PDA

View Full Version : Window Manager Extension?

Tovrin
February 1st, 2018, 22:00
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there some kind of extension out there that will make it easier to keep track of open windows?

The game I run is a kind of hybrid table-top P&P game where only some players have access to PCs. This usually meas that I'm doing thing like dragging loot onto inventories and so on. Lots of windows. 1080p screen. Slow to manage. Slows game down.

If I had some kind of management window that let me see the screens I have open, it would be handy. Is there anything like that out there?

LordEntrails
February 1st, 2018, 22:05
Not that I've ever heard mentioned. I believe their is a similar request in the wishlist, but no extensions.

Tovrin
February 1st, 2018, 22:06
Hmmm. I know about the wishlist entry. I voted on it. I may have to drag a second monitor to the game then.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2018, 22:09
There is the Window Saver (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38389-Window-Saver-Extension) extension which will restore whatever windows were open following a restart. I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for but I don't think that will be it.

One thing you might try is hotkeying various things so that you can get to them more quickly; there are 96 available so plenty of scope.

Tovrin
February 1st, 2018, 22:31
The hotkey trick might be handy. That'll definately speed up finding various windows, especially characters.

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 02:31
You can open the character sheets from their icon in the top left. But yea, hot keys are great.

Tovrin
February 2nd, 2018, 02:40
You can open the character sheets from their icon in the top left. But yea, hot keys are great.

Sadly, not for those players without laptops. As I said, mine is a hybrid game with some players doing the P&P thing. It only shows players logged in.

Andraax
February 2nd, 2018, 04:58
Sadly, not for those players without laptops. As I said, mine is a hybrid game with some players doing the P&P thing. It only shows players logged in.

The GM can connect another session as a player and take control of the all the characters that do not have laptops. Then the characters show up in the upper left, and you can bring up the character sheets by clicking on the portraits. If you turn on manual dice, then when the player rolls real dice, you can enter the result into FG and take advantage of the automation.

damned
February 2nd, 2018, 05:09
Players can be opened from CT or for PS or from the Characters Tab.
Do as Andraax suggests and open a localhost session to get the rest of the portraits on the to of the screen.

Honestly -
If your map has pins on it you only need the map, chat and combat tracker open all the time.
All your story and encounters and parcels and everything like that is on the map pins.
All your reference material or other links you find important drag to the Hot Keys.
Close every window other than those three after you use it.
Dont have 28 windows open. There is no advantage to it.

Andraax
February 2nd, 2018, 06:09
This usually meas that I'm doing thing like dragging loot onto inventories and so on.

You can do this directly from the party sheet. Put the loot into the inventory tab (or just drag the treasure parcel for the encounter to that tab), put character names in the "assignment" field, then click the distribute button.

Tovrin
February 2nd, 2018, 20:29
You can do this directly from the party sheet. Put the loot into the inventory tab (or just drag the treasure parcel for the encounter to that tab), put character names in the "assignment" field, then click the distribute button.

Correct. I can do all that. Forget about opening character sheets. That's only PART of the problem. It's ALL THE OTHER windows on top of having character sheets, combat trackers, party windows, maps, parcels, story, NPCs and everything else on a 1080p laptop that's making window management an absolute nightmare. It's slowing down the game to an absolute crawl. players are telling me what their doing and half the time I'm saying "Hang on! I'm trying to find things". It becomes a big mess. There has to be a better way of organising the UI.

EDIT: And YES. I know about /scaleui. It then goes from one mess to a blurry mess then.

Andraax
February 2nd, 2018, 20:40
When I run games, I have no more than 4-6 windows open at a time, and usually only 3 - the map, the CT, and the current story entry (which include links to any needed encounters, parcels, traps, etc). Also, if you need a window and it's at the bottom of a stack, click whatever opens it again, and it will move to the top.

Edit: This is what my screen looks like about 70-75% of the time I'm GMing.
https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/Typical.png

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 21:17
Yea, their is no magic trick (or tool), but it's really about discipline, organization and practice.

For things that you frequently access, use the hot links. For things you are working with, you can always right click Minimize them and then move the icon around to have them organized. But the big thing to to minimize the number of things you have open.

Let the players place links to references you need in the chat and you can open them from there (i.e. if they are looking up a spell and you want to double check it).

I usually have two maps open, the GM area map, and the current battle map. The GM map has links to all the story entries by location. That story entry as links to everything I need with that location; encounter, parcel, associated references, etc. This means I just need one story entry open at any given time.

Not sure what other advice we can give you at the time. Maybe if you can give us some explanations of all these things you are trying to find and all the windows you are trying to organize we might be able to give more suggestions.