PDA

View Full Version : laggy clients

qwortec
February 10th, 2018, 06:22
Just started a new campaign with some previous players and some new players. I'm finding that a few of the players hare having issues with long lag times in FG. We never used to have this issue when we played about 2 years ago (there was always lag when opening new images and stuff then). When players are moving tokens, clicking actions, rolling dice, etc. they are experiencing long lag times (10-30 seconds). It's really frustrating.

Any ideas on how I can try to find solutions? As the host I'm not having any problems and a few of my players are experiencing no major issues. I'm hosting on win 7 x64 with a 100mb down/ 4 mb up connection.

damned
February 10th, 2018, 07:19
Check how much RAM FG is using on your and one one of your players computers.

Moon Wizard
February 10th, 2018, 07:49
Make sure that you are not sharing any GM modules with the players (such as DMG or MM), and make sure that they close any modules that they are not using.

Next, as the GM, check to see how many images you are sharing.
* Open the campaign Images list, and click the circled S or circled P symbol to unshare images that no longer need to be shared.
* Check to see how large your custom campaign images are (in the Windows Explorer window via the Folder button in the Images list). Look at how big the files are, as well as the resolution. You should try to keep custom images under 2048x2048 resolution.
* Check to see how many tokens are in your tokens/shared and tokens/host folder. Try to keep the tokens/shared folder empty if possible, since these are shared on every session.

Regards,
JPG

qwortec
February 10th, 2018, 17:05
I did have a pretty big token file in the shared folder. I'll try your suggestions and see how the next session works out. THanks

Moon Wizard
February 10th, 2018, 19:18
More than likely, you will want to empty the tokens/shared folder. I only use this for rare instances of sharing generic tokens I want them to use for placeables. (such as ice walls, summoned creatures, etc.)

If you use it like a shopping cart for your players to choose tokens, you will run into issues, because all of the shared tokens are loaded into memory at the beginning of the session.

Regards,
JPG

qwortec
March 8th, 2018, 00:52
I made all of these changes before my last session. My tokens shared folder was quite large so I removed it among other things. Game went smoother but I still had one player who was on long lag time for anything to update on his end (10+ seconds). Any idea what could be causing the issue for him?

damned
March 8th, 2018, 00:58
I made all of these changes before my last session. My tokens shared folder was quite large so I removed it among other things. Game went smoother but I still had one player who was on long lag time for anything to update on his end (10+ seconds). Any idea what could be causing the issue for him?

Perhaps he is on wifi and the connection is not as good as he thinks it is?

Nylanfs
March 8th, 2018, 03:23
Also make sure he has cleared his cache.