PDA

View Full Version : Iniative

Tambryn
March 25th, 2006, 17:31
How does everyone feel about not rolling initiative for their characters? If your GM rolled your iniative for you ahead of time and just incorportated it into the combat. The person with the highest init will still tend to go first and all that. No reall difference in how your initiative score affected the game. Just you would not do the rolling, it would be done ahead of time.

Tam

Jozan
March 25th, 2006, 17:35
In my live session games, we had the DM roll for our initaive checks,saves,and skill checks. We just wrote down our modifiers for the checks the DM needed.
I don't see any differences between the players or DM rolling, still takes the same amount of time for the DM to roll as it does the player. As the player you just have less of an idea as to what the DC for the check is.

Wraith
March 25th, 2006, 17:54
I think that taking the dice out of the player's hands defeats the perpose of this program if thats the case then you could just use a random number generater and it would be faster. I think the players should roll everything it make it feel like at least something is under thier control.

festivus
March 25th, 2006, 18:06
I let my players usually roll for initiative. I do most of the listen and spot stuff unless they request it. Sometimes I roll outside the chat box or roll a real die at my desk too, depending upon how secretive I want to be about something.

One thing I do however is I don't use FG for tracking combat. We have crashed one to many times mid combat and lose all the combat order. Instead, I use the game mechanics PDF initiative cards (they are free) that I printed onto 110lb paper and use those for tracking combat. If 1.06 patch comes out and saves the initiave table whenever it's updated I might switch back to it.

Jozan
March 25th, 2006, 18:08
I think that taking the dice out of the player's hands defeats the perpose of this program if thats the case then you could just use a random number generater and it would be faster. I think the players should roll everything it make it feel like at least something is under thier control.

Yea, that is a good point. I think it's silly to come up with to make games go "faster" I personally like to take all the time I can when playing so that I get to play longer. There are some aspects that should not take as long as they should, but I think they can be solved by better familairizing yourselfs with the rules and procedures. My group,before online became the only way we got to play, had a 10 second time limit to make an action or move. I found that it helped keep players' attention focused on what was going on, other than letting their minds wander until it was their turn. It made combat move along quickly. I think that's about as far as we went to make things go faster.

LordTomar
March 25th, 2006, 18:43
I let my players usually roll for initiative. I do most of the listen and spot stuff unless they request it. Sometimes I roll outside the chat box or roll a real die at my desk too, depending upon how secretive I want to be about something.

Well truth is according to the 3.5 rules, DM acualy makes a number of the rolls for skills.

For initiative, I wouldnt mind the Dm rolling for initiatives for the players, as long as he rolls a die for each char and doesnt just roll 1 for the group.

Tambryn
March 25th, 2006, 19:10
A seperate die per player is what I had in mind. And I plan on rolling them before the game actually starts so that that much information is already decided. My intention is not to take away any control from the players, but just to attain and maintain a certain level of rules fluidity so that we can focus on the story.

Tam

Cypher
March 25th, 2006, 19:51
I usually let all my players make all their own rolls.

Players like to throw dice. Plain and simple.

Cantstanzya
April 2nd, 2006, 00:59
What I have my players do is roll their own init and drag it to a mini sheet that I created. This updates the mini sheet and is tied to the combat page. I have a shortcut of "/v roll init and drag to mini-sheet" The players roll their init drag it to their mini sheet and then check the checkbox. When all the boxes are checked I do a sort of the the combat sheet and now it is in the order of the init that they rolled. I roll for the npcs and the monsters before I do the sort..