PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds 5e Auto Web Site - DM Testers wanted

trevorgall
February 19th, 2018, 10:57
Hi

I have developed an auto web site generator for 5e FG Campaigns. (May work for pathfinder games as well)

Its based on uploading your DB.xml, Dmasters campaign file, and a zip file of your campaign images.

You can see the result from my own FG campaign here.

https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083/campaign?campaign=Jarlesberg%20Journeys

The idea is that ALL you need to do is upload the db.xml file, into the management interface and the site is auto generated.

You then give out the above URL to your players, where 'Jarlesberg%20Journeys' is replaced by your own campaign name.

After each session, just upload the current db.xml to revise the player site. No more manually updating other sites, and players can look up info on your campaign with out the host server running.

Anyone want to give it a try , let me know.

I'm still testing the XML parser, so i need a variety of db.xmls to test it out.

Shod.

damned
February 19th, 2018, 11:51
Well done trevorgall
Are you hosting it on IIS or Apache/nginx?

Gwydion
February 19th, 2018, 12:30
Wow! Looks really cool will definitely try it out. Question. What do you mean by “dmasters campaign file”?

Zacchaeus
February 19th, 2018, 13:43
Wow! Looks really cool will definitely try it out. Question. What do you mean by “dmasters campaign file”?

He means the db.xml file that you find in any campaign in the FGData/Campaigns/Campaign Name folder

Nickademus
February 19th, 2018, 14:59
Interesting idea. You will run into some legal issues with the "and a zip file of your campaign images" as there will likely be copyright infringement and DMs don't have access to the images of a WotC product to create the zip.

Also, the site shows a lot of information about the characters (and possibly the campaign) that a DM might not want the rest of the players to know. Is there a way to filter what gets displayed? For instance, say I don't want the players knowing the inventory of every character. Can I remove that part of the parsing?

Axoid
February 19th, 2018, 15:02
So how do we participate in this? Is there a link were we can upload our files?

Nylanfs
February 19th, 2018, 17:05
Click on Manage at the end and it brings you to a log-in screen

Bidmaron
February 19th, 2018, 17:54
Stupid question: your site is Golarion and that is Pathfinder default setting. Why is this 5e at all?

Zacchaeus
February 19th, 2018, 18:11
Indeed, I'd echo what Nickademus says above. I would not be uploading images which are copyright and in most cases anyway you would not want to reveal maps which the players have not already seen. So I would be leery about the image thing.

Bidmaron
February 19th, 2018, 18:36
If the site were password protected a user has a fair use right to material he has purchased. He must take reasonable precautions to protect the material. A player could screen shot and steal something during the game after all.

As for exposing images not seen, if it is using the db.xml, it should know if the GM has shared the image and therefore is known?

Thegroo
February 19th, 2018, 20:01
Looking good

Zacchaeus
February 19th, 2018, 20:08
As for exposing images not seen, if it is using the db.xml, it should know if the GM has shared the image and therefore is known?

I'm sure it does, but the masking is stored in a separate file and I don't think you can show a file that would include the masking other than in FG. But I don't know enough about what the OP is doing so it may be possible.

trevorgall
February 19th, 2018, 20:32
HI.. Thanks for the replies.

IIS. Just a small test server at home for this at moment.

I can see a few uploaded files, thanks. Ill check the parsing on them.

Images and storyline entries need to be shared with the players to allow to be seen. (ie they are tagged as PUBLIC) in the xml file.
I look at the images entries inn the db.xml file, to determine if they should be shown. But I don't do anything with the in-game masking.
But yes any copyrite issues need to be understood by Dms.

Re Golarion/5e.. yeah we started that campaign a year ago, in pathfinder, and switched to 5e this year, but same game, my players migrated the chars, so just stayed in same world of course. Its just a map. :)

Yes to try use this link.

https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083

Register, Create your site name and upload your db.xml and your away!

But only alpha vers.. so I expect issues until get a variety of campaign files to test.

And db.xml files with very little content will struggle to work properly.

Shod

ddavison
February 19th, 2018, 21:43
That looks pretty good. This is very much like another project I've had on my radar/queue for a while. I was thinking that the characters would link up with info from the chatlog analytics on hits, kills, etc and the site would include even greater detail for NPCs defeated for people that wanted to drill in deeper. There were several issues with copyright that I hadn't fully wrapped my head around and obviously picking and choosing which parts to share or hide.

Take a peek:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37768-Campaign-Game-Statistics

Ctmega
February 19th, 2018, 21:53
I am happy to host this for you if need be...

(No cost of course)

PM me if interested.

Axoid
February 19th, 2018, 23:18
Click on Manage at the end and it brings you to a log-in screen

I registered and uploaded my campaign db.xml file. How do I access it now to view and share it, or is it just for you to run some tests at the moment?

trevorgall
February 20th, 2018, 02:31
For your players

https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083/campaign?campaign=yourcampaigname

Or to manage your campaigns..
https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083 login in select from dropdown.

Shod.

trevorgall
February 20th, 2018, 02:33
Interesting so your getting stats from the logs??

Shod.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2018, 03:28
Interesting so your getting stats from the logs??

Shod.
Yep, it's pretty fun to see. Who does the most damage, takes the most damage etc.

trevorgall
February 20th, 2018, 04:47
LOl.. in my game prob the female cleric player.. lol..
How do you handle mutiple session files?

trevorgall
February 20th, 2018, 12:20
Just updated site. to handle a few campaigns ppl have tried.

Updated instns a little.. notes on careful with images etc.

