PDA

View Full Version : Can't CTRL Click in combat tracker to target

beseb
February 10th, 2018, 22:23
Hi, our group all recently upgraded to the latest release and we have a serious bug - none of us can target in the combat tracker!

I thought for sure I'd see something on the forum as I can't believe we are the only ones experiencing this.

We' tried logging into different servers to see if it was a weird GM setting or something, but to no avail. Are we missing something obvious, or is there a bug here?

Thanks.

Trenloe
February 10th, 2018, 22:25
Welcome to the forums.

Which ruleset are you using where this occurs? Are you using any extensions?

beseb
February 10th, 2018, 22:40
Hi, 5E and no extensions that I'm aware of. At least I don't use any.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2018, 22:40
There is an issue which has been reported on Discord. The devs are aware.

beseb
February 10th, 2018, 22:53
OK, thank you. Can we roll back to prior stable version?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2018, 23:14

No, you can’t roll back. You can still target by CTRL clicking on the token(s) or drag/drop attacks, damage etc from the character sheet onto a target.

damned
February 10th, 2018, 23:17

You cant roll back.
A big glitch like this will be patched pretty quickly - might have been faster if StarFinder hadnt also been released! :)

Moon Wizard
February 11th, 2018, 01:26
Just tracked this down. It only happens when the list of combatants in the combat tracker is shorter than the height of the combat tracker window. If you shrink the height vertically, it will work again. I'll look into adding a long-term fix in the next release.

Regards,
JPG

beseb
February 11th, 2018, 02:02
Crazy! And thanks, we'll try that shortly.

damned
February 11th, 2018, 02:09
Just tracked this down. It only happens when the list of combatants in the combat tracker is shorter than the height of the combat tracker window. If you shrink the height vertically, it will work again. I'll look into adding a long-term fix in the next release.

Regards,
JPG

Hahaha - that is an interesting and bizarre cause! @#$@ computers.

beseb
February 11th, 2018, 02:12
yep, that did the trick, thanks!

coreyjkelly
February 28th, 2018, 18:45
A big glitch like this will be patched pretty quickly

Any updates on this? Will it actually be a full quarter before this is patched?

My party is small, so I can't actually resize the Combat Tracker small enough to use the fix mentioned here. I know we can still target on the map, but this makes non-map portions of the game somewhat tedious.

This might be related? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42465-5e-combat-tracker-change)

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2018, 19:44
Any updates on this? Will it actually be a full quarter before this is patched?

My party is small, so I can't actually resize the Combat Tracker small enough to use the fix mentioned here. I know we can still target on the map, but this makes non-map portions of the game somewhat tedious.

This might be related? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42465-5e-combat-tracker-change)
Unfortunately, this was reported 4 days after the last release. And though their is no published release schedule, the previous release before that was October (4 months). So it might be a few months until the next release :(

coreyjkelly
February 28th, 2018, 20:01
Thanks. I worried that might be the case.

I'm relatively new to FG and unfamiliar with the dev cycle.. are minor patches not possible? Everything has to wait for a major release? I know the team is small and I don't want to sound ungrateful for their work, but I would have expected that fixing a feature-breaking issue would be prioritized.

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2018, 21:10
If you don't have a map and therefore can't target then you don't need to target to make attacks etc. Instead drag the attack/damage/save/effect onto the enemies. This will work just as well.

coreyjkelly
February 28th, 2018, 21:21
If you don't have a map and therefore can't target then you don't need to target to make attacks

That's not true. We do occasionally use Theater of the Mind for simpler combat encounters.

In any case, this came up when casting buffs on allies. Dragging the effect will work fine, but gets a bit tedious for something like Pass Without Trace where you'd have to drag to the whole party one at a time.

I'm not suggesting that I can't get by without this feature. It's more the principle. Especially as a new user, FG is a bit overwhelming, and it makes matters worse when you've just gotten a workflow figured out, and a crucial feature is removed.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2018, 21:25
Thanks. I worried that might be the case.

I'm relatively new to FG and unfamiliar with the dev cycle.. are minor patches not possible? Everything has to wait for a major release? I know the team is small and I don't want to sound ungrateful for their work, but I would have expected that fixing a feature-breaking issue would be prioritized.
It depends. Not that this is official, but if something is broken with no workarounds that prevents core functionality, then I've seen them push hot fixes within a few hours of the issue being identified. But something like this, that has multiple workarounds I wouldn't expect a fix until the next version.

The regular iterations (like the .4 in the current v.3.3.4) are considered minor versions and though their is not published schedule for them, they typically are released 6 and 16 weeks apart. Major versions (the second .3) indicate changes that usually mean changes like players and DMs must be on the same major version (normally, a player can be on any older minor version as long as they are on the same major version as the GM/host). There is a post or two around here somewhere from Moon Wizard in response to a post/question from Dulux-Oz asking about iteration control and definitions. But don't remember the post topic/words used.

coreyjkelly
February 28th, 2018, 21:27
Thanks, LordEntrails! That's useful!

