PDA

View Full Version : Able to update map images without moving pins and grid around?

XIIGage
February 7th, 2018, 08:00
If I make a map for a campaign and set all the pins and grid and then realized I used a poor quality image and want to use a higher resolution image can I change just the image without all of the pins/encounter moving around?

Zacchaeus
February 7th, 2018, 09:15
If you change the resolution then you will be changing the map to a different size which means your pins won't be in the right place. If all you are doing is changing the quality of the map from say 50dpi to 100pdi and keeping the resolution the same then yes, you can change the map.

damned
February 7th, 2018, 12:36
If you change the resolution then you will be changing the map to a different size which means your pins won't be in the right place. If all you are doing is changing the quality of the map from say 50dpi to 100pdi and keeping the resolution the same then yes, you can change the map.

changing it from 50dpi to 100dpi will increase its dimensions...
dpi doesnt relate to screens... its a print term.
changing the quality from jpg 50% to jpg 80% will retain size and increase quality...

before you go down this road...
aim for a maximum size of 2048x2048px and 1mb in file size.

Zacchaeus
February 7th, 2018, 15:32
Cheers, damned. One day I might know what I'm talking about when it comes to images :)

damned
February 7th, 2018, 21:24
Cheers, damned. One day I might know what I'm talking about when it comes to images :)

You make awesome images Z!

XIIGage
February 7th, 2018, 21:28
Ok thanks a bunch guys! Maybe I'll try to push it right at 1mb and get the max quality I can.

damned
February 7th, 2018, 22:49
Ok thanks a bunch guys! Maybe I'll try to push it right at 1mb and get the max quality I can.

These are guidelines - not hard and fast rules.
If its an important map and you use it often you might push it a bit bigger - but be aware of memory usage.

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2018, 00:17
Pixel size will have longer reaching impacts than file size.

- Pixels impact the amount of RAM that FG uses (use too much, FG crashes).
- File size impacts transfer time to your players. Generally this is only done once, but it will also impact the masking and the amount of time reveals take to happen.