PDA

View Full Version : House healing rules in 5e

Sir_BeerBaron
January 31st, 2018, 22:56
Since picking up 5e earlier in 2017 and being on a hiatus since AD&D (2e) days, the healing/short rest/long rest thing is hard for me to process.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how it works. My issue is that I find it far to easy on players especially in later levels - almost video game like. I hate it.

I like dependency on a Cleric, strategy and healing potions and strategy ...and more strategy.

Here is what I have done in regards to the 'healing question' and sent it along to my players-

Hit Dice. You get one of these + Constitution bonus every time you advance a level to determine your maximum hit points. ie. 4th level has 4 hit dice.
Each class has its own die roll - ie. Fighter 10 side die, Cleric d8, Wizard d6, etc.
Fantasy Grounds (FG) sorts this out automatically when you advance. However...
Using the example of a 4th level character, you will also have 4 (at 5th lvl. 5 dice, etc) useable bonus hit dice for the purpose of healing. This is conveniently located at the very bottom of the Main tab of your character sheet. This is where the house rules come in-
Short rest (1hr or more of uninterrupted chill): a character can use 1 bonus hit die + constitution bonus to heal lost hit points. This can be done once per day for healing purposes.
Long Rest (8hr or more of uninterrupted rest within a 24hr period): a character can use a maximum of 2 bonus hit dice + constitution bonus per die to heal lost hit points OR regain two used hit dice. A long rest can only be done once per day.
Resting for 5 full days will recover all damage and hit dice under most circumstances.
All other official long rest/short rest rules still apply.
Now whether you disagree or agree with this approach, my dilemma is actually how does one implement it in FG without mass confusion ensuing. The mechanics baked in to FG clearly do not allow for this type of edit.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2018, 23:10
Have you looked at the optional healing rules in the DMG - which are implemented in FG. I don’t use them and it is a while since I read them but one of the options sounds similarish to what you want to do.

Nulk
January 31st, 2018, 23:45
Either Slow Natural Healing or the Gritty Realism variant rules in the DMG (pg 267) coupled with Healer's Kit Dependency variant rule (DMG pg 266) are a tough combo to play with.

Sir_BeerBaron
February 1st, 2018, 00:02
The options available are slow natural, standard or surge. Surge is definitely out; I can fiddle with standard and make my players curse at me, but get the job done; slow natural may be too much of a challenge. And with either standard or slow natural, when a player clicks long rest they regain 1/2 of their hit dice back. I have no idea what the difference is between standard and slow natural in FG terms. Ideally, I would like to modify this to fit my need.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2018, 00:10
You are not going to do exactly what you want unless you write an extension to do it. I can’t think of any way to finesse things otherwise, but as I say i’ve Never really looked at the alternatives.

Sir_BeerBaron
February 1st, 2018, 00:14
OK... rtfm for me- "slow natural healing: Characters don't regain hit points at the end of a long rest. Instead, a character can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just as with a short rest." However, they still regain 1/2 their hit dice. I want this gain to be no more than 2 hit dice or none at all. Maybe I just have to work out a process to manage this, what else when clicking Long Rest is effected in the character sheet? Maybe I just go with slow natural to save on the grief this will bring by fudging with the baked in rules.

Sir_BeerBaron
February 1st, 2018, 00:16
I hear you Zacchaeus.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2018, 00:38
A long rest will reset spell slots and will remove certain effects which are due to run out. You could just reset spell slots manually and I don’t find many effects hang around long enough to get reset, so that would be a possibility. HD can be manually edited too of course.

Sir_BeerBaron
February 1st, 2018, 00:48
HD cannot be manually edited... or at least I have not figured out how. That is part of my dilemma.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2018, 01:04
Click on the small magnifying glass at the top of the character sheet to open the meta data. You can edit the number of HD used there.

Sir_BeerBaron
February 1st, 2018, 01:10
Smashing! That will help immensely.