PDA

View Full Version : FG Crash

Dax Doomslayer
February 14th, 2018, 19:47
Hi Folks,
I was in the process of adding a campaign to FG when it crashed on me. When I went back, nothing but the images seem to be showing. From what I've researched, if I go to the FG Data >>Campaigns>>Name of Campaign and rename the latest back up from "db.backup.1518635827" to "db.xml", it would restore my work to the last system back up. Is this correct? Also, it did give me an error message about Theogeek's Improved Critical when I rebooted FG so I did disable that extension. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2018, 21:46
Whenever FG starts up it creates a file called db.restore.xml. When FG reopens after a crash it renames this file to db.backup, so the backup will not include all the work that you did from the beginning of the session until the crash. In most cases the actual db.xml file will be more up to date and so it will only be necessary to use the backup if for some reason the db.xml is corrupted, which in your case sounds possible. Obviously you should back up everything before you start deleting or renaming files. And yes if you rename the backup to db.xml you will get at least to the point where you started the session.

damned
February 14th, 2018, 21:54
You can see the different sizes of the files.
Rename db.xml to dead.xml and copy the largest most recent backup file to db.xml.
Dont rename it in case its something else causing the crash and you lose your one copy at the same time.

Dax Doomslayer
February 14th, 2018, 22:13
Thanks Zacchaeus and damned! OK - one thing with Windows 10, it doesn't show the .xml. Thus the file is named db. So, if I'm hearing this right, I should basically: 1). make a copy of the db file; 2). rename the existing db file to dead; 3). copy the last and biggest backup file to the db file; 4). launch the program. Is that correct? Thanks.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2018, 22:18
Thanks Zacchaeus and damned! OK - one thing with Windows 10, it doesn't show the .xml. Thus the file is named db. So, if I'm hearing this right, I should basically: 1). make a copy of the db file; 2). rename the existing db file to dead; 3). copy the last and biggest backup file to the db file; 4). launch the program. Is that correct? Thanks.
Every version of Windows in the last 2 decades doesn't show file extensions for known file type. Their is a folder/view option that you have to turn off/uncheck. If you have trouble figuring out exactly how Google it. I'm using Win 7 otherwise I would give you the exact comamnds.

Dax Doomslayer
February 14th, 2018, 22:21
Ahhh - I always had it showing detail. It's just a check box to check on the View tab in Windows Explorer. Thanks LordEntrails.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2018, 22:23
Ahhh - I always had it showing detail. It's just a check box to check on the View tab in Windows Explorer. Thanks LordEntrails.
Certainly. It's the one of the first things I change every time I get a new computer or (re)install Windows :)

damned
February 14th, 2018, 22:37
Certainly. It's the one of the first things I change every time I get a new computer or (re)install Windows :)

And yet you are running Windows 7???

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2018, 22:48
And yet you are running Windows 7???
Yep. Work computers I don't get to choose. And if I have to use W7 at work, don't know of any reason not to keep using it at home.

Dax Doomslayer
February 14th, 2018, 22:52
Just so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, if I'm hearing this right, I should basically: 1). make a copy of the db file; 2). rename the existing db file to dead; 3). copy the last and biggest backup file to the db file; 4). launch the program. Is that correct? Thanks everyone!!

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2018, 23:06
Just back up the entire campaign folder for safety. Then you can edit anything in the original campaign and still have all the potential files that you might want to reinstate

Topdecker
February 14th, 2018, 23:20
It looks paranoid until it saves my bacon...

https://i.imgur.com/Zf1jN1I.png

The 'campaigns.rar' contains stuff intentionally deleted - keeps me from doing full backups when I am just creating a module or document for sharing.

Dax Doomslayer
February 14th, 2018, 23:36
Cool - it looks like that did the trick (for now anyway - lol). Thanks!!

damned
February 14th, 2018, 23:45
TopDecker
I do something similar (although not too religiously) and let the backup sync to Dropbox and OneDrive.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36930-Can-t-load-5e-campaign&p=323768&viewfull=1#post323768