PDA

View Full Version : Discord vs. Teampspeak

rob2e
February 13th, 2018, 19:41
So there's a LOT of controversy here.

TeamSpeak is the OLD standard. TeamSpeak is what everyone USED to use. A lot of people still do.

When I first started using Discord, I was EXTREMELY resistant. It has a learning curve JUST LIKE FANTASY GROUNDS DOES!

It does take some getting used to, but once you do, you'll react the same way you did when you when you started using FG, you'll never go back to anything else.

I uninstalled TeamSpeak about a year ago. I understand there is a lot of resistance to Discord, but there is now an official Fantasy Grounds Discord server... (https://discord.gg/ezNkcnq)

THIS IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!! Everyone should get on board. FG Con 12 is using this as it's main communication. My suggestion (and this IS only my humble opinion) is to try it out and give it a chance. You won't regret it.

davann
February 13th, 2018, 19:51
Tried it out. Fails to "see" my mic. Teamspeak has no issue with my mic. I'm still getting the hang of FG, learning Discord would just be more work. For now, I'm happy sticking with what works for me.

BTW, love your work. Just purchased your complete works yesterday from DM Guild.

rob2e
February 13th, 2018, 20:28
Tried it out. Fails to "see" my mic. Teamspeak has no issue with my mic. I'm still getting the hang of FG, learning Discord would just be more work. For now, I'm happy sticking with what works for me.

BTW, love your work. Just purchased your complete works yesterday from DM Guild.

ThanX for the support! Regarding Discord, I would keep an interest. Again, there IS a learning curve, and as far as recognizing your mic, I'm sure you can get help with that and get it sorted. I myself am not an expert, as a matter of fact, I am having trouble with my mic and sound today, but it's not Discord, it's OBS and for streaming. I am NOT an expert on this sound/video stiuff, but I do know that I'll never restrict myself to the limits of TS when Discord works better and does SO MUCH MORE!

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2018, 20:29
The whole mic thing is strange. As Laerun pointed out in the other thread, make sure your mic is connected and enabled before you start the app (either one). I've had players have problems with both applications and their mic. Never had time to get to root cause though *shrugs*.

Skellan
February 13th, 2018, 20:55
I switched to Discord because I found the sound quality much better, and the way you can create groups makes it easy to stay in touch with your group.

Andraax
February 13th, 2018, 21:53
Can I send two different sound streams as two different users to Discord, and allow the players to adjust volume / mute one of them but not the other? Also, it seems that Discord doesn't handle music nearly as well as Teamspeak (at least, last time I tried).

Edit: I just checked the Discord settings. Still don't see a way to setup two identities.

Zacchaeus
February 13th, 2018, 22:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7dVeJhTKaE Try this

Skellan
February 13th, 2018, 22:22
You can run the test version and the normal one - you can also have an identity through a browser. rob2e has a you tube vid that shows how to do it. Personally, I use vlc to stream sounds/music though

Andraax
February 13th, 2018, 22:33
I can do it with only running one client in Teamspeak, and it's a simple configuration option. Let me know when that's available for Discord.

Myrdin Potter
February 14th, 2018, 15:10
I have run large fleet battles with hundreds of players on Eve Online via Teamspeak. I have Discord installed and the typing free form bulletin board helps to organize compared to sending emails, but I much prefer Teamspeak for my voice communications. I have seen little sign that the very large MMOs have moved to Discord for mission critical things.

I have confirmed that I can get Teamspeak working through the Great Firewall in China without a VPN. Has this been tested for Discord?

seycyrus
February 14th, 2018, 22:05
Can you set up Discord to work with VAC to pipe music over as a separate identity like you can on teamspeak?

Edit: Failed my read thread skill. Apparently you cannot.

Malkavian_Andi
February 15th, 2018, 15:14
I personally don't like Discord. The app resists being installed on my computer, and often it doesn't broadcast what I say, so I talk and nobody hears me.
I used to be quite glad FG uses a Teamspeak server, because I never had any problems with Teamspeak.

Gwydion
February 15th, 2018, 15:33
Can you set up Discord to work with VAC to pipe music over as a separate identity like you can on teamspeak?

