PDA

View Full Version : .mod file changed by antivirus on download

ProNobis
February 2nd, 2018, 14:17
Hi guys,

About 1/10 people that have been downloading my files have found that they don't open in FG. As I've been talking with them, I've discovered that their copies have had their extension (.mod) changed to the real extension type. I'm assuming that this is done by their antivirus that is "helping" them, but in so doing breaks the code. It is easy enough to fix. Open the file location in windows explorer. Click the "view" tab at the top and then check the box that says "file name extensions". Now remove everything after the period (likely three letters) and replace them with "mod". The file name should end looking something like: Incarante-Engine_0_2_1_009.mod

As for why I'm posting this in the House of Healing... Would it be possible to have FG recognize modules by their true file extension for situations like this where the extension is "fixed" by software on the end users computer?

Blessings,
ProNobis

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2018, 14:23
I think it is probably the numbers or the title of the module rather than the .mod that might be causing the issue. Also it depends on how good/bad the antivirus software is. Obviously FG already recognises .mod files; it isn't a problem that FG has or can fix. The issue lies with the AV program.

Talyn
February 2nd, 2018, 14:28
.mod is the 'true' file extension, so no idea what you're on about with that.

Two things come to mind:
1) your friends don't have their Windows setup to show file extensions to begin with (which you kinda addressed)
2) other than FG modules, the .mod file extension is more widely known as an older music file from the late 80s–early 90s and that's what Windows thinks it is as well.

When you say "people who have been downloading my files" does this mean you're emailing them your custom .mod you have built? Or using the standard FG sharing function?

Andraax
February 2nd, 2018, 14:32
I think he's saying he would like FG to recognize files with ".zip" extension as modules.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 15:31
I think we need more information on this. I’m confused as to what "the true file extension" actually is.

@ProNobis - Please provide an example of what people are seeing. Details such as
- what is the full name of the file, including extension, on your server?
- what does the full file name change to once downloaded?

ProNobis
February 2nd, 2018, 16:14
Unfortunately I'm dealing with this second hand. Two of the people (of about 20) that I walked through the process of downloading the file from here https://incarnategaming.github.io found that upon downloading instead (server name) of Incarnate-Engine0_2_0_009.mod they had (post download) Incarante-Engine0_2_0_009.zip I had them override the .zip renaming it as a .mod and it then worked. The originals are saved as .mod files and I know of no reason why these individuals would claim that it was a .zip besides actually being renamed by a .zip. I cannot think of any reason why a .mod would be renamed a .zip unless there was some software (probably antivirus) scanning downloads and that it detected a .zip formatting with an incorrect name so it "fixed" it.

And yes, I was asking if FG could be set to recognize a .zip folder. I'm not sure how sensitive the reality of .mod being .zip is. I do know that it is at least the first layer of defense for IP in FG, but I suspect there are others as well. Do you wish for me to scrub this entire thread?

JohnD
February 2nd, 2018, 16:21
Could one of those download helper programs do something like this? Pure supposition on my part.

Regardless, the downloader's system is changing the file extension for some reason. I don't know that Smiteworks can do anything about that.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 16:30
unless there was some software (probably antivirus) scanning downloads and that it detected a .zip formatting with an incorrect name so it "fixed" it.
I doubt any reputable AV software would do this. Because it then would essentially be doing what some viruses do - alter files on your computer! It's possible the browser might be doing it, or some download app they may be using. Who knows what people have installed on their computers!

And yes, I was asking if FG could be set to recognize a .zip folder. I'm not sure how sensitive the reality of .mod being .zip is.
I think getting FG to recognise ZIP extension files directly would cause all sorts of issues - FG suddenly recognising ZIP backups people have made. People posting .zip files on the forums and no one knowing if they are .mod, .ext, .pak, .ppk or whatever! "Where do these go? I have no idea what they are?" Better to try to address the issue at source - see below.

Do you wish for me to scrub this entire thread?
It's OK. Any threads where people discuss issues and ideas is OK.

I think your best approach is to put a warning/guideline next to the downloads on your web site - saomething like "Check that the file downloaded has a .mod extension - if it has a .zip extension rename to .mod"

ProNobis
February 2nd, 2018, 16:31
True, and there may well be nothing they can do, but so often Zaachaeus has had a brilliant thought when I am stuck, that I thought I would ask.

ProNobis
February 2nd, 2018, 16:34
I think your best approach is to put a warning/guideline next to the downloads on your web site - saomething like "Check that the file downloaded has a .mod extension - if it has a .zip extension rename to .mod"
I added that this morning here: https://incarnategaming.github.io/blog/download-instructions/
I'm not the best at explaining things so I'm probably going to have to redo the language a bunch before people get it and don't need to pm me about it anymore.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 16:39
I added that this morning here: https://incarnategaming.github.io/blog/download-instructions/
I'd recommend putting a link to those download instructions right after the download links on the download page. Things need to be very obvious for people to notice them - and still some might not read them and just contact you directly. But all you can do is try to make things as obvious and accessible as possible.

Xemit
February 2nd, 2018, 17:58
Using IE 11 on Win 7 x64 and have most manager plugins disabled (leaving only Java and Google Search enabled), and it tries to rename extension to zip. Using MS SE for AV. This appears to possibly be an issue on the web server as far as compatibility. Link does show .mod, but activating it changes it to .zip.

FireFox is not renaming the file, so something is changing the POST.

I have not seen IE do this on any other web site for many years on this PC now.

Talyn
February 2nd, 2018, 18:17
Works fine on Chrome as well. Maybe it's an IE thing? How is it 2018 and people still haven't been trained to not use IE ever? :)

ProNobis
February 2nd, 2018, 19:27
IE has many problems, especially now that it is not supported. I highly recommend upgrading to Chrome or Firefox. If you must use a Microsoft version please at least use Edge. IE is a play-box for hackers, it is so full of holes that it makes their lives easy.

Xemit
February 2nd, 2018, 20:14
Except Edge is Windows 10 only...

At my last employer, IE is the only permitted browser and we have very few issues with it. At most you may have to add a web site to the compatibility mode list. And don't use the MS suggested list as it is very badly out of date.

AV handles the rest...

damned
February 3rd, 2018, 00:19
IE has many problems, especially now that it is not supported. I highly recommend upgrading to Chrome or Firefox. If you must use a Microsoft version please at least use Edge. IE is a play-box for hackers, it is so full of holes that it makes their lives easy.

IE is not unsupported.
ALL browsers are continually being found to have holes and are continually being patched.

Except Edge is Windows 10 only...

At my last employer, IE is the only permitted browser and we have very few issues with it. At most you may have to add a web site to the compatibility mode list. And don't use the MS suggested list as it is very badly out of date.

AV handles the rest...

IE is used in many organisations that have apps that prefer IE.
There are still hundreds of millions of browsers using IE as their default browser.

There are various applications that ignore file extensions and look at the actual file... it appears that IE11 is doing that and ignoring the .mod

As Tenloe points out - .mod, .ext, .ppk, .pak etc files all use ZIP to present them as a single file so accepting ZIPs isnt going to work...

ProNobis
February 3rd, 2018, 20:29
Not the first time and surely not the last that I'm wrong. Thank you for the correction.