PDA

View Full Version : Who else "Savages" D&D products?

Sgain
January 26th, 2018, 23:17
Hi all;

Much as I love SW and their settings I'm often blown away by the quality of maps and backgrounds and such for 3.5, 4e and 5e, D&D adventures. Over the years I've 'savaged' a few of the adventures for my own group to enjoy, and I wondered who else was doing this? By "Savaged" I mean; converting NPC's and Monsters to SW - bringing over other SW rules to the adventure and generally making it work in FG. Heck I've even done it for Call of Cthulhu stuff as well.

I've been wondering if there was some sort of official way that FG could release 'Savaged' versions of popular products from other game systems...or if other folks who savage stuff could share ideas and information with each other.

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2018, 23:32
Copyright would prevent any kind of distribution of assets, but conversion for your own use would of course be acceptable.

Sgain
January 27th, 2018, 01:01
yep I figured that. I'd be more interested in seeing how other people 'do' their modules.

Talyn
January 27th, 2018, 02:56
On the Official Savage Worlds facebook (yeah, I know...) page it seems like every other day there's conversations about "savaging" this and that. I'd check there, or the PEG forums maybe?

Doswelk
January 27th, 2018, 08:50
Copyright would prevent any kind of distribution of assets, but conversion for your own use would of course be acceptable.
I think you you could "publish" converted characters and monsters, as long as all you did was the SW Game Stats, the blurb text would be copyrighted, but actual game mechanics (after conversion) would not...

i.e. A conversion guide so you would still need the original product, but for example... "The pit trap in room 5, requires an agility check at -2 to avoid, or you will take 2d6 falling damage".

If I am incorrect please correct me :)

Trenloe
January 27th, 2018, 15:23
Yeah, this is a very grey area. You might not be able to refer to the original product by name, but as long as you keep to non-copyright data you'd kinda be OK.

For example, Legendary Games do Adventure Path plugins for Pathfinder. They have good relations with Paizo, but even they don't refer to the name of the Paizo Adventure Path their product is made for by name.

mac40k
January 28th, 2018, 17:32
Zadmar has put together a wealth of SW resources. Several are extremely valuable for conversion work. Take a look here:
https://www.godwars2.org/SavageWorlds/index.html#SavageBeasts

Sgain
January 28th, 2018, 22:27
Thanks for the information and advice guys.

Dershem
February 10th, 2018, 19:05
I'm running Savage Savage Tides the last AP put out in Dragon Magazine.

Sgain
April 11th, 2018, 21:02
Well I've looked into this and found that nobody was doing it. So I contacted AAW Games; adventureaweek.com and they were really receptive to my idea, so now I'm happy to say that I've started 'savaging' their various adventures. Check out their webpage and if you do buy one of the modules, please offer me come criticisms and ideas. I basically just did them the way I do my own adventures and I don't count myself as a 'pro' at this by any means, but it is a lot of fun and I'd like to get more folks into SW and FG so I figured this was a great way of doing it.

Oh and if anyone has a adventureaweek.com adventure they'd like to see 'savaged' tell me and I'll get to work on it pretty quick. I'm presently working on B02 "Happiness in Slavery" and C01 "Alagoran's Gem" and should have those done by next week sometime. After that, I'm open to suggestions.

See you online folks!