Edit: Failed my read thread skill. Apparently you cannot.

Seycyrus, I'm not sure why you say you cannot set up Discord to work with VAC to pipe music over as a separate identify like you can on teamspeak. I've piped music and other sound programs into Teamspeak and Discord myself and recently started using VLC to stream directly to the players without a separate identity. I'm testing another process now and started another thread about it as I begin to test it. There was a recent issue with spotify on discord that has been talked about but unless I'm mistaken I don't think that affected the ability of folks to stream other types of music through discord with a separate identity.

Trenloe
February 15th, 2018, 15:53
Seycyrus, I'm not sure why you say you cannot set up Discord to work with VAC to pipe music over as a separate identify like you can on teamspeak.
Separate identity is the key thing - without this the players can't control the volume of the background music/SFX separately from the GM.

Related question - can you adjust the volume of each individual in the channel?

Gwydion
February 15th, 2018, 15:55
Separate identity is the key thing - without this the players can't control the volume of the background music/SFX separately from the GM.

Related question - can you adjust the volume of each individual in the channel?

Got it. Yes. I think the difference is that I think of my separate discord instance (client) as an identity but I suppose it is different as you literally need to log in with two separate instances of discord if you want to separate sounds from your voice and in teamspeak you log in once and create multiple identities. Yes, in discord you can adjust the volume of each individual in the channel so players can decide how loud they want the sound discord instance to be individually.

Nemori
February 15th, 2018, 17:27
Separate "identity" is possible by using of bots or by having two accounts. Volume can be adjusted per entity in the chat and IIRC can be enforced from server side - you can set server volume or server mute.

I would not advise to use the two accounts method (ie. the one that's closest to how it's done on TS), because the Discord client doesn't let you stream at high quality, regardless of the channel settings. Bots can go up to 96kbps, however they are a bit more tricky to set up.

Like Skellan said, I also find it a great tool to organize our group, post announcements and so on. Although I've had problems with Discord picking the right audio interface every now and then, especially if I don't have the headset plugged in before starting the client. Last session one of our players failed to notice that his audio wasn't working for good half an hour, so yeah, your mileage may vary :)

Gwydion
February 15th, 2018, 17:40
Although I've had problems with Discord picking the right audio interface every now and then, especially if I don't have the headset plugged in before starting the client.

Had to add my 2 cents to this. I 100% agree with you! I have written instructions next to my computer setup on exactly what programs to start, what order, etc.. I've learned from experience to start discord after I have launched syrsincape, changed inputs, plugged in my mic and headset, etc. If I don't launch discord last I've had problems with my mic either not picking up at the beginning or picking up for a while and then dropping out. I haven't seen issues yet if I start it after I've done everything else first!

rob2e
February 15th, 2018, 17:40
You can also use Discord PTB (Public Test Build) to operate two simultaneous instances of Discord. Should you need that.

Ram Tyr
February 15th, 2018, 19:54
I recommend folks read the privacy policies of any app they use that they regularly reveal information about themselves on. Like any app used for communicating.

Do what you think is right, best, and good... just be informed when you make that judgement.

davann
February 16th, 2018, 18:25
Great suggestion RamzaoTyr. I am curious, are you hinting at one of these particular services or both?

tiawaz
February 26th, 2018, 17:51
The main issue i currently have with Discord is the lack of HQ Codecs like Opus, which makes music/syrinscape sounds crappy in comparison to teamspeak

lostsanityreturned
February 26th, 2018, 18:10
Teamspeak has more complex and controllable settings, better voice quality, less latency and can be easily customised to have strong sound boards and dipping features built in. This helps with the distracting oneliner players and means that resulting laughs don't have me having to repeat myself as a DM.

I have extensively used both, nearly two years of DMing on discord... but discords only benefits are for those with weaker upload speeds and its inherrent simplicity.

Nemori
February 26th, 2018, 18:48
The main issue i currently have with Discord is the lack of HQ Codecs like Opus, which makes music/syrinscape sounds crappy in comparison to teamspeak

Not correct. Discord is using Opus and the audio quality can go up to 96 kbps, I usually stream music at 64 kbps (because of bandwidth) and it's nearly indistinguishable from the original audio, at least at the volume I'm streaming it.

celestian
February 26th, 2018, 18:51
I have seen little sign that the very large MMOs have moved to Discord for mission critical things.

