PDA

View Full Version : Question about modules

Dugahst
February 18th, 2018, 13:08
Im prepping my groups first adventure in Fantasy Grounds (using the core rpg).
I've been prepping it on my desktop, however when the time comes to run it I will be running it via my laptop.
My questions is this; If I export what I've prepped (the first session) as a module (to transfer to laptop), then after the first session prep for the next session using the same campaign base on my desktop- export that and overwrite the module on the laptop will that erase all the characters, notes, etc in the campaign created on the laptop?

damned
February 18th, 2018, 13:37
Im prepping my groups first adventure in Fantasy Grounds (using the core rpg).
I've been prepping it on my desktop, however when the time comes to run it I will be running it via my laptop.
My questions is this; If I export what I've prepped (the first session) as a module (to transfer to laptop), then after the first session prep for the next session using the same campaign base on my desktop- export that and overwrite the module on the laptop will that erase all the characters, notes, etc in the campaign created on the laptop?

It wont work that way.
The data you export in a module will remain in a read only module.
It will appear to work on the laptop but when you export on the laptop only data entered or changed in that campaign on that computer will export.

What you want to do (if you havent started the campaign on the laptop already) is copy the campaign folder from the desktop to the laptop and at the end of the session copy it back.

Dugahst
February 18th, 2018, 15:08
It wont work that way.
The data you export in a module will remain in a read only module.
It will appear to work on the laptop but when you export on the laptop only data entered or changed in that campaign on that computer will export.

What you want to do (if you havent started the campaign on the laptop already) is copy the campaign folder from the desktop to the laptop and at the end of the session copy it back.

I understand the exported module data will be read only that’s the whole point. My question is if I ‘update’ the module file (on the laptop) will that effect the campaign data (pc characters, notes, etc).
I don’t want any of the above items in the module file, that way if I ever run it again I can do so easily.

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2018, 15:46
If I understand correctly the answer is no; updating the module (by amending the campaign on your desktop and exporting to a module) won't affect anything in your campaign (on your laptop) that isn't linked to the actual module. So, for example any characters in the campaign won't change nor will any notes that you make in the campaign. In fact if you changed, say, a story entry on the laptop and then changed the module on your desktop and opened it on your laptop campaign that story entry will still have your changes since the change is stored in the campaign database which does not get overwritten by the module.

damned
February 18th, 2018, 22:46
Ahhh ok.

You create a campaign on PC1 and export it.
You load it on PC2 and add charcaters etc and maybe make some changes.
You later add more content on PC1 (but not the original characters) and export it as teh same name and load it on PC2.

That should work.
It wont overwrite the PCs as they were not in that module.