Also amended security..you need to register and log in first before uploading.

also shows the player URL on the campaign site page , when you access it, so you can copy and give to players.

Shod.

ddavison
February 20th, 2018, 16:07
LOl.. in my game prob the female cleric player.. lol..
How do you handle mutiple session files?

The chatlog continues to accumulate per campaign so I just replace the results with the new results when an update is sent in. It could be modified further to split it up per session if it looks for indicators of loads for each total.

trevorgall
February 20th, 2018, 21:43
Cool idea.. mind if i add a page to my site with something similar?.. ill drop your name as credit for the idea.. i can use some .net graphs controls.. What did yo do the coding in?

ddavison
February 20th, 2018, 21:49
I wrote a desktop .net app to read the chatlog file and output a CSV that I just manually imported to mySQL. The website uses PHP and I used Google charts IIRC.

trevorgall
February 22nd, 2018, 20:53
Cool all, got some good responses.. about 6 campaigns up so far. Most are just the chars and inventory.
Looking at following ddavisions idea and adding a stats page (will credit you, mate)

Shod.

st4lk3r87
February 22nd, 2018, 21:29
I feel very stupid but I can't upload my campaign. It keeps telling me: "Enter a Campaign Name First!"

Gwydion
February 23rd, 2018, 13:05
Hey, Trevor. I uploaded a POTA campaign. Tried to try some others but kept getting errors. Maybe we are only allowed one? Also, what should I expect to see? I saw some of the characters but not all and saw one that isn't an "active" character but is in the campaign. Also didn't see anything in the story or inventory. Wasn't sure if I should or not. Just trying to help test. Love the idea!

trevorgall
February 25th, 2018, 23:53
Yup enter a campaign name (whatever yu wish) on the left box on first screen.
Then click add.
if you get error on the XML..send to me.. the db.xml..

Ill add a check for errors tonight... so i can auto check the file myself.

trevorgall
February 25th, 2018, 23:54
Thanks re - active ., yes ill need to check a flag for that and exclude.
Check your STORY TAB.
PARTY INVENTORY.
Trev.

Gwydion
February 26th, 2018, 13:29
Hey, Trevor! I think I'm being an idiot. I guess I'm still not clear what story entries should show up on the webpage. I understand I need to create a notes page and populate it to have text on the main campaign page, but I've uploaded my db.xml file and right now all I see is a few of the characters. The story and inventory pages of the website are blank. Just not sure how I decide what shows up in the story entries. Thanks!

trevorgall
February 26th, 2018, 22:26
Yeah started looking at your DB file last night.. ? the format a little different from mine.
I cant load it into FG here as it doesn't work, think its the way i store it..it may be shortened.. perhaps..ie nit fully uploaded.

Can you drop me the raw Db.xml file? So i can check it..

email to [email protected]

Axis.

Gwydion
February 27th, 2018, 14:13
Yeah started looking at your DB file last night.. ? the format a little different from mine.
I cant load it into FG here as it doesn't work, think its the way i store it..it may be shortened.. perhaps..ie nit fully uploaded.

Can you drop me the raw Db.xml file? So i can check it..

email to [email protected]

Axis.

Sounds good! Sent.

shod
March 1st, 2018, 21:18
Hey . Got it working for your campaign Gwydion. Well chars, wealth and inventory. Story entries need to be under categories to work. and shared with users, for them to appear.

Gwydion
March 1st, 2018, 22:27
Hey . Got it working for your campaign Gwydion. Well chars, wealth and inventory. Story entries need to be under categories to work. and shared with users, for them to appear.

Thanks! I will check it out and see if I have questions. Really appreciate it.

trevorgall
March 2nd, 2018, 10:31
Hey those interested.. just updated the auto FG web site

ddavison (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?15332-ddavison)
: from your idea i added chatlog upload, and stats analysis.

Added 2 menu options
CHATLOG (i clean it a little, before displaying.)
STATS : Attacks/hits , DAMAGE DONE vs TAKEN.

Tricky to parse the chatlog for this, but had a go.

MY campaign updated from last sunday's game with these new features

https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083/campaign?campaign=Jarlesberg Journeys (https://gamefungus.mooo.com:8083/campaign?campaign=Jarlesberg Journeys)

Trev

feldrol
March 10th, 2018, 21:42
Hello,
I tried with the the bd of my last two campaigns and I get an error :

For the second one :
Upload status: The file could not be uploaded: There is an error in XML document (415,30).

It does not seem 415,30 refers to line , column.

Is there a way I can check where the error comes from ?

jrh18
March 15th, 2018, 14:46
This looks really cool and I love the idea. Is this code that you are willing to share or GPL?

I was thinking of running my own server behind a VPN to remove the concern about copyrighted materials. I could then give my players VPN access.

I haven't used it but I was also wondering if it was looking at the flag that marks images with a P, which I assume means something that has been shared with the players already.

trevorgall
April 12th, 2018, 19:21
Hey srry OS at the mmnt.. will look at these when i return in a week.

trevorgall
September 18th, 2018, 01:16
HI.. getting back to this .. will drop you a note in a week.

trevorgall
September 20th, 2018, 03:04
yes it does. chekc the shared flag.

GavinRuneblade
September 25th, 2018, 07:34
I am curious about this. I see you have a story tab, where does that come from? If you use published modules do the stories you work through show up or only ones you create as a DM?

The images would cause serious copyright violations with published adventures.

viviolay
October 21st, 2018, 05:07
Hello - I was wondering if this is still something you needed testers for?
I came across this but can't access your website (connection keeps timing out for me)