Really? Almost every single large guild (and small) on the WoW server I play have their own official discord servers and are required to use for raids.

Don't get me wrong, TS has much better sound quality (when your admin configures it to use them) and makes for a better ambient sound tool but discord is just far more convenient, easy and "free" ... the text channels are really useful and pretty much removes the need for guilds/groups to have forums.

If only discord would let me use a better codec I'd have no complaints about it. The sound quality for ambient music is just terrible (see the discord/ambient thread for full details).

It does use opus for voice but the quality as you say is terrible. Apparently there are "special" servers that get access to other codecs that might resolve these quality issues but it seems to be limited to "Affiliates".

davann
February 27th, 2018, 04:04
Switching to Discord due to technical issues with Teamspeak and an iPad Air with one player. Thanks to Rob2e's for his videos on Music/Syrinscape and Discord. Guess I'll have to see for myself about the quality. Sure the players will let me know if the sounds is terrible.

Majyk
February 27th, 2018, 16:57
T’other thing I really value in Discord vs TS is the ability to screenshot(FG parse errors, character sheets, gaming book rules, etc.) and share amongst the group/PMs with CTRL+V.
Might be a permissions thing in TS but I don’t think so, so there is that...

Varsuuk
March 2nd, 2018, 06:09
Discord is so "messy" looking ... so much going on.
I like Teamspeak, always have. Well, ever since switching off the Microsoft hardware solution (forgot it's name) that we first used in Everquest. Since they from MMOs to Battlefield tourneys, it has been TS.

Of course, all that just translates to "blah blah git off my lawn blah blah" cos I have trouble with transitions ;) it seems.

Sammage
March 3rd, 2018, 23:25
I know this is completely off topic...but can someone who prefers Teamspeak PM me with reasons why? I have had a much better experience personally with Discord...but I'm new to the whole thing so want to get as much data as possible.

[MODERATOR: Moved this post to a more appropriate thread]

Ahoggya
March 11th, 2018, 19:43
Plus it's much easier to set sounds up on TS than Discord.

dragonheels
March 13th, 2018, 20:59
Yes, for me TS is easier. You can have 2 sessions, one for you and one for a musical bot at the same time. And I find it easier to install the musical BOT for music, specific sounds...

Doswelk
April 6th, 2018, 09:09
Right so I am supposed to use Discord rather than Teamspeak next weekend, so I am not going to bother with sound effects, can't be arsed with all the faffing about as I have a working weekly Teamspeak config that works perfectly for my group.

What I really need is some guidance on how I am going to use Discord, the FG Teamspeak has multiple channels and I used to just create a temporary channel for my game. Looking at the FG Discord channel there just seems to be 10 game channels:

How we will know what channel to use?
We will be allocated a channel or do I just find a free one and nab it?
How will the players find us?

I am sorry if these are stupid questions but I have been using Mumble/Teamspeak for years and only use Discord for text chat and even then not too much, it is a messy product.

Basically I think I am asking for HELP!!!!!

damned
April 6th, 2018, 10:25
Instructions will be forthcoming to all FG Con GMS shortly.
You will have the ability to create your own channel and sub-channel during the FG Con event.

Doswelk
April 6th, 2018, 15:06
Instructions will be forthcoming to all FG Con GMS shortly.
You will have the ability to create your own channel and sub-channel during the FG Con event.
I hoped that was the case, but thought I'd better have a panic attack just in case :)

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2018, 18:10
I hoped that was the case, but thought I'd better have a panic attack just in case :)
Thanks for asking, it was on my list to do :)

SammyWest
April 8th, 2018, 23:53
I used to like teamspeak and the ability to host my own servers, but discord is just so much easier with the web interface and where you don't need to have a client if you don't want too.

Varsuuk
April 9th, 2018, 14:11
... and a very cluttered messy one indeed. But aesthetics are subjective.

My 11 year old manages it fine so that’s probably an endorsement as much as I dislike it compared to TS.