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2018, 21:42
I'm not sure that you mean what I said is not true - since it is; you don't need to target anywhere; you can drag drop all attacks etc onto the enemy. I appreciate that if you want to multi-target then this might well get tedious if you don't have tokens on a map. If you are using theatre of the mind you could use a blank map, just right click in the images folder and create item and draw a grid on the blank image that comes up and put the PCs/NPCs on it in the usual way.
And I appreciate this is a work around and it would be better if the issue was fixed, but until it is this is one possible solution.

coreyjkelly
February 28th, 2018, 21:46
you don't need to target anywhere; you can drag drop all attacks etc onto the enemy

Right. I had mis-interpreted.

Again, I just got used to a particular workflow. Specifically: offloading GM clicks to my PCs and FG automation.

I appreciate the suggestions!

damned
February 28th, 2018, 23:52
Hi coreyjkelly there are many ways to target.
In the CT you can click the target icon and then you can drag a target over your target actor to set up the same thing as ctrl+click.
You can also do the attacks with out pre-set targetting by dragging the attack onto the CT entry
or by simply clicking the attack and dragging the resultant roll in chat onto the actor in the CT.

You could also try adding two extra and hidden 0 init actors to your CT window to make it long enough for the workaround to kick in.

sotiris
March 19th, 2018, 21:31

Regards,
JPG

Hello, do we have an ETA for this fix?

coreyjkelly
March 19th, 2018, 21:33
Hello, do we have an ETA for this fix?

It's listed as fixed in the upcoming release, slated for April:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html

sotiris
March 19th, 2018, 21:35
It's listed as fixed in the upcoming release, slated for April:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html

Perfect!!! thanks for the quick response :)

Steeleyes
March 21st, 2018, 22:32
If you don't want to wait for the upcoming release you could try my Player Combat tracker Targeting extension that allows players a few more options when targeting via the combat trackers.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42952-CoreRPG-5E-Extension-Player-CT-Targeting

lostsanityreturned
June 6th, 2018, 08:29
It has been nearly 4 months since it was reported, any chance this is going to get fixed or has it been abandoned for now?

In our group we had no idea why only one player couldn't target, now after months of having no idea what was wrong on his side we now know it is just that the other players had smaller combat tracker boxes.

Not helped by it working fine in any window size for the DM.

Zacchaeus
June 6th, 2018, 09:05
This was fixed in the last patch. If you are still having issues then it is something else.

lostsanityreturned
June 6th, 2018, 14:13
This was fixed in the last patch. If you are still having issues then it is something else.

If a player has a combat tracker without a scroll bar they cannot control click targets. This has been repeatedly tested via lan on multiple of my computers as well as two players so far.

If it is a new cause, it is manifesting with the same result and workaround as the last one.

damned
June 6th, 2018, 14:18
If a player has a combat tracker without a scroll bar they cannot control click targets. This has been repeatedly tested via lan on multiple of my computers as well as two players so far.

If it is a new cause, it is manifesting with the same result and workaround as the last one.

I cannot replicate this under the current build.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2018, 14:33
What version is the FG application you and the players are running - see this in the top right of the main launch screen.

What version is the rulesets you are running - both the main rulesets and CoreRPG. The versions are reported in the chat window when you load the campaign.

lostsanityreturned
June 6th, 2018, 21:27
What version is the FG application you and the players are running - see this in the top right of the main launch screen.

What version is the rulesets you are running - both the main rulesets and CoreRPG. The versions are reported in the chat window when you load the campaign.

3.3.5 ultimate

The ruleset says
3.3.4 for both core and 5e rulesets.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2018, 21:33
The ruleset says
3.3.4 for both core and 5e rulesets.
These should both be 3.3.5A, and is more than likely the cause of you not seeing the fix, which was in FG v3.3.5 - see the release notes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html The entry of interest is: "[CoreRPG+] CTRL+click on player CT would not toggle targeting if list items smaller than list display area. Fixed."

Check in your <FG app data>\rulesets directory for directories called 5E and CoreRPG - if these are present, these are unpacked older versions of the rulesets and should be removed - delete them and restart FG to see what the ruleset versions show. If there are no such directories, delete 5E.pak and CoreRPG.pak and run a FG update - this should download the latest version of the rulesets.

lostsanityreturned
June 7th, 2018, 08:30
These should both be 3.3.5A, and is more than likely the cause of you not seeing the fix, which was in FG v3.3.5 - see the release notes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html The entry of interest is: "[CoreRPG+] CTRL+click on player CT would not toggle targeting if list items smaller than list display area. Fixed."

Check in your <FG app data>\rulesets directory for directories called 5E and CoreRPG - if these are present, these are unpacked older versions of the rulesets and should be removed - delete them and restart FG to see what the ruleset versions show. If there are no such directories, delete 5E.pak and CoreRPG.pak and run a FG update - this should download the latest version of the rulesets.

I deleted the .pak files and sure enough after a quick update they are 3.3.5A now.

Weird side effects though, I loaded the campaign up and it had completely reset all of the campaign settings (no modules loaded, all settings at their default. I didn't expect this.).
The other weird side effect is that none of the characters had any damage dice attached to their weapons. I am not sure if this is because it was loaded without the equipment containing modules or not, the items are still in the inventory but now they lack damage dice in the actions section (easy to fix though, just odd)

Thanks for your help though. Should I get players to wipe the rule set data on their end just in case, or do they use a copy of my rule set that gets transferred over to their campaigns folder?

damned
June 7th, 2018, 09:08
That happens sometimes when it doesnt find the ruleset in the place it was expecting to.
The players should make sure they are also on 3.3.5