PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity Issues...

BaldMike
March 27th, 2006, 22:49
In completing some final "due diligence" before purchasing the FG software, I have read a number of reviews. Most have been very positive on the software but a couple did mention issues with a stable connection. Furthermore, I have heard some of you in threads mention issues related to IP addresses, Routers, Ports and other things.

I have very little understanding of such computer "things". What I do know is that I have a DSL connection through SBC, a physical firewall in the form of a Router and a couple of anti-virus & Pest Patrol programs.

Given this information, can anyone comment on what issues or problems I may encounter when trying to take part in or run a session using the FG software?

Also, have any of you experienced any stability issues with your connection? One of the individuals who mentioned this in his review stated that it seemed to be a problem once he exceeded about 4 people in his group. I also noticed that those who indicated connection problems had posted their reviews last fall. Is it possible that this was a short-term problem that has already been addressed?

Finally, I mention this because I find it quite funny, there was one individual who listed the price of FG as being too high. I'm sorry, but even on a college budget I would have been able to see the great value this software offers.

Thanks for your responses.

Cypher
March 28th, 2006, 01:03
Well first of all, it is my experience that stability issues were far more prevelant in the early versions of this software. I've ran three sessions now over several hours, and I have yet to drop a player or crash myself. So in that respect I think the reviewers were using earlier versions of the software.

Onto the technical issues you may encounter...

If you are planning on being a player... issues don't exist really.
It's when you want to DM a game, and be a server to others, that you will need to tweak your router.

The first thing you should do is grab your handy router manual, and look up the section on port forwarding (since that is what you will be doing). Once you've done that there are a few steps to do.

1. Go to Start->Run and type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit OK.

2. type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and write down what it says your IP Address is.

3. According to your router manual, access the settings on your router. This is usually from your web browser, and will likely be an address such as 192.168.0.1.

4. Following the steps in your router's manual, forward port 1802 (I do both UDP and TCP) to the IP address you got in step #2.

You are now ready to host a game. You can use the address alias tool in Fantasy Grounds from behind your router to give to the players you want to join your game.

Hope this helps you to make your decision on purchasing Fantasy Grounds.

BaldMike
March 28th, 2006, 03:25
Cypher,

Thanks for such a specific response. I think I'll have to print that off or save it for further reference.

I think it is just about a definite that I will be purchasing the software. It really is what I am looking for. I've downloaded and played with the demo software a little bit and, as I understand it, it doesn't give you the full functionality that you get with the license. Yet, I was still quite impressed with how intuitive the software felt and the environment it presented. Just like the table top.

I imagine I'll look for a D&D game to get involved in as a player first and then see what the needs are for DMs. Either way, it looks like it will be alot of fun!

Thanks again for the info! :)