Speaking of which, I signed up for some ungodly 4am? Extension class so Is there some way I can hop on TS for some kind person to explain how to do voice chat in it other than being invited to a 1 to 1 chat (my only experience with it)?

I’d hate to miss it. I know the last time I tried when was trying to get some ruleset question help, I never found out how to work “rooms” but was able to use it for typed chat which is fine except not as helpful as I suck at typing my questions clearly.

TriOpticon
April 9th, 2018, 23:39
For voice chat in discord? You just click on the channel that has the speaker icon to the left of it. Text only channels have the # symbol next to them. I am using the app but I think the web interface is the same?

Varsuuk
April 10th, 2018, 00:06
I’ll go check when I make it home. It was very diffeeent than TS and all the older school (from ventrillo (when forced) to game voice by MS recall anyone? Lol) I’ve used over the years.

I think it was a problem not seeing “rooms” like those on TS currently, but perhaps I was looking in wrong way or just late night stupid.

TriOpticon
April 10th, 2018, 00:08
OK well if you need help, let me know. I have TS installed, also. I am also signed up for the Extension class but it is 5pm for me. :)

Varsuuk
April 10th, 2018, 00:10
Awesome :)

I look forward to visiting your country some day. Just got to show my son Edinburgh Castle first then will see if a Greece vacation or Far East comes next for “big” trips.

damned
April 10th, 2018, 01:18
At the moment most users on the Fantasy Grounds Discord server cannot create rooms they can use existing rooms.
Once FG Con starts GMs will be able to create rooms under the FG Con Channels group.

Varsuuk you will find little difference with Discord for most things once you start.

In relation to Voice for the Introduction session... there will be little opportunity to ask questions if we want to get thru my planned content and there will definitely not be time to answer the detailed types of questions you usually throw out there Varsuuk! :)

Ill answer what I can providing it is somewhat related to the topic being worked through and that we dont fall behind.

It is an introductory session only!

Varsuuk
April 10th, 2018, 06:53
Hah! No worries, I am only trying to get voice to listen.
1. It is at a crazy hour for me, I'll ramble worse than usual
2. I am aware it is a group thing AND time is limited.

I just didn't want to depend on it being recorded and it all working ;) I've done that in the past and unfortunate luck happened - figured to listen first hand.

MontyY
September 2nd, 2018, 15:36
I have run large fleet battles with hundreds How To Lose Weight Fast How To Get Skinny Fast How To cut weight (https://signalscv.com/2021/09/how-to-lose-weight-fast-guide-how-to-get-skinny-fast-how-to-cut-weight/) sarms cycle (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) where to buy sarms (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) sarms online (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) testogen gnc (https://pennsylvanianewstoday.com/testogen-gnc-is-it-available-through-walmart-ebay-amazon-or-gnc/241004/) Legal steroids for sale (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/09/20/crazy-bulk-review-legal-steroids-for-sale-how-it-works-legal-steroids-gnc/) How To Lose Weight Fast (https://signalscv.com/2021/09/how-to-lose-weight-fast-guide-how-to-get-skinny-fast-how-to-cut-weight/) SARMs for Sale –Review & Guide (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) where to buy sarms (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) sarms online (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/10/05/sarms-for-sale-where-to-buy-sarms-online-review-guide/) testogen gnc (https://pennsylvanianewstoday.com/testogen-gnc-is-it-available-through-walmart-ebay-amazon-or-gnc/241004/) best crazy bulk review (https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2021/09/20/crazy-bulk-review-legal-steroids-for-sale-how-it-works-legal-steroids-gnc/)of players on Eve Online via Teamspeak. I have Discord installed and the typing free form bulletin board helps to organize compared to sending emails, used dianabol too https://athletesphysiques.com/dianabol-review-results/ but I much prefer Teamspeak for my voice communications. I have seen little sign that the very large MMOs have moved to Discord for mission critical things.

I have confirmed that I can get Teamspeak working through the Great Firewall in China without a VPN. Has this been tested for Discord?

I have used both team speak and discord but my friends use team speak so i prefre team team speak all the way

Moranthus
September 5th, 2018, 03:32
Unless, of course - you're mostly deaf as I am... In which case it's just not an option...