PDA

View Full Version : Buggy slow, and TINY

Kaitlin
February 2nd, 2018, 16:52
So I am playing on a cintiq companion 1. It’s an older computer, but it is designed as a high end graphics machine of the time. I feel it should be more than powerful enough to run FG. Yet the software is slow.. glitchy, and very very tiny. I know there is a way I Can increase the size /scaleui, and I have done that.. but I want the map to be small enough that it doesn’t take my whole screen, the text only slightly larger that the large text extension makes it. Can anyone help with this?

First how to make it run faster and cleaner..

Second scale the map, text, and UI separately

FYI I have an ultimate license, which I am beginning to regret getting....

dberkompas
February 2nd, 2018, 16:59
You can zoom in and out of maps/images using the mouse wheel.

You can resize the window by using ctrl and left click. It resizes on the right and bottom. Or you can place the cursor in the bottom left to resize.

As to being slow and glitchy, that's not the fault of FG, because so many of us don't have that issue, so it is very likely that your CPU can't keep up.

If you really want some instant help, try joining the Fantasy Grounds College Discord server.

https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net/

Dave

Kaitlin
February 2nd, 2018, 17:21
I beg to differ, that because many do not have an issue that it is automatically my processor that is at fault. My processor is a Intel® Core™ i-7-3517U processor, 1.9 GHz. That seems more than sufficient wouldn’t it?

dberkompas
February 2nd, 2018, 17:23
An i7, you are correct, it's highly unlikely that would cause the problem.

How about zooming/resizing, does that help you out?

Dave

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 17:34
Can you give us some examples of what you class as slow? Also what you class as buggy/glitchy? Thanks.

As you've mentioned, there are extensions that enable the font size to be larger - so you can keep the general scale of FG low, but increase the fonts. Which extensions have you tried?

JohnD
February 2nd, 2018, 18:16
What's the screen size and resolution?

RunningHill
February 2nd, 2018, 20:58
Well it's an old low voltage I7 with only 2 cores and not to be compared to a I7 in normal terms. It's running on half the GHz that todays processors are running on. Don't expect it to be able to run it just because it's an I7.
But that shouldn't do anything on the map size..

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 21:08
The main issues with slow performance are opening too many modules or very large images (i.e. above 2048x2048 resolution). If the general interface is OK, but the dice are laggy/choppy then this is usually related to the advanced graphics settings on your graphics card. There are various posts on these forums that discuss settings to change.

Otherwise, please give us more specific info on the issues you're experiencing - otherwise we're just guessing... Thanks!

Xemit
February 2nd, 2018, 21:16
Speed of HD, amount of DRAM, performance level of GPU and its DRAM will also affect performance.

Many notebooks have dual GPUs. a low performance one for simple graphics, and a high performance one for accelerated graphics. Often the enhanced performance GPU has to be chosen/configured per application to be utilized.

I have a high end I7 8 core 3.5GHz CPU, SSD, and GTX 960 video, and I do find that the start-up of FG is slow (others have mentioned this too), but once loaded and PCs connected (and synced), everything runs very well. My notebook has similar performance CPU and GPU, but runs at 2 x 4K instead of 1 x 2K video. Performance is about the same as my desktop, albeit at much higher resolution. Notebook set to 250% scaling in the OS so that fonts are actually visible.

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 21:23
...I do find that the start-up of FG is slow (others have mentioned this too), but once loaded and PCs connected (and synced), everything runs very well. ...
FYI, startup time is generally attributed to number of campaigns in the campaigns folder. I move old campaigns off to an archive folder so I can get to them later if I ever want. Also, their has been some anecdotal evidence that one of the web browser applications being open and using lots of tabs may also impact startup, but this has not been isolated yet.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 21:33
I do find that the start-up of FG is slow (others have mentioned this too),
Slow loading a campaign or just slow starting up and getting to the main welcome screen before you even do anything? If the latter, then I have this too if Chrome is running when I start FG. This was identified by another community user - celestian here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42019-Loading-speed-sluggish-behavior-issues-(browser-related-)

damned
February 2nd, 2018, 23:42
The Cintiq Companion 1 hardware specs are ample to run FG.
That doesnt not mean that your configuration will necessarily be good or bad there are tonnes of other things that make your setup unique to you.

Anyway...

The screen resolution at 1080p and the small screen at 13.3" is going to make things look small.
Try some of the Big Font extensions in the coreRPG or 5e extensions sticky posts.
Try using /scaleui 125 in the chat window.

Do spend some time learning the interface/controls.
They may be dissimilar to apps you are used to using and may take a few goes to become familiar with them.

Check Video drivers for newer versions.
Check if Direct X is up to date.
Reboot before running FG.

Please report back on what things you try and what does or does not work for your case.

Xemit
February 6th, 2018, 19:45
Starting FG is fairly quick. It is slow opening any campaign. I have the three sample campaigns shippd with FG and two test ones I'm playing around in. Uses Wizards theme and ToA decal. I had created a module for any additional tokens, and don't have it loaded.

Takes about 1.5 minutes to open the campaign. Didn't used to.

Moon Wizard
February 6th, 2018, 19:48
When loading the campaign, there are many things that affect load time:
* The graphic detail of the ruleset (5E > 3.5E > CoreRPG)
* The number of extensions loaded, especially theme and decal extensions
* The number of tokens in your tokens/shared and tokens/host folders
* The number of modules open, especially newer modules with reference manuals.

To decrease load time, make sure that you are using as few extensions as possible (i.e. you only need at most one theme and/or decal extension). Also, pare down your tokens/shared and tokens/host folders, and close any modules you're not using (i.e. adventures you've already completed).

Regards,
JPG