PDA

View Full Version : Skill ranks at character creation

Azaran
February 17th, 2018, 16:31
Skill ranks per level don't look like they are working as per the rules. I have a mechanic that should have had 8 skill ranks (4+ 4 int bonus), but received 5.
An operative that should have received 10 (8+ 2 int bonus)
And a Soldier that should have received 4 (he has no int bonus) but got 3.

Bit strange :)

Az.

Treviron Riaxx
February 17th, 2018, 18:45
You can only increase a skill by 1 rank per level.

Nvm misread. It works normally at my end so don't know what to say, all the PC's I've made for testing have had their skill bonuses as intended.
Double check your attributes and make sure you drag the class when it's leveled up, not just change the level number

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 19:27
@Azaran - the total skill ranks available has been raised a couple of times in the official Starfinder bug report thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42165-Starfinder-Ruleset-Official-Products-bug-Reports

If you come across any other issues with the official Starfinder products, please post them in that thread - it helps to keep them all together. Thanks.

Azaran
February 17th, 2018, 23:13
I'll put it there now, though it could do with its own subforum for bugreports as that post may get a might unweildy

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 23:27
I'll put it there now, though it could do with its own subforum for bugreports as that post may get a might unweildy
Then a bug report subforum would get mighty unwieldy. It's easier for the devs to track bug reports in one thread. That's the current method preferred by the devs.

Samarex
February 19th, 2018, 01:07
Double check your attributes and make sure you drag the class when it's leveled up, not just change the level number

I have made it so you can no longer just change your level in the editor, This does cause issues if you do it that way.
So when leveling drag your class in and all is well.

Note on your Operative Skill Points.
A Operative actually gets (8 + Int Bonus + 2 Free).
The 2 Free Skills were added to take care of the Specialization Skills that you get for Free. These skills are marked as Free and the 2 Free points are automatically applied.
So if you make a Operative (Daredevel Spec) with a 18 Int you will get 8+4+2=14.
Your Skills tab will see
Your Ranks Spent will be 2 Available 12 Total 14 and you will see that Acrobatics and Athletics have a little Square(Free Skill) and that the rank is already 1.
This continues to be automatic as you level.
It is also Multi Class capable. So later if you multi-class and add say a Mystic. The 2 free skills will not change and you can still add skill points to them from your Mystic Skill Rank pool.

Azaran
February 19th, 2018, 08:39
Thanks Samarex, that totally answers my questions. Also that I think my players have mousewheeled up thier skill rank field in the class subwindow. I'll make sure they're all set to CTRL mousewheel to avoid any future incidents.

I recreated each character to test it out and it all worked as intended.

Az.