PDA

View Full Version : Buying in to C&C when I get paid

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 05:41
I currently own an Ultimate license, which I bought primarily to run GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy RPG. I asked on the discord for a game I could buy into cheaply and get playing right away with my friends and someone suggested C&C. I had never heard of the game before but after looking into it I am very impressed with what all you can get for just a little money :)

Can you all give me some examples of your favoright experiences with the game? I am really excited to buy in. I was thinking I'd get the ruleset and the keepers guide and the A1 adventure to start with :)

Mortar
January 27th, 2018, 06:12
Welcome!! There are lots of forum members with hefty experience....JohnD.....Andraax (currently working on improving the base ruleset) and the ruleset is set to get some love this year.

My personal favorite was one of the few sessions I got to play with JohnD....I had cleric who couldn't himself in combat if he tried, let alone the gnolls and bugbears we were fighting. I think I actually 4 times over a 2 session period...for a whopping 4 points of damage. It was annoying, embarrassing and funny as hell rolled into one.

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 16:12
Cool :) I was just informed that I didn't really need to get the Keeper's guide starting out to be able to run the game and play it, that it was just extra play options. That's really cool as it'll save me some money to start. But would you guys recomend I pick it up anyway?

Andraax
January 27th, 2018, 16:47
All you *need* is the basic ruleset. It comes with Monsters & Treasure. Once you have those, you should be able to run nearly any "old school" module. The CKG is handy, as is the "Classic Monsters" module.

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 17:24
Cool, would I be able to make my own adventure with the basic ruleset?

Mortar
January 27th, 2018, 17:37
Yes sir.

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 18:51
Awesome :) Thanks.

Andraax
January 27th, 2018, 19:20
In reality, you don't need to buy *anything* to play Castles and Crusades on FG. The "quick start" rules are available online for free (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf), and the game can be played using the CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets. Buying the ruleset, however, gives you some nice automation, the full set of classes and spells, and already fleshed out NPCs and monsters.

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 19:24
In reality, you don't need to buy *anything* to play Castles and Crusades on FG. The "quick start" rules are available online for free (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf), and the game can be played using the CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets. Buying the ruleset, however, gives you some nice automation, the full set of classes and spells, and already fleshed out NPCs and monsters.

Understood :D I do want the basic set though because I want all that nice automation to make it easy for me to GM my first time :)

Trenloe
January 27th, 2018, 21:13
And you have ready made PC and NPC sheets, and more.. Getting the ruleset is a no-brainer if you want to run C&C on FG.

InfinitePudding
January 27th, 2018, 21:24
Yeah :) I'm really excited. I told one of my friends about it and he thought it sounded cool and is excited to play.

damned
January 28th, 2018, 00:31
At the cost you can buy it for on FG its an absolute no brainer.
Its a good game system and a good ruleset.

InfinitePudding
January 28th, 2018, 01:11
Yeah! I'm really surprised at how cheap it is on FG compared to PDFs and physical releases. But I'm not complaining :)

Trueshaft
January 29th, 2018, 04:17
While I have yet to play or GM in a C & C game on FG, I have had some fun experiences playing at a table. I remember one adventure ( this was run at GenCon last year) our group was retrieving an heirloom from a baddies house. there were all sorts of traps and strange rooms in it, as well as henchmen to deal with. At one point my rogue surprised the "boss" in his room just as he was stepping out of his bath, with a towel wrapped around himself. He was a huge muscular guy, and he looked like he was getting ready to attack me with clenched fists. My character decided to grap the guy's towel and pull it off him, which surprised him, and made him use his hands to cover himself, at which point, our fighter grabbed a chair and smacked the big naked guy over the head, knocking him out. We tied him up and quickly made our way through the house, dealing with more traps and upon finding the artifact, beat a hasty retreat, with a huge now half giant sized ( if I remember right, he had an enlarge person spell or potion on him)naked guy chasing us and trying to kill us.
Because of the stripped down and streamlined nature of the toolset, things can happen very quickly, making for a very fun and action-packed feel to the game. It's very easy to play by the seat of your pants, and not get bogged down looking for rules on everything that CKs and players encounter.I think it encourages players to improvise (and role play) a bit more because of that.Really love this system and Savage Worlds.

InfinitePudding
January 29th, 2018, 04:27
XD That's wonderful! I wish I had been at that table when that happened! Hehe