PDA

View Full Version : Locking windows in place

Delgar3
February 6th, 2018, 13:43
Is there anyway to lock windows other than the chat window in place?

Just curious.

Del

JohnD
February 6th, 2018, 14:14
FG generally remembers where you last had the window open.

Delgar3
February 6th, 2018, 14:23
I meant more as in locking a window such as the map in place like the chat window so I can no longer accidentally move it!

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2018, 15:52
Welcome, Delgar, to the community.

No, is the answer, apart from the chat box. It would likely be more trouble that it is worth if you locked up windows. I can envisage all sorts of problems.

Delgar3
February 6th, 2018, 16:07
Welcome, Delgar, to the community.

No, is the answer, apart from the chat box. It would likely be more trouble that it is worth if you locked up windows. I can envisage all sorts of problems.

Would it be possible to create an extension to add a lock to other windows since it exists for the chat box and dice tower?

I'm just curious because I'm planning on streaming and I don't want the map moving. Or I just have to be really careful and less clumsy.

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2018, 16:23
I don't know for sure. Extensions can be created to do just about anything but some things are built into the engine rather than available via scripts.

The trouble I think is that ok, you see that you have opened a map but FG just sees that as a window with an image, so if you locked that window, I'm not sure that you would be able to open another image without unlocking the map one. However I don't know enough about such things to know for sure.

Moon Wizard
February 6th, 2018, 17:56
No, there's no way to do this with the way the rulesets are built and the way that the FG API works. There's a differentiation between panels (i.e. windows that are always visible, never hidden, and not tied to the database) vs. game windows. Examples of panels include chat window, sidebar, modifier box, etc. Only panels can have default positions, and can be locked/unlocked.

There is this wish list item to vote on, that is similar. (Map as background)
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40913

Regards,
JPG

Battlewear
August 17th, 2018, 20:08
No, there's no way to do this with the way the rulesets are built and the way that the FG API works. There's a differentiation between panels (i.e. windows that are always visible, never hidden, and not tied to the database) vs. game windows. Examples of panels include chat window, sidebar, modifier box, etc. Only panels can have default positions, and can be locked/unlocked.

There is this wish list item to vote on, that is similar. (Map as background)
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40913

Regards,
JPG

I just posted the same question..
I see that you are a developer.. I will add my vote that I wish I could lock a "map" window down because I am CONSTANTLY moving the whole window when Im only meaning to move the map. I am running FG for a group of players around our table.. We use FG more for the tokens and maps than anything but it would be great if each window had the ability to have a independant lock. I really really struggle with the mouse controls for the window. To me, to move the map is a left click drag, not a mouse wheel click.. just feels so wrong..

Anyways, love FG, keep it up.. Maybe I will have to add it to the wish list or something?

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2018, 22:29
Use the small icon at the bottom right of the map window. Click and hold the left mouse button over it and move the mouse around to move the map.

wndrngdru
August 18th, 2018, 19:56
Adding to what Zacchaeus said above, you can also click and drag using the middle mouse button.

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2018, 20:45
Adding to what Zacchaeus said above, you can also click and drag using the middle mouse button.

It's using the middle mouse button that he doesn't like :)

wndrngdru
August 19th, 2018, 05:29
It's using the middle mouse button that he doesn't like :)

Whoops. Didn't realize it was a zombie thread. (I was responding to the OP and only skimmed the post that resurrected it.) That'll teach me to not pay attention. :o

kNOwWHEREtoRUN
January 27th, 2021, 06:13
So I had the same question. But after reading, everyone seems to think its not possible or we should just deal with it. But what about an extension that simply tells maps where to open on the screen, setting a specific pixel height and width. While this wouldn't lock the screen it would open every single map in the same area and if you had to reset a map screen the process would simply be to close it then re-open it. The major slow down in my games seems to be the required preciseness of my clicks and grabs and resulting re-alignment when I fail at preciseness. My eyes aren't great but neither are the window and icon boundaries. I realize classic isn't the future but I'm a paying customer too. Unfortunately, I have no scripting experience but I'd be willing to learn if my idea has merit and seems possible. Can someone with the experience I lack objectively weigh in please? Thank you.

damned
January 27th, 2021, 06:35
celestian has I think an extension that opens all <<insert data type here>> in the same window as the previous one. Eg you open an image and it closes any other image you have open and puts the new one in the same spot. Might help...

kNOwWHEREtoRUN
January 27th, 2021, 06:46
That's great! I'll take a look. And thank you!

Ludd_G
January 27th, 2021, 12:40
I use both Single Window (I've excluded Image Windows, and if you hold down 'control' when clicking it overrides the single window functionality):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48656-CoreRPG-SingleWindow

and Window Saver X (just for restoring my start state for each session - /wsx restore )

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43706-Window-Saver-X-Extension

With both these in place and a basic start campaign saved, I find window control is just a matter of setting up positions, then saving each window type to my hotkeys (stories, images, spells etc.) and using the hotkeys to open a close windows in their pre set positions. I only do this once and this becomes my start campaign (I just copy and rename it for a new campaign).

I hope that makes sense and is some help.

Cheers,

Simon