PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Local LAN game with Ultimate License not allowed?

akgigga
February 9th, 2018, 00:19
Hi, this question was probably asked multiple times but doing a quick search I can't seem to find the answer (or contradicting answers)

I am considering buying a ultimate license, but I will be hosting my games mainly using Local Lan connection. My friends (4 people) will all join locally using the free version. From what I read on the forum that is something I can do, kinda privilege for spending the 150 bucks. The issue is, from the comparison chart that was posted comparing roll20 and fantasy ground, it says Ultimately license can't host free user, but standard version can. This is really confusing because the whole idea is to be able to host free user for buying the Ultimate License.

What am I missing? Is the comparsion chart wrong?

Refer to link for the comparison document. Also see attached picture

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/VTTComparison.pdf

Thanks!

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2018, 00:30
When they connect, internet is required to check that your ultimate license is valid. It only takes a few second and not much data. Many peopl euse a phone or similar to allow the internet traffic for the check.

damned
February 9th, 2018, 00:34
You can 100% host on a LAN but some internet connectivity for license checking is required.
It is the OFFLINE bit that is not supported...
That chart could be improved upon...

akgigga
February 9th, 2018, 00:39
haha. ok. I got it, it meant completely offline with no connection. was confused by it says can't host free user. Thanks for the quick answer, now I don't have to worry about spending the money :D

damned
February 9th, 2018, 00:42
Howdy akgigga - can you share the source for that table so we can see if it can be improved upon?
And welcome aboard :)

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2018, 00:45
Oh, and a Welcome! Sorry I forgot to say it when I first responded :)

akgigga
February 9th, 2018, 01:13
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to join the community. Here is the link to the forum page. The document is a PDF file.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/content.php?18-VTT-Comparison-Chart-between-the-different-versions-of-Fantasy-Grounds-vs-Roll20
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/VTTComparison.pdf

Myrdin Potter
February 9th, 2018, 07:35
You can host over your lan, but if your computer is not connected to the internet then it cannot do the license check. So if 100% only local LAN it will not work. If all the players and the DM is on the lan but the DM has internet access it will work.

damned
February 9th, 2018, 07:50
You can host over your lan, but if your computer is not connected to the internet then it cannot do the license check. So if 100% only local LAN it will not work. If all the players and the DM is on the lan but the DM has internet access it will work.

Thats not correct..
The Demo players do the license check so they need internet access.

Myrdin Potter
February 9th, 2018, 07:52
Really? That seems *** backwards. Ultimate should allow connections from any license so no need to check.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2018, 08:19
Really? That seems *** backwards. Ultimate should allow connections from any license so no need to check.
Not at all. It's checking that the ultimate license is valid when a free license joins an Ultimate game. I'm sure this makes it easier for SmiteWorks to track use of invalid/hacked ultimate licenses. If it just checked the GM side once, then it would be easier to hack/work around - i.e. just the GM does the illegal stuff.

Bidmaron
February 9th, 2018, 12:30
Can a bunch of standard licenses play without internet connection?

Myrdin Potter
February 9th, 2018, 12:57
If it is checking that the ultimate license is good, why do the players with their free license need anything checked? Shouldn’t only the Gm need an internet connection?

damned
February 9th, 2018, 13:00
Can a bunch of standard licenses play without internet connection?

Yes. If you are truly playing offline then this is the best option.

If it is chocking that the ultimate license is good, why do the players with their free license need anything checked? Shouldn’t only the Gm need an internet connection?

Because this is how SmiteWorks has determined it to be best for them to manage licensing...