PDA

View Full Version : Player map messed up

codester70
February 3rd, 2018, 20:27
Hi, new to FG, and I'm trying to learn everything. I exported a map from Dungeon Painter Studio as a JPG and imported it into FG. When I first shared it with a player (myself connected on the same machine), everything seemed to work fine. But then I, as the GM, synced the map, and now it seems the map is zoomed way too close to see anything. The player can then manually set the view to small or original size to kind of fix it, but as soon as they scroll with the mouse wheel, it zooms way in again. Did I do something wrong? How do I fix it?

This is on Win 10, by the way, and the image is 3900x2400 96 dpi.

Edit: FWIW, I tried reducing the image by 50%, and it seems to work correctly now.

LordEntrails
February 3rd, 2018, 21:10
First, welcome!

Second, it is generally recommended that maps be no larger than 2048 in any dimension. As you noticed, it can work fine with higher resolutions than that, but if you share more than a couple of maps that size your players will hit a process size limit and crash FG.

Now, onto your problem. You did not do anything wrong, you player just needs to learn how to pan and zoom the map. Their are several ways to do this. They can zoom with the mouse wheel (both in and out), they can pan with the icon in the bottom right, they can also resize the window with the bottom right corner, or by right mouse button resize original, resize small, resize horizontal or resize vertical.

More details here;
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Viewing

codester70
February 3rd, 2018, 22:26
As I said, the mouse wheel doesn't fix the issue, but as long as it works with smaller images, I'll just try and remember to resize it before hand. Thanks!

damned
February 4th, 2018, 01:39
As I said, the mouse wheel doesn't fix the issue, but as long as it works with smaller images, I'll just try and remember to resize it before hand. Thanks!

Hola codester

The mouse wheel is the issue.
If the player scrolls the mouse wheel it will zoom in/out.
It is doing what it is supposed to.
As LordEntrails says - the player needs to learn the interface...

codester70
February 4th, 2018, 19:33
The player (me) is not the issue. The map is zoomed in WAY too far, and using the mouse wheel does not zoom out to where I can see the map. I can see the grid, which is HUGE, and when I scroll, the grid size changes, but the map remains gray, and the grid never shrinks to the appropriate size. If I resize the image before importing into FG, everything works fine, so I'm assuming there is a bug in Fantasy Grounds with very large images. If the software cannot support images beyond a certain size, it should either resize them automatically, or display a message. I could upload an image or a video here demonstrating what I'm seeing, but I think I've explained the issue in sufficient detail. Regardless, I'm working fine now with smaller images, but thanks for all the input. :)

Andraax
February 4th, 2018, 19:51
I've used images that size (and some larger) with no issues.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2018, 21:47
Indeed, we need to figure out if this is a bug or not. I seem to remember another report similar to this.

First question though is are you using any extensions? Also does this happen in a new campaign without extensions? If it doesn't can you enable each extension in turn until you have a problem.

Trenloe
February 4th, 2018, 22:49
1) yes, please check extensions. Especially things like the enhanced image extension.
2) if you still have issues without any extensions, then please do provide a video showing the issue. Thanks.