PDA

View Full Version : Request:Ability to add Effects to weapons and abilities that aren't spells or weapons

Archamus
February 12th, 2018, 16:51
I know everyone is busy right now working out bugs, but I have a couple of feature requests.

1. The ability to add an effects line to weapons. There are a lot of weapons that have effects they can apply and currently there is no easy way to handle this as far as I know.
2. The ability to add things to the ability tab other than Spells, Spell Classes, and Weapons. I'm thinking something similar to the 5E ruleset that lets you make random abilities and even lets you categorize them. This would be immensely helpful in tracking and using class features.

Right now you can make both these things work by creating additional spell classes and adding the things you need as spells, but it is a little clunky.

EDIT: I finally made the feature request. Here it is. (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=116744#comment_form)

Dyark
February 12th, 2018, 16:54
If you could add something like powers which we can create the effect after would also be good.

I am thinking about the solarian specifically

arachne
February 13th, 2018, 10:04
Something like the Operatives - Trick Attack would also be nice if already included

Trenloe
February 13th, 2018, 15:32
Please add feature requests to the FG wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Then post a link to the request in this thread so others know about it and can vote. Thanks.

Dyark
February 13th, 2018, 23:32
Please add feature requests to the FG wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Then post a link to the request in this thread so others know about it and can vote. Thanks.

It already exist for other ruleset, it is not a brand new request. The problem is we cannot do anything with thing as simple as the damage of spells. I already posted for the simple ray or energy, which is a 1d3 of damage.

Treviron Riaxx
February 14th, 2018, 01:13
Things like this should of been possible, specially in Starfinder.... since items and weapons play a much bigger role with conditions etc since items/weapons are now on par with spells.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2018, 14:31
It already exist for other ruleset, it is not a brand new request. The problem is we cannot do anything with thing as simple as the damage of spells. I already posted for the simple ray or energy, which is a 1d3 of damage.
OK, so this is an education/knowledge thing, not a lack of functionality in the ruleset. You can indeed do 1d3 damage for a Energy Ray spell - just like it "already exist for other ruleset". Through the right-click menu on the spell, select "Add Spell Action" -> "Add Damage", click the magnifying glass to the right of the damage action created, right-click on the d6 on the desktop - custom -> d3 and drag the d3 to the damage slot. This is exctly the same as what you'd do in Patfinder, for example.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22250

Trenloe
February 14th, 2018, 14:34
If you could add something like powers which we can create the effect after would also be good.

I am thinking about the solarian specifically
You can creates new "spell" classes (just don't call them spells) and manually add powers etc. in there - with damage, conditions/effects, casts, attacks, etc.. This is the way players have used the Pathfinder ruleset for years - and the FG Starfinder ruleset is heavily based on the PF ruleset.

Dyark
February 14th, 2018, 14:37
Ah perfect thanks Trenloe

I feel my FG eduction is bad now... :-)

Need more training......

Trenloe
February 14th, 2018, 14:37
Things like this should of been possible, specially in Starfinder.... since items and weapons play a much bigger role with conditions etc since items/weapons are now on par with spells.
I agree - hence why I asked for it to be checked/added to the wishlist - as this *is* new functionality that doesn't exist for other rulesets (i.e. effects/actions attached to items and weapons).

Dyark
February 14th, 2018, 14:47
I agree - hence why I asked for it to be checked/added to the wishlist - as this *is* new functionality that doesn't exist for other rulesets (i.e. effects/actions attached to items and weapons).

Should I also request it for the type of Armor ?
Example, the default armor in the ruleset is KAC, but the armor we need to target for energy spell is EAC and I do not see it anywhere if we can change that.

Never mind found it, it is a R touch instead of range.

Treviron Riaxx
February 15th, 2018, 00:26
Changing the condition of spells and damage is simple figured that one quickly.
Just frustrating having to manually apply conditions when using weapons. But at least there's a way of doing it just a bit of work so not end of the world.

At least there's a way to refer stuff without having to constantly have the book or dm screen at hands reach.

Archamus
February 18th, 2018, 09:15

I finally added it to the wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=116744#comment_form), including allowing for the special crit damage Starfinder weapons often have.

Although, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the wishlist being the mechanism for trying to have this happen. Until you said I should add it, I had no idea this was used for requesting something for a single ruleset. I had been under the impression that it was for things affecting fantasy grounds as a whole, and more on the programming side of things. Also, this is more of a niche system so likely won't see much traction there.

Crossing my fingers that it gets enough visibility on there that it can be added.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2018, 14:11
The wishlist is not all about votes. The main FG devs have frequently said it is their main area to look at for new features across all rulesets. They don't just look at votes.

Treviron Riaxx
February 18th, 2018, 21:03
Either way it's a feature that's really needed in SF, because of the sheer amount of stuff that has side effects on crits, or side effects on hit. Just having to hand make everything and so on is discouraging on my end, due to limited time I have to work on it and lack of patience due to recurring Migrains/tension head aches. On top of trying to convert a setting to SF at same time.

sturtus
February 21st, 2018, 03:15
Totally agree. Having gone from 5e in FG for the past few years, it seems an omission in SF. Makes all the Ex, Su, and Sp powers much more manageable.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2018, 05:57
Makes all the Ex, Su, and Sp powers much more manageable.
You can do these. Make a spell class, call it "Abilities" and add them in as "spells" and add actions to the the "spell". Don't let the word spell stop you using it for things that *aren't* spells..

damned
February 21st, 2018, 12:14
Hi guys - remember that StarFinder is a complex system and that the features present in Pathfinder and 5E didnt happen all in one go.
Keep making suggestions (do add them to the wishlist as well) and the ruleset will keep improving.

sturtus
February 21st, 2018, 15:14
I appreciate that we can add abilities as spells, and I've done that. It's a suitable workaround, and I'm happy my group can play Starfinder in FG and drop effects and damage as a player.

When I DM 5e, I go through all of the PC character sheets and assist the players by dividing out their abilities on the actions tab into any powers or inventory we need to track: magic item charges, class features, healing kit uses, grouped features with shared uses (like Channel Divinity), and anything their character can "do" in combat even if there is no effect to drop. grouping them best I can based on its source (class, race, inventory, etc). It really helps new players learn their character and understand their options. The feature this thread is talking about, and it looks like was put into the feature request site, is the elegant "Group" feature of 5e powers in the abilities tab, where number of uses can be spread across a group of powers (think Channel Divinity), be completely individual per power for class features that stand alone as a # of times per day, and reset per power when resting.

No complaints, really! Looking forward to this ruleset maturing like 5e did. Flexible power groups is a great start and hope to see it in a future release.