PDA

View Full Version : What does a new DM need ?

bloodydrake
February 13th, 2018, 17:17
Hello Everyone
I'm looking at dming for some friends and got some details about pathfinder but wanted to ask the same question on the 5e side since we haven't determined which system to use

I'm looking to just use retail WoC modules but I do want to have as much automation to speed up play and cut back on prep time.
Would I just need the 5E players manual module and Curse of Strahd and or Tales from the yawning Portal modules?(two potential purchases Im interested in running)
Or to get more automation of effects etc does it require I buy the monster manual as well? Or is that really only needed if you don't use 1st party modules and making your own content etc?

any advice and insight is appreciated

Zacchaeus
February 13th, 2018, 17:47
You'll find the information in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e) helpful.

If you are running published adventures all you really need is the PHB since everything else is included in the adventure module. Of course if you want to change out some monsters or magic items the the MM and DMG are useful for that purpose.

bloodydrake
February 13th, 2018, 18:05
ok great thanks!

SirGraystone
February 13th, 2018, 19:21
Note that as a player, you can only use the books that the DM own and shared for the players to use.

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2018, 20:30
Note that as a player, you can only use the books that the DM own and shared for the players to use.
You can also use your own books if the DM allows it. (They have to allow it in their modules window)