PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CoC6/Achtung! Cthuhlu

GamerDude
February 16th, 2018, 22:54
I'm a big fan of CoC/Horror style campaings in different genres. I have most of the Cthulhu material from Cubicle7 as well as the entire Achtung! Cthulhu set from Modiphius.

I am in need of at least a basic CoC 6 Rule set to start from.

Anyone have created one or know of one out there?

Thank you
Al B.

LordEntrails
February 16th, 2018, 23:35
I'm not very knowledgeable on all the available rulesets. But you should be able to use one of the generic rulesets to play any game system. Look into CoreRPG or MoreCore.

Phystus
February 16th, 2018, 23:46
There's a commercial CoC version 6 ruleset. It's $14.99 in the store.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGA070

~P

damned
February 16th, 2018, 23:58
Yep both CoC6 and CoC7 are in store.

Talyn
February 16th, 2018, 23:58
There's also the CoC 7E ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHAFGCOCCOC7ERS) which is newer (released last year) and better supported by the current developers. I'm not sure the 6E ruleset even has developers anymore? The 7E ruleset was built to be backward-compatible with 6E content.

As for Achtung! Cthulhu, at one point that was on my queue but Modiphius is being extremely cagey about allowing anything on FG, or claiming they have their own internal guy working on it. Who knows, maybe that's true? But regardless, anything they publish is off limits for FG unless or until they change their minds.

GamerDude
February 17th, 2018, 00:19
Thanks all... after searching and searching I finally found the 6th ed rule set. Now to determine if it’s better to get the 7th ed rule set (I’ve no real interest in moving to 7th ed as I own nearly $700 in books for 6th ed).

damned
February 17th, 2018, 01:57
Hola gamerDude the 6e ruleset will be the most familiar to you in that case and it works well.

7e uses % stats/skills
7e has a pushing luck mechanism
7e has rules for chases

All new content is written for 7e and all 6e content will open in 7e and convert with about 95% accuracy.

The game still largely plays the same way and the theme, feel is unchanged.

There is also a Pulp Cthulhu supplement which creates more high powered PCs that are more likely to take it to the big bad and walk away intact...

LordEntrails
February 17th, 2018, 02:04
There is also a Pulp Cthulhu supplement which creates more high powered PCs that are more likely to take it to the big bad and walk away intact...
I've only played Cthulhu once, and I got the distinct impression no one is supposed to live long!

damned
February 17th, 2018, 02:50
I've only played Cthulhu once, and I got the distinct impression no one is supposed to live long!

Its definitely a different style of play...

ianmward
February 17th, 2018, 03:11

Most people I speak to think Pulp Cthulhu is perfect for Achtung! Cthulhu, though some minor conversion is required.

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 16:12
Now to determine if it’s better to get the 7th ed rule set (I’ve no real interest in moving to 7th ed as I own nearly $700 in books for 6th ed).
I have many dozens of CoC books from 1st edition to 7th. I can use all of them in CoC 7th Edition with only minor on-the-fly modifications. CoC 6th edition is also a solid ruleset. If you want to play with the latest CoC version (7th) go ahead and play with that. If you're happy playing in 6th edition then play with that - you'll have great fun whichever one you choose. :)

GamerDude
February 17th, 2018, 22:28
Thanks Everyone.

While I have a ton of stuff for playing CoC6th I haven't played it but a few times. That lack of familiarity is a large part of my hesitancy. I'm good transferring DnD 3.x or PF into DnD5th because I'm reasonably well versed in those systems. *scratches head*

Trenloe
February 17th, 2018, 22:35
While I have a ton of stuff for playing CoC6th I haven't played it but a few times. That lack of familiarity is a large part of my hesitancy. I'm good transferring DnD 3.x or PF into DnD5th because I'm reasonably well versed in those systems. *scratches head*
Look at the free 7e quick start rules here: https://www.chaosium.com/free-quick-start-pdf/ They include a section on converting previous versions - it really is super easy. Way easier than converting D&D 3.5/PF to 5E.

damned
February 17th, 2018, 22:37
Typically 6e Characteristics are multiplied by 5 to get 7e characteristics.
EDU is a little more granular with 6e scores up to 18 being x5 and then scores above 18 gain only an additional 1 point per point - eg 20 is 92 (rather than 100).
HP are (CON+SIZ)/10 and round down
Damage Bonus for weak characters (negative bonuses have been reduced from -1d4 to -1, from -1d6 to -2).
There are a few others but these are the main ones I think.

kerrigaj
February 28th, 2019, 14:54
I am considering planning an Achtung! Cthulhu campaign using my purchsed rulebooks and scenarios, and plan to develop my own module for personal use. Has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

My first hurdle is creating occupations used in Achtung! Cthulhu within the 6th Edition Cthulhu ruleset. Unlike 7th Edition, 6th Edition does not have editable Occupations. So, where to start?

All suggestions welcomed.

Talyn
February 28th, 2019, 17:04
I'd probably just do it in 7E if you have that (sounds like you do?) and call it a day. 7E is better supported with more modern features.

tlavalle
June 26th, 2019, 18:03
I have an extension somewhere, that modified the coc skills for use of the achtung! skills

kerrigaj
June 26th, 2019, 20:05
I have an extension somewhere, that modified the coc skills for use of the achtung! skills

Thanks for responding to the request - I had almost given up on finding anything!

Would you be able to share the extension by any chance?

Cheers

ianmward
June 27th, 2019, 01:38
I'd probably just do it in 7E if you have that (sounds like you do?) and call it a day. 7E is better supported with more modern features.

Modiphius have released the 7e version of the rules now, so it may be easy to create a module now...