PDA

View Full Version : Spell Engineer - First glimpse and request for feedback

Maasq
February 7th, 2018, 23:21
Hi folks

Spell Engineer is off of the starting blocks. It feels strange working this way round - I started with the GUI, followed up with the css/HTML for the viewport, set my variables as a single object, and only now am I going to start coding the guts of it! So here is how it looks so far:

In looking at the D&D BEyond website, there's a tonne of options. I can add those options, but it might get fiddly. I think the simplicity of this works, especially given the data that will come in via Import and go out to a FG module. I can add double-click actions to each edit box to allow the finer control if there's an appetite for that.

There's no way to select the classes/archetypes yet; I'm still pondering the best way to do that - single huge list, separate lists per class?

Other than that, is there anything about spells you'd like to see on Spell Engineer that isn't there already?

Cheers for any feedback offered :)

Maasq

epithet
February 8th, 2018, 01:04
I think I would buttons for range and casting time, or perhaps have a pop-up similar to the hit points on NPCE. There are only a few ranges and casting times ever used in 5e, but you could leave the option to get weird with it is someone wants to do something unprecedented.

Class selection should be like language selection for NPCE, tick the boxes with all and none available. All would be useful for putting the spell on a scroll to overcome a dungeon obstacle - any caster could use it. None would be for spells that you only want to use for NPC casters.

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2018, 01:20
Not too sure about tick boxes for classes since there’s an awful lot of them. I’d suggest a drop down box which would be easy enough to expand if there were future additions to archetypes.

Looks good thus far.

Maasq
February 8th, 2018, 20:48
I think I would buttons for range and casting time, or perhaps have a pop-up similar to the hit points on NPCE. There are only a few ranges and casting times ever used in 5e, but you could leave the option to get weird with it is someone wants to do something unprecedented.

Class selection should be like language selection for NPCE, tick the boxes with all and none available. All would be useful for putting the spell on a scroll to overcome a dungeon obstacle - any caster could use it. None would be for spells that you only want to use for NPC casters.

Hiya

I had thought about them... perhaps a dropdown. I am now thinking of a 'simple' and 'advanced' switch for the UI to suit both moods.
The class selection, as Zacchaeus said, has too many choices for tickboxes. I want to leave options for homebrew classes and archetypes too. I'm leaning towards a series of multi-select dropdowns for this.

Side note: I am going to change the languages to this sort of system in NPCE to give me room for the skills changes you suggested. Sometime. :)

'All' and 'None' I'll look at - I need to understand better how such things work in FG. :)

Maasq