PDA

View Full Version : Character Build Question

AaronWho
February 3rd, 2018, 14:05
Hello all, I am trying to get back into DnD after a period of not playing and have been building a new character roadmap I want to use, but would like to do something that may be OP and wanted to get some thoughts.

I love the Rogue Assassinante ability at level 3, but everything else they do until 17 sucks, would it be too OP for me to build a Rogue Scout, but replace the level 3 ability Skirmisher with that of Assassinate, but otherwise everything else is the same.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2018, 15:44
Hi Aaron welcome to FG.

It is your campaign so you can do whatever you like. You'll only know if it become over powerful through playing the character.

Additionally whether abilities suck or not probably depends on the kind of campaign that you are likely to run since some abilities might bot gel with a dungeon crawl and might be better suited to a city adventure with lots of intrigue and scope for roleplaying.

epithet
February 3rd, 2018, 16:43
I would be very hesitant to agree to that as a DM. Even if the Skirmisher --> Assassinate ability swap isn't overpowering, I wouldn't want to open the door to "build your own class" situations.

The thing about assassinate, though, is that it is the definitive sub-class ability for the assassin. It's like letting a gloom stalker ranger get a beastmaster's pet. It's like... vegetarian hamburger patties. Being a vegetarian means you don't eat hamburgers, and eating hamburgers means you're not a vegetarian. A "black bean" patty is just kidding yourself.