PDA

View Full Version : Custom Effects

poobah_1
February 13th, 2018, 21:31
So I have a question if something can be done or not. I am the DM in my campaign so I am looking at applying these for NPC's

I want to start using more effects to have a more dynamic impact on gameplay. Frankly, I forget to apply certain passive effects and such.

So within the current ruleset, can you have an effect that is triggered on being struck by a melee attack. So if struck my melee weapon, take 2d6 necrotic damage....

Is that possible?

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2018, 21:52
Not following completely.

If you’re talking about doing extra damage when you are attacking, then you would add an effect like “DMG: 2d6 necrotic”

If you’re talking about some sort of protective shield that damages any attackers that hit you, then there is not an effect like that. You would have to apply the damage as a separate action.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
February 13th, 2018, 22:12
The effect you are looking for would be DMG: 2d6 necrotic, melee. However this would apply the damage to any melee attack not just to an attack with a particular weapon (like Moon Wizard I'm not super clear on what you want to do).

If you want to limit the damage to just one weapon then you would need to apply the effect, just like sneak attack damage for example, just before damage is rolled. You might also get some mileage out of this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)).

poobah_1
February 14th, 2018, 00:03
Not following completely.

If you’re talking about some sort of protective shield that damages any attackers that hit you, then there is not an effect like that. You would have to apply the damage as a separate action.

Regards,
JPG

Hi Moon,

It is the protective effect. Lots of spells and creatures have this feature and it's hard to remember to apply it every time. Typically creatures that are real hot, real cold, or real evil have some type of aura or shield that would "protect" it by dealing out damage when struck by a melee weapon.

If is it not present, could an extension be written? Something that would create an effect like

GRANTDMGATK: 2d6 necrotic, melee

!!!

If not, where can I suggest this to be included in a future release. I can see lots of application.

Thanks

Poobah

Trenloe
February 14th, 2018, 00:18
If not, where can I suggest this to be included in a future release. I can see lots of application.
See the Wish List link in Moon Wizard's signature.