PDA

View Full Version : Network Port Settings

Elvedui
February 2nd, 2018, 22:25
I originally installed FG on a laptop and configured my router to allow access to port 1802. This was a feat for me since I am not overly technical. Now I bought a new computer and can't get the port reset for this computer. Is there any consideration for resolving this issue for FGII. I have quite a few games that play online and I don't need to configure my router for anything other than FG. I've done research and can't figure out why I can't get it to work.

Erin Righ
February 2nd, 2018, 22:32
I am sure the AI will be along any minute to help you. Trenloe?

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2018, 22:37
You will need to redo the port forwarding rule to point to the internal IP address of your new computer. You should also make sure that your network has been set to private and not public. And finally you’ll need to make sure that you have rules in any additional firewalls (such as Windows Defender) or Anti virus programmes to allow Fantasy Grounds to operate.

Elvedui
February 2nd, 2018, 22:38
I did reset the ip address and private network, but let me look at windows defender

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2018, 22:44
I’m not sure just setting the IP address will be sufficient. You may need to delete the existing rule and create a completely new one.

Elvedui
February 2nd, 2018, 22:44
It was windows defender. Now my router doesn't let me make it the item for port forwarding. I can forward from the router to a specific laptop, but not to more than one laptop. So I can't have people on my home network playing. Any thoughts on this?

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2018, 22:46
If you have people connecting via your LAN then they connect directly to your IP address of your computer, they don’t go via the internet so they don’t need port forwarding.

Elvedui
February 2nd, 2018, 22:47
Can people do that if they only have the demo version though?

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2018, 22:49
Yes

Elvedui
February 2nd, 2018, 22:51
Thanks

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 22:56
They will still require an Internet connection when they first connect to the GM's Ultimate license - to verify it is valid. But they use the internal IP address of the GM's computer to connect when playing on the same network - you don't need port forwarding.

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 22:57
It was windows defender. Now my router doesn't let me make it the item for port forwarding. I can forward from the router to a specific laptop, but not to more than one laptop. So I can't have people on my home network playing. Any thoughts on this?
A specific port is like an address. So you can only port forward port 1802 to one computer. Think of it like this, what would the post office do if you put in a forwarding request for your mail and asked them to send it to two different places? Couldn't happen. A letter/package/etc can only be delivered to one place.

Bidmaron
February 2nd, 2018, 23:23
Players do not need port forwarding whether internet or lan. Only the GM needs to port forward if players must connect over internet.

JohnD
February 2nd, 2018, 23:49

Do you have an Ultimate license?

Elvedui
February 3rd, 2018, 20:47
ok today it won't work again....I didn't change anything, but now I can't get FG through the port

JohnD
February 3rd, 2018, 20:57
ok today it won't work again....I didn't change anything, but now I can't get FG through the port

Your ip must be changing then, possibly every couple of days. Check what your ip is now compared to what it was the last time it worked.

damned
February 4th, 2018, 01:45
Set your router to use UPnP and then reboot it.
If that doesnt work then you need to either assign via a dhcp static reservation a specific ip address to yorr computer or manually assign an ip address to your computer that is outside the dhcp scope and then you port forward to this fixed/static/manual ip address.

The Hawk and Sparrow
February 12th, 2018, 17:31
Thanks

Did you get it resolved? I was checking up because I recently went through and solved the same issues for Defender. My router is from Uverse. Let me know if you need any help. Cheers!

Elvedui
March 2nd, 2018, 10:05
Sorry for the delay, but I have it resolved now. My bigger issue is now a bit more complicated. I want to use FG for face to face RPG; however, you can only port forward to my computer (or one device basically). Now if everyone else can plug a cable into my network I guess I am fine, but most laptops are wireless these days and don't even have a connection so I think if they connect wirelessly FG won't work for them or they won't be able to connect to my computer??

damned
March 2nd, 2018, 10:35
Sorry for the delay, but I have it resolved now. My bigger issue is now a bit more complicated. I want to use FG for face to face RPG; however, you can only port forward to my computer (or one device basically). Now if everyone else can plug a cable into my network I guess I am fine, but most laptops are wireless these days and don't even have a connection so I think if they connect wirelessly FG won't work for them or they won't be able to connect to my computer??

Port forward is required for devices NOT on your network and is only required for the GM computer.
On your Wifi router turn Wireless Isolation OFF it is there.
On your computer make sure your network profile is set to Private.
The players all connect using:
theirnickname and yourLANipaddress

Bidmaron
March 2nd, 2018, 13:46
You may get contention problems with multiple wireless connections that will slow down transfers but it should work.

Elvedui
March 2nd, 2018, 19:47
So I know this sounds stupid, but I don't have wireless isolation on my router that I could find. I tried a computer on my network and tried to connect using my gm computer internal address, my external address and my alias and none of them worked? Which address do I use?

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2018, 20:00
You internal address. Be aware that your router might regularly change your computers internal address. Verify you are using the correct internal address.

The external IP and the Alias both go out to the internet to make the connection. Depending upon your ISP and your modem/router, this may require port forwarding and firewall exceptions.

Using the internal IP goes directly from one computer to another and only through your router. Some routers do not allow one device on you network to connect to another device on your network (isolation). As well as the firewall and/or anti-virus may attempt to block such connections. Make sure your network connection is set to Private (Home or Work), that both your firewall and anti-virus allow exceptions for Fantasy Grounds.

Also be aware that FG requires IPv4 IP addresses, which some ISPs do not provide. In those cases a VPN solution that uses IPv4 is required. (But this is unlikely your case given what you have said before)

Elvedui
March 2nd, 2018, 20:01
ok forget it...4th time is a charm. it works now. I have no idea why it didn't work the other three times. Thanks

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2018, 20:03
ok forget it...4th time is a charm. it works now. I have no idea why it didn't work the other three times. Thanks
Either a typo or your router is using UPnP and if other devices are using port 1802 it can take time for it to be released and reset to your computer. Try resetting the router if that is the case.

damned
March 2nd, 2018, 22:27
Most routers wont let you go out and come back in - thats why you need to (as opposed to just should) use the LAN IP.