PDA

View Full Version : Use of tokens in commercial FG adventure module?

LoreSmyth
January 29th, 2018, 15:23
Hello dear FG users,

I am writing on behalf of LoreSmyth, a small indie publisher. We have plans to publish adventures on FG.
Since it is new to us, we want to make sure we get things right. Who could answer this question?

Q. Is there a default set of tokens of common creatures that we can include without violating copyrights? Think Ankheg, Skeleton etc
We know there are free token sets around, but that may not mean we can include them in a commercial product.

Any help on this topic is welcome.

Thanks!!

Trenloe
January 29th, 2018, 15:33
I am writing on behalf of LoreSmyth, a small indie publisher. We have plans to publish adventures on FG.
Since it is new to us, we want to make sure we get things right. Who could answer this question?
Welcome to the forums! I have a few of your product and really like them. :)

If you are thinking of publishing commercial FG adventures please contact the SmiteWorks guys direct - they have a few requirements you need to be aware of and they'll be able to answer your questions.

Your best approach is to email [email protected]

LoreSmyth
January 29th, 2018, 15:48
Hi Trenloe,

thanks for the praise and tip. Is the info available somewhere online?
I scoured the developer wiki but could not find it. If not, then I will mail the support.
Just don't want to flood them with stuff that I can find online myself.

Cheers!

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2018, 15:51
Hi Trenloe,

thanks for the praise and tip. Is the info available somewhere online?
I scoured the developer wiki but could not find it. If not, then I will mail the support.
Just don't want to flood them with stuff that I can find online myself.

Cheers!

It isn't no. Your best bet is as Trenloe suggests.

Talyn
January 29th, 2018, 15:54
Do as @Trenloe suggests and email SmiteWorks. I suspect they'll tell you to use a wildcard link with their standard naming technique, that way if a GM happens to have a module with that token name, it will link automatically. If she does not have one, FG will assign it a generic letter token. They'll explain the process to you. :)

Trenloe
January 29th, 2018, 16:35
Do as @Trenloe suggests and email SmiteWorks. I suspect they'll tell you to use a wildcard link with their standard naming technique, that way if a GM happens to have a module with that token name, it will link automatically. If she does not have one, FG will assign it a generic letter token. They'll explain the process to you. :)
Unfortunately I don't think wildcards work for token modules - unless there's been some recent code that allows it. The token modules are handled differently - they're really a filesystem within FG, not database records to be searched (which is what modules are). This is why you can actually reference a token file in a token module, and use it fine in your campaign or another module, without the module being open in FG!

Talyn
January 29th, 2018, 17:50
Hmph that's bogus then; here I thought I was onto a nifty idea that would help them out. :(

LoreSmyth
January 29th, 2018, 18:13
I believe my colleague who helped create the FG grounds conversion mentioned he uses wildcard links, referencing some existing tokens.
I guess my question is twofold: Do I implicate any copyright issues by using other's tokens, and does it hurt our sales/revenue share. We can create our own artwork ofcourse, but its a bit lame to do so for basic creatures like Skeletons and Goblins that are likely alraedy available by default?

Talyn
January 29th, 2018, 18:16
If, in fact, the wildcard links do work for tokens, then I'd say you're ok because you are not distributing the tokens yourself but rather linking the graphics to a module a given GM may or may not have.

The GMs have the ability to set any token they wish, so that's usually why for third-party adventures, we just let FG assign the generic letter tokens and the GMs can take it from there if they happen to have their own tokens they want to use.

Salva
January 29th, 2018, 18:23
Hi, i have one question, which is the order or priority followed by FG to asign (i think the this process is auto) the token.
Is this secuence is correct?:
1st.The one included in the module if there is any.
2nd.The one the user/DM of the module have.
3rd.The default from FG (the letters).

Thanks

Trenloe
January 29th, 2018, 18:23
I'm sorry to mention this again - SmiteWorks have been very clear recently that any commercial FG products be discussed with SmiteWorks themselves.

@Talyn - I know you're just trying to help, but can we leave such discussions about commercial products, how to make them, etc. to SmiteWorks and the relevant publishers please? There's questions being asked about copyright and sales/market share - we shouldn't be giving any answers on those things, or anything relating to such matters.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2018, 18:29
I guess my question is twofold: Do I implicate any copyright issues by using other's tokens, and does it hurt our sales/revenue share.
@LoreSmyth - I know you've got a captive audience here and people are responding to your questions quickly. But please can you direct any commercial, copyright, sales/revenue discussion, etc. to SmiteWorks - they are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

Thanks very much!

LoreSmyth
January 29th, 2018, 21:15
Thanks for all the answers, Yes I believe Im beginning to understand it now :)

Unless we provide custom tokens, a token will be loaded the GM has in his library matching the name, if that is not available, a default/fallback is used.

LoreSmyth
January 30th, 2018, 09:58
@LoreSmyth - I know you've got a captive audience here and people are responding to your questions quickly. But please can you direct any commercial, copyright, sales/revenue discussion, etc. to SmiteWorks - they are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

Thanks very much!

Yep totally agree, thanks for your help!