PDA

View Full Version : Lost work

BlackDot
February 9th, 2018, 22:33
I recently installed FG on my laptop. I had it on my desktop but I have that packed away for the moment, so I decided to use my laptop instead. When I went to the starting screen I went to look at my characters but none of them were there. Then I went to look at my campaign notes and story and that was no where to be found either. All of my work is gone. I still have all the books I purchased and character tokens but nothing of what I saved for the campaign I was working on. Anybody have a clue on why this happened and is there a way to recover this stuff? I'll be really pissed off if I lost all those hours of work. Good thing I wrote a majority of the stuff in notebooks.

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2018, 22:38
Yes, this is by design. FG is not a cloud application. It is a client-server application. This means when you create custom content, it is stored locally on your computer, it is not stored in "the cloud" or anywhere controlled by anyone except you.

All of your information is on your desktop. All you have to do is copy the FG Data folder from your desktop to your laptop.

Note, if you're thinking you can just share the FG Data location to a cloud site like dropbox, you can. BUT, if you allow it to sync while you have FG running you are likely to have your data corrupted, because FG uses a database, and cloud sites are not designed to account for copying active databases.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2018, 00:16
You don’t need the entire data folder just the campaign folder of the campaign that you were working on. Copy it to the campaign folder on your laptop.

BlackDot
February 10th, 2018, 14:59
Awesome, thanks guys.

Erin Righ
February 10th, 2018, 21:01
and welcome to the forums

Honken
February 10th, 2018, 22:55
I have found when i have zipped either one campaign folder, or the whole campaign folder and when i Unzip it again, Zip do make a folder one level down. So this would be ~\campaign\campaign

FG expects to find stuff in the first campaign folder so won't show it at all. SO you would have to move it up one level.

(I hope this makes sense)...

/H

Nylanfs
February 11th, 2018, 16:52
Yea, that's how the Microsoft zip is setup, you have to pick "Extract Here" or something similar.

Andraax
February 11th, 2018, 18:16
Yeah, if you archive the directory, then the directory will be recreated on extract.