PDA

View Full Version : Magical weapons that grow with players.

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 20:03
Not sure where else to post this. Hope this forums is ok.

So I've given out several items key to the campaign. These items are magical and start out fairly minor in nature (+1, or light source, etc)

As players get to higher levels, that Leaf of the Suntree blade that used to only glow as bright as a torch when commanded, will glow brighter and cause fire damage... if the player can figure out there is more to it and is of a higher level. So as they unravel the story, they also unravel their magical items and get to have fun trying to discover the true extent of them.

Question is: I know there is some way to hide the description of, say, a potion. (and how do I do that?) but is there a way to reveal only certain aspects of an item at a time, or will I need to create multiple versions of the items in question?

LordEntrails
January 27th, 2018, 20:16
Their is an option to turn on Item Identification. But it will reveal everything at once, and the players will know if it is not identified.

So, how would you handle this around the table? You would tell them, 'hey, your sword glows like a torch when you are underground' (or whatever). Then when they grow, and the weapon gets more powerful, (however your role play that) then you say 'hey, your sword now not only glows when underground, but now you notice when you hit fiends it sparks with lightning and does an extra 1d6 lightning damage to fiends'.

That's the same way you are going to do it in FG. You will have to just change the item as it grows, or have several versions of the item you switch at as it grows.

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2018, 20:22
Make several variations for each item progressing with the +1 and then moving on to the next level up. Then when the player does whatever you need them to do swap out the old for the new.

MadCar_1
January 27th, 2018, 21:04
I worked in a Staff of Power that was powered by 4 large black pearls of power. Unfortunately, only 1 of the pearls was functional, the other 3 cracked by a bumbling sorcerer. I reduced all the effects to 1/4 original power (Charges, damage, ...). As the player progressed through the campaign, I made finding usable pearls part of the plot or subplots. That way the staff grew in power as the player did. He also had to seek out magic users that would perform the necessary repairs to add one of the found pearls.

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 23:16
I worked in a Staff of Power that was powered by 4 large black pearls of power. Unfortunately, only 1 of the pearls was functional, the other 3 cracked by a bumbling sorcerer. I reduced all the effects to 1/4 original power (Charges, damage, ...). As the player progressed through the campaign, I made finding usable pearls part of the plot or subplots. That way the staff grew in power as the player did. He also had to seek out magic users that would perform the necessary repairs to add one of the found pearls.

The bonus to that approach is you could have the pearls be separate Items with spells, etc embedded. and just add them one at a time

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 23:18
@LordEntrails & @Zaccheus, thanks for the replies. That is what I was afraid it would be. It's too bad the system implies enchantment while hiding details, almost defeats the purpose unless you knew it was a potion with some purpose, just not what.

Zacchaeus
January 28th, 2018, 00:09
@LordEntrails & @Zaccheus, thanks for the replies. That is what I was afraid it would be. It's too bad the system implies enchantment while hiding details, almost defeats the purpose unless you knew it was a potion with some purpose, just not what.

I’m not quite sure what you mean. The DMG tells us that just by handling an item a character knows that it has magical properties but not exactly what. So FG handles that beautifully by allowing the DM to create an item and have it given to the players unidentified. So the character knows they have a magic item, but not exactly what it does.

In the case of potions the character can identify it by taking a small sip of it.

LordEntrails
January 28th, 2018, 00:50
FG can leave mundane items unidentified as well. So you can leave a sword or a flask of oil unidentified for the players if you want. Then they won't know its magical or not. So if you use Item ID, then all items behave the same way.

Gix
January 28th, 2018, 03:46
In the case of potions the character can identify it by taking a small sip of it.

"Yup, it was deadly poison ...again... maybe stop sipping crap when you aren't sure what it is?" :D

Zacchaeus
January 28th, 2018, 10:50
"Yup, it was deadly poison ...again... maybe stop sipping crap when you aren't sure what it is?" :D

Taking a small sip only identifies the potion; it does not confer any benefit or cause any adverse effect. As DM of course you are free to make your own rules for these situations.

Gix
January 29th, 2018, 01:23
Taking a small sip only identifies the potion; it does not confer any benefit or cause any adverse effect. As DM of course you are free to make your own rules for these situations.
:D I know. I'm conveying my approach. Take that vial to an alchemist, or otherwise detect magic on it...or drink it all and find out :D