PDA

View Full Version : First Contact

mfairchild365
February 17th, 2018, 02:24
Does anyone know if First Contact (https://paizo.com/products/btpy9tmr?Starfinder-First-Contact) will be released for Fantasy Grounds? I've heard it is a really good way to introduce players to the system.

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 02:49
It's actually not a good way to introduce players to the system. It's really a tiny sneak preview that has feats and abilities from the core rulebook, and a few creatures that are in the Alien Archive. It was purely a sneak preview. Now that the main rulesbook and alien archive are available there's really no use for it - all of the info is elsewhere, and it doesn't give quickstart rules or anything like that.

Nylanfs
February 17th, 2018, 11:26
Plus it was ready before the system was fully designed.

Octavious
February 17th, 2018, 17:21
Hey mfairchild365,

As others have stated "First Contact" isn't really a into to playing the game, but ill go a bit further for you.

A good intro to Starfinder would be "Into the Unknown" . It is a Starfinder Society series of five quests: short adventures designed to take about 1 hour each. (probably a two session quest line)I am converting it now to FG and plan on running it in a week or two . The pdf is free at the Starfinder web site. If you want to run it yourself you can convert it , if you want to play as a beginner in my upcoming game PM me so I can contact you when I have it ready .

https://paizo.com/products/btpy9u7x?Starfinder-Society-Roleplaying-Guild-Quest-Into-the-Unknown

Bidmaron
February 17th, 2018, 19:00
Octavius, if you have converted it, I believe you can post it here if it is like Pathfinder rules because we are allowed to share conversions for any scenario or module that has not been commercially released. Trenloe, what do you think? Is Starfinder grandfathered just like Pathfinder?

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 19:24
Octavius, if you have converted it, I believe you can post it here if it is like Pathfinder rules because we are allowed to share conversions for any scenario or module that has not been commercially released.
Nope, can't do that anymore. And it was originally only Pathfinder Society products, nothing else. But can't do it anymore.

And, as noted above, there's really not much point doing First Contact, it was just a sneak preview of bits that are in the mainstream products anyway.

Bidmaron
February 17th, 2018, 19:39
Thanks, Trenloe. I wasn't certain, and I knew you would know where we are on that.

Octavious
February 17th, 2018, 21:26
Trenloe, this is "Free" pdf offered by Paizo .. so even if its for free we cant share it? It wasn't first contact .. It was the into the unknown free 5 part quest line I was converting ..I wasn't planning on sharing it but if I can I might..
thanx for any reply ..

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2018, 21:56
That's correct. Even if something is offered for free by a publisher, they still retain rights over how the information is distributed. You can't distribute any content without a publisher's permission, even if they offer it for free.

Regards,
JPG

Octavious
February 17th, 2018, 22:00
Moon Wizard .. Im clear on that now.. thanx you for the reply.

Nylanfs
February 19th, 2018, 17:13
But you could see if Smiteworks and Paizo want to offer it as a free (or $1, stupid paypal) download.

timdog88
February 25th, 2018, 01:45
Is there any plan to convert and sell the starfinder society modules?

Topdecker
February 25th, 2018, 03:16
I am pretty much done with the conversion of Into the Unknown - except for the PC SHIP portion which is actually fairly key since a fair portion of the adventure is about getting the player comfortable with roles on a starship.

How far along are you, Octavious? I image you are in a similar place.

Topdecker
February 25th, 2018, 03:22
Is there any plan to convert and sell the starfinder society modules?

I'd be happy with that, but would greatly prefer it if it were offered as a season and done annually.

That said, I am not sure how this stuff works in terms of 2 or 3 years from now with SFS. Does stuff have Paizo sponsorship as a Starfinder event or does Paizo concentrate entirely on the current season?

Octavious
February 25th, 2018, 09:18
I am pretty much done with the conversion of Into the Unknown - except for the PC SHIP portion which is actually fairly key since a fair portion of the adventure is about getting the player comfortable with roles on a starship.

How far along are you, Octavious? I image you are in a similar place.

Hey Top, Im done with into the unknown and will set up a LFP and link to the game calendar in a day or so hopefully get a game going by next Saturday (My first one, so that should be interesting) . I want to run a Starfinder compatable comedy adventure I found in the near future, I have the first adventure pdf for it now and is hilarious "Redshirts Adventure into Absurdity" if I can get ppl to play a non serious game that is .

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494568513/redshirts-vol-2-a-starfinder-comedy-ap-for-levels/comments

Blahness98
February 25th, 2018, 15:28
Redshirts was a fun read, but it will be a pain to convert. My copy (from DTRPG) is not OCR'd properly. It would take a lot of time to convert as you do have to manually type everything in. And who has that amount of time?

Octavious
February 25th, 2018, 17:09
Redshirts was a fun read, but it will be a pain to convert. My copy (from DTRPG) is not OCR'd properly. It would take a lot of time to convert as you do have to manually type everything in. And who has that amount of time?

yes that is a drawback (cant copy and paste).. so no way I'm going to type it all in ..I was however going to run it by the PDF only and type in the NPC into FG .. can take screenshots for the images,, so that way it wont be too bad to do ..