain
April 4th, 2006, 14:43
It's not just this board that's dying down it's pretty much all d&d pen and paper boards. Maybe it's the weather getting so nice more people are doing stuff other than trolling on their computers.

Cypher
April 4th, 2006, 18:28
It's not just this board that's dying down it's pretty much all d&d pen and paper boards. Maybe it's the weather getting so nice more people are doing stuff other than trolling on their computers.

It's those damn computer games!

*shakes his fist at imaginary kids playing games*

Daeghrefn
April 4th, 2006, 18:31
It's those damn computer games!

*shakes his fist at imaginary kids playing games*

Yeah, DDO just launched late February, early March. I must admit, I too, am playing it. But for me, it just makes me want to play P&P all that much more... and FG is gonna help me do it (I hope).

mr_h
April 4th, 2006, 18:54
Played the DDO Beta...eh, wasn't impressed, but that's me :)

Cypher
April 4th, 2006, 20:49
Played the DDO Beta...eh, wasn't impressed, but that's me :)

A friend of mine played in the beta, and he's an avid D&D player. His response was pretty much the same so I just skipped it. I'm not playing a pay-to-play game unless I get an "oh my god it's the best game ever!" reaction.

I don't plan on playing any in the near future :P

richvalle
April 5th, 2006, 00:07
ghedrain: Except Enworld. That place is just crazy.

BaldMike: Yeah, I noticed this too. I think some people just get tied up in their games and don't need to come back here any more. Some just post their ?, get their answer and are gone again.

Back when Adventuresome Dreams was alive (sniff!) We had 100's of of people join the site but only a handfull ever posted with any regularity. Something like 50-1 or maybe even more.

I've noticed FG is advertising on Enworld and some people here are getting the word out on other sites. As the base grows we'll get more of those '1''s out of the 50's. :)

rv

Snikle
April 5th, 2006, 00:12
Hey, I got three people from a Serenity RPG forum to purchase FG after I went around there posting a bit. Go FG!

'Course, if 1.06 doesn't materialize soon, I may go around posting nasty grams on all the forums I can find! :eek:

BaldMike
April 5th, 2006, 03:16
Yeah, I played DDO but then I realized it wasn't D&D. Never have been one for Everquest, WoW, etc. but they advertised that DDO was different. It wasn't for me. But I will give it credit for helping me find this site, read about it in a post on one of the DDO forums about, what else, PnP D&D. So it all worked out in the end. :D

Griogre
April 5th, 2006, 04:49
I had the same problem with Neverwinter Nights. I liked Neverwinter and some of my friends and I had a good time with it, but it really made me *want* to play D&D. I thought it was a good game, but it wasn't really D&D.

DarkStar
April 5th, 2006, 09:24
NwN sucks, honestly. It was beautiful, it had D&D rules, it had awesome tools, but if we are talking of roleplaying games, the plot was one of the worst I have ever seen. ;) Every chapter had the same scheme - central location and four neighbouring, go there, kill that, go there, bring that, don't forget to kill everyone while you retrieve the item. Ugh.

If it wasn't for the great Aurora Toolkit NwN would be a very mediocre game at most.

Now, since Obsidian took over the title and is working on the sequel, I'm waiting for it with great anticipation, having in mind their previous titles - Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, which rocked! I hope that NwN2 will have: better graphics ;), even better toolset and most importantly - good plot.

Wraith
April 5th, 2006, 09:44
I think that is why I never got into the games like DDO, NwN, and WoW. You have to kill everyone you can't talk the kobolds into putting thier weapons down by killing thier leader, or bribe the jail keeper into leting you go. It just never was really an RPG to me it was a really fancy dungeon crawl.

Daeghrefn
April 5th, 2006, 14:40
I didn't mean to hijack the thread with the DDO post, so sorry. DDO is not like other MMORPG's, but it isn't P&P D&D either. I think they've done a better job of incorporating skills, feats and spells into a MMORPG setting.

I enjoyed NWN myself, for the same reasons mentioned above: it was fun. It wasn't "real" D&D either, but the problem with a computer-based game is the plot has to be scripted. Unless you define a GM with an AI of it's own, there's no way for the game script/plot to adapt itself to the party. That's an unreasonable expectation.

It's fun. I can't play "real" P&P D&D with my friends (they don't own FG yet, despite my begging), so we enjoy our time together on D&D or NWN. Yeah, those games aren't true D&D, but they're close enough adaptations that it's enough for me. And besides, they're the best adaptations of a D&D game I've seen yet. And NWN2 has me excited too.

Griogre
April 5th, 2006, 17:31
NwN sucks, honestly. It was beautiful, it had D&D rules, it had awesome tools, but if we are talking of roleplaying games, the plot was one of the worst I have ever seen. ;) Every chapter had the same scheme - central location and four neighbouring, go there, kill that, go there, bring that, don't forget to kill everyone while you retrieve the item. Ugh.

If it wasn't for the great Aurora Toolkit NwN would be a very mediocre game at most.

Now, since Obsidian took over the title and is working on the sequel, I'm waiting for it with great anticipation, having in mind their previous titles - Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, which rocked! I hope that NwN2 will have: better graphics ;), even better toolset and most importantly - good plot.

Overly harsh, I think. For what it was, a computer RPG, it was beautiful. I agree, the original campaign was not that good - I didn't finish it. The stuff some fans did was very good. What I agree with you is that without a DM, the scripting in any computer RPG is limiting. It's the nature of the media. I've made computer RPG's and there is only so much you can do with scripting. There is the constant trade off of game impact vs. how many fans will see the scripting. The farther you get from the mainline quest the smaller amount of time you can spend on that part of the game. Where NWN may have made the most impact is having an editor most fans could use... and a poor DM interface. Having a DM interface at all was big, IMHO.

I'm pretty excited about NWN2 too, but I know it is a computer game and expect it to have all the limitations of one. It will be interesting if NWN2 has a better DMing interface. I only expect some small improvements.

DarkStar
April 5th, 2006, 19:12
Just look at old Planescape: Torment, the best cRPG ever, in my opinion. NwN is nowhere close to that. You can do great things for computers, you just need to have a good plot, which will compensate for the restrictions.

BaldMike
April 5th, 2006, 19:20
I'm not sure if this thread was hijacked a little or not but we got people talking again!

Rich, to your point maybe that is it. People get wrapped in their games and feel like they don't need to come back here unless they have questions. Nothing wrong with that at all, but for me I enjoy the community aspect of the forum. Just find it pleasurable to hear what others are doing, discuss ideas, etc.

Re computer RPGs, I guess that's it. Without a real DM it will always be limited. I wonder if a computerized DM (AI) could be smart enough to replace a human one at some point? Now that's a question that might draw some interesting replies! :D