PDA

View Full Version : Word ongoing damage in a NPCs text to get the effect to show up in the CT

Axoid
February 1st, 2018, 20:36
I know how to create an ongoing damage effect (DMGO: X type), but what I'm trying to do is have the text in a NPCs trait create an ongoing damage effect that I can drop onto a character directly from the combat tracker.

My example is I created a crimson bones monster, and am trying to simulate its blood poisoning ability. Here is the text from the trait I have on the NPC at the moment.

Whenever a crimson bones is hit by an adjacent attacker, the attacker must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or be splashed with its blood. If a splashed attacker is a living creature, she must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or contract advanced blood poisoning. The victim suffers 1 poison damage every round until she dies or her blood is purified with a neutralize poison spell or equivalent effect.

When I hover over the 1 poison damage every round, only the 1 poison damage highlights and from the CT I can apply a single point of damage to a character.

Is there a way to have ongoing damage parsed so it shows up properly in the CT and text field on the monster? My fallback is to create a "Blood Poisoning" effect that applies DMGO:1 poison, but it's just an extra step to open the effects dialog and copy that over.

Thanks,

Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2018, 21:10
Here's one example:
The target takes 5 fire damage at the start of each of its turns.

The best way is to usually copy a creature or creature power that already does what you want, and modify to fit your needs. All of the language parsing is based on the way that the official books phrase the powers.

Regards,
JPG

Axoid
February 1st, 2018, 21:15
Awesome, that wording worked perfectly. I was looking for an example monster, but there aren't many in 5e that have ongoing effects. I found the stirge, but it's parsing didn't get the effect.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2018, 21:30
More on text strings for effects on NPCs here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs).

I haven't messed with the Stirge since the damage comes off at the start of the Stirge's turn instead of at the start of the victims turn which is usually when the damage gets taken off.

Axoid
February 1st, 2018, 22:13
Thanks guys.