PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Core Rules Pruchase vs What comes with Fantasygrounds

Stargrove
February 2nd, 2018, 03:51
Are there any advantages to purchasing the Core Rules module here vs just using what comes with Fantasygrounds? Is there something in what we might purchase here that we don't get otherwise?

James

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 04:09
Yes.

What comes with FG license is the "ruleset". A ruleset is not the rule books. It is the mechanics that enable you to play. It is the character sheet with all the fields. It is the knowledge that an attack goes against AC, etc. It does not include information on what class skills a ranger has. It is not the rules on what items are available for purchase. It has nothing substantial to read. If you have the rule books (hard copy or pdf) you can type in everything (spell descriptions, item descriptions, etc).

If you purchase the "books" here on FG, you can drag and drop your class onto the character sheet and level up. You can drag a sword onto your inventory and an attack action will be created. You can also "read" them like you would a digital book using the Reference Manual. You can view all the images that are in the book(s). Everything that is in the print book is also in the FG module. Also note that if you have bought the pdf from Paizo, you can link your account and get a discount on the FG module, otherwise when you buy the FG module you will get the pdf for free from Paizo once you link your account.

Note that their are many community modules that contain information similar to the "books" that have been released under the OGL/Community Agreement. Some of those have been updated with the newer features like drag and drop, some have not, I don't believe any have a Reference Manual section. Either you will have to wait for someone else to chime in or search the forums here for details on more those details.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2018, 04:17
Note: the Fantasy Grounds license does include OGL modules for Rules, spells, magic items and bestiary 1.

What you don’t get is all of the artwork, rulebook text, etc..

What I suggest is you look at the OGL modules, see their drag/functionality and data and see if this is OK for you. If not, have a look at the video on the Core Rules product page and decide if the additional functionality is something you want.

hawkwind
February 2nd, 2018, 07:41
people where playing Pathfinder for years on Fantasy grounds effectively before the official rule set came out, you don't need it to play but it saves a lot of time

Geretom
March 12th, 2018, 17:05
Hi,
I'm a new member of the FG community and my English is not best....
I bought the official core rulebook. Am I seeing well, that it is impossible to make a custom magic item with the official crb? (for example if I want to make a +3 keen holy dagger)
And as I can see, there is no effect (drag&drop) for buff and the debuff spells, class abilities and etc. Is it going to be a future feature or we have to do it manually?

Ckorik
March 13th, 2018, 13:32
Hi,
I'm a new member of the FG community and my English is not best....
I bought the official core rulebook. Am I seeing well, that it is impossible to make a custom magic item with the official crb? (for example if I want to make a +3 keen holy dagger)
And as I can see, there is no effect (drag&drop) for buff and the debuff spells, class abilities and etc. Is it going to be a future feature or we have to do it manually?

Download and use this - it works for what you want.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38761-CustomisedItemGenerator-Extension

Geretom
March 13th, 2018, 15:52
Thank you! I will try it.

Netjera
June 6th, 2019, 08:21
I just purchased the Core Rulebook. Every time I try to unload the PFSRD, it looks as if it's working, but when I exit to the tabletop, it's still there (I have doubles of all the tables). If I go back into "Modules", it is reactivated. Is this normal behavior, or am I missing something? Thanks.

PS - I don't want two copies of every armor, or weapon, or anything else. I'd rather use the CRB and not the PFSRD.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2019, 15:46
I just purchased the Core Rulebook. Every time I try to unload the PFSRD, it looks as if it's working, but when I exit to the tabletop, it's still there (I have doubles of all the tables). If I go back into "Modules", it is reactivated. Is this normal behavior, or am I missing something?
What operating system are you running? If you're running on a Mac, use the desktop right-click menu to exit, don't just close the window down.

After exiting, check the date of the modulestate.xml file in your campaign directory - has it been updated at the time you exited FG? If not, then you may have issues with the write privileges on that file. Load the campaign back up, and type /console in chat, this will open the FG message console. Then using the desktop right-click menu, exit back to the launcher ("Return to Launcher") so that the console window remains open, and see if there are any message regarding not being able to save files.

Netjera
June 7th, 2019, 06:50
What operating system are you running? If you're running on a Mac, use the desktop right-click menu to exit, don't just close the window down.

After exiting, check the date of the modulestate.xml file in your campaign directory - has it been updated at the time you exited FG? If not, then you may have issues with the write privileges on that file. Load the campaign back up, and type /console in chat, this will open the FG message console. Then using the desktop right-click menu, exit back to the launcher ("Return to Launcher") so that the console window remains open, and see if there are any message regarding not being able to save files.

Thanks for all the help. :) The modulestate file is dated yesterday, which is when I was trying to access it, so it seems as if I've got write permissions. I did notice after several tries that I finally got the modules to stay turned off. Does the SRD Bestiary require the SRD Basic Rules to be loaded? Or will it function with the Pathfinder Core Rulebook installed? I couldn't afford to get more than the CRB at this time, so everything else is what came with Fantasy Grounds.

Also - somewhat unrelated - how do I get to the text of the CRB? When I click things, a lot of times they're coming up empty. I seem to have skills and feats and classes, etc for the CRB, but not any of the story text that goes along with it, and which explains what's going on.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2019, 15:39
Does the SRD Bestiary require the SRD Basic Rules to be loaded? Or will it function with the Pathfinder Core Rulebook installed?
Nope and yes.

Also - somewhat unrelated - how do I get to the text of the CRB? When I click things, a lot of times they're coming up empty. I seem to have skills and feats and classes, etc for the CRB, but not any of the story text that goes along with it, and which explains what's going on.
Open the "Reference Manual" link for the CRB from the library window.