PDA

View Full Version : Module Entry - questions, issues

Topdecker
February 18th, 2018, 06:02
So I am plugging away at INTO THE UNKNOWN...

I am working on the first combat encounter in the game, THE VAT GARDEN. I have keyed in / copied the target of the encounter, a ghoul named Exegara Long-Tongue. When I add her to the tracker, I get:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]: 635: attempt to concatenate field '?' (a nil value)

When the error happens, the other tokens in the encounter don't make it to the tracker or the map. Exegara makes it to the tracker, but not the map.

https://i.imgur.com/ndVgMYT.png

I've removed stuff, changed stuff, and cannot figure out what is wrecked. Any ideas? (Yeah, already considered a re-do, but she took a while...)

As long as I've snapped the image, SPACE and REACH... new stuff. Setting it to 5 seems to align with the map. Is that a correct metric for a man-sized token/combatant?

Thanks!

Octavious
February 18th, 2018, 10:00
Hey Topdecker,

I had the EXACT same problem .. I am converting into the unknown also and when I made this same exact NPC and added her and the mercenaries to the encounter I got an error when I engaged the encounter. The only difference was she didn't make it to the map but the mercenaries did.

I changed and tweaked and gave up.. I ended up deleting her and making a new one.. it worked fine after that.. I really don't think changing things in the NPC dialog will help at all I suspect the dialog itself is corrupted or possibly its having problems with white spaces or some character in one of the fields.. I would first make an encounter with her only and then one mercenary to see which one is causing the fault.. then delete it and start over with a new npc . it isn't hard to re do just copy and paste from the pdf to the correct fields.. takes about 2 minutes to re make her. so far that was the only problem I have had with the NPC creation/encounter
and notice the abilty modifiers do not update .. too ..

I believe the space and reach for her is 5 ft.. being a medium creature.. (See page 255 and 256 in the core rulebook )

Topdecker
February 18th, 2018, 16:11
I remade Exegara. Twice. I continue to get the same error, now with 3 different takes on Exegara.

I am not going to keep recreating her and hoping that it will work. (I also went in and filled out every field so that all fields had something in them.)

As a work around, I changed the mercenaries so that their name is 'Capable Mercenary' - this allows them to hit the tracker before Exegara. The only thing broken now is the error message - and her token not appearing on the map.

Handling a stat block from one of the first published adventures seems like a reasonable expectation.

Topdecker
February 18th, 2018, 16:17
I went ahead and added this to the bug report. I would not have created a thread except I hoped that I was messing it up somehow.

Octavious
February 18th, 2018, 18:53
I have found the problem spot with the NPC sheets popping the error that you are referring to . it has to do with the defensive abilities field. it does not like some things in it one is undead immunities. I don't know anything about the specific language of this but I do Know C++ and looking at the error it is popping it would be searching an array and not checking it at the end for a no find and continuing on past the length of the array .Typing anything in that field pops that error.. I typed in "dog" and it popped the error.

Topdecker
February 18th, 2018, 19:22
Hehe - I had just found it and was returning to let others know :) Thanks for figuring it out! (I got the same error when I put in the skeletal crew - at which point I started comparing the crew to the mercs).

Zeus
February 24th, 2018, 16:48
Some of the syntax for defensive abilities have changed, in this specific instance for immunities add the following string to the NPC sheet in Defensive Abilities.

Immunities undead immunties

And then add to the CT.

damned
February 25th, 2018, 00:29
Some of the syntax for defensive abilities have changed, in this specific instance for immunities add the following string to the NPC sheet in Defensive Abilities.

Immunities undead immunties

And then add to the CT.

Hey Zeus
Im assuming that there is a small typo?

Immunities undead immunities

Talen
March 2nd, 2018, 21:58
Zeus, I'm assuming there are some variations to this immunities solution? For instance, how would you handle the case of multiple immunities below (I've tried several variations and still get the concatenate error)

"Defensive Abilities warding iridescence; Immune blinded, dazzled, fascinated"

jwfitt
March 3rd, 2018, 21:56
I think I found another undead type NPC and copied over strings from that. I used:
Immunities undead immunities;

And everything is working fine for combat tracker and being added to the map.

Image: 22500

Blahness98
March 4th, 2018, 00:02
Zeus, I'm assuming there are some variations to this immunities solution? For instance, how would you handle the case of multiple immunities below (I've tried several variations and still get the concatenate error)

"Defensive Abilities warding iridescence; Immune blinded, dazzled, fascinated"

I don't know if conditions can be targets of the immune tag. I attempted something similar, and found it was only for damage types. If anything, the effect will be more for GM reference then actual automation.

Otherwise, attempt to put immune before all the conditions and separate each one with a semicolon but that may not work.

Topdecker
March 4th, 2018, 22:39
I like it when auto-complete hops in there an makes it easy for me. Hopefully that starts happening a lot more as the product matures.

ShadeRaven
March 6th, 2018, 22:31
I toyed around with this after seeing jwfitt's post as I was struggling with the same problem as the OP. What I did discover is that the Defensive Abilities field (Immunities undead immunities) was not necessary at all. It appears that all the effects (immune, save, etc) are generated by the creature type (undead).