PDA

View Full Version : Players Linking Spells (or whatever)

Gix
January 26th, 2018, 15:14
I as the host, have Ultimate FG and all the modules for classes and races, etc... Xanthar's for example.

Players can all see my content and access it... however, when they attempt to drag a link into the window, their link is broken because they don't have the content!

IMO the fix would be (relatively simple).

On link creation in chat, check to see if the player "owns the content".
If they do not, attempt to get the linked content from the GM.
Apply whatever permissions necessary in the case of items with hidden descriptions

Players can now link their abilities, classes, etc.
Everyone is happy.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2018, 15:23
Players can all see my content and access it... however, when they attempt to drag a link into the window, their link is broken because they don't have the content
Which window/s are the players dragging the link to?

Spells, items, etc. if dragged to the PC sheet will create copies of the data (classes, races and background won't - by design).

Gix
January 26th, 2018, 15:27
Which window/s are the players dragging the link to?

Spells, items, etc. if dragged to the PC sheet will create copies of the data (classes, races and background won't - by design).

Hmm... I think they are dragging them off their character sheets... but it's possible it could be from the spells list.

I think the main complaint, regardless of the technical reasons is when dragging into chat from anywhere, the link should "just work" so the GM doesn't have to find the link in order for other players to click it.

The links always work for me as the GM/host.

Nickademus
January 26th, 2018, 15:34
Player's can share links from their character sheet, though other players can't access them because they don't have ownership of the character sheet in the database.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2018, 15:36
As Nickadmeus says - this is due to data ownership. Only the owning player and the GM have access to data from a character sheet.

Gix
January 26th, 2018, 15:49
Player's can share links from their character sheet, though other players can't access them because they don't have ownership of the character sheet in the database.

I appreciate understanding the technical reason it currently doesn't work... however... there are many technical ways to MAKE it work without breaking things... here is the one I like best:

If players don't have ownership of a Character Sheet, that's fine, send the data in a read only packet to anyone who doesn't have ownership. Then they can read, but not edit the internals, that's similar to what happens when I, as the GM link off of someone's character sheet. All the players can see it.

Understand, I *do* get the distinction between technical difficulties in implementation, ie, the reasons, and "how it should work". I'm talking about "how it should work" to make it intuitive for users. I deal with this with every single client of mine. My other developers build a piece of engineering gold, spend hundreds of hours getting it right, but the clients attempt to use it in another way than we thought about. The thing is, the engineer has intelligent thought behind it, but the client is also correct... it SHOULD work the other way, or at least that should be an option. So, we fix it. The product is better. The client is happy. The engineers learn more about non-engineers. We have a better product next sprint as we think through lessons learned from the past.

The linking not working confuses almost without fail, everyone who is new to FG (in my experience). It should be fixed.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2018, 15:51
Please add your request to the wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Gix
January 26th, 2018, 15:56
Also: Forums need a :thumbsup: emoji!

(will do)

LordEntrails
January 26th, 2018, 17:00
Yea, I'm not sure as a GM if I would want my players being able to share some things with each other without my involvement. I mean if I were to give a player some "secret" (spell, story entry, map, etc) I might want to know and approve before they shared that with another player. But, I can see your case too where I may have given a "note" to a player and they should be able to physically share that with any other character.

Wishlist is the solutions! :)

Nickademus
January 27th, 2018, 18:12
He's talking about things like spells and feats. I have a player that almost every session links a spell he has prepared in the chat window so that another player can see what it does. The problem is, that link is from his character sheet so no other player can use it to pull up a link.

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 19:56
He's talking about things like spells and feats. I have a player that almost every session links a spell he has prepared in the chat window so that another player can see what it does. The problem is, that link is from his character sheet so no other player can use it to pull up a link.

This.

LordEntrails
January 27th, 2018, 20:18
Hmm, so even if both players have the PHB loaded, if one shares a link it doesn't work for the other? Bummer :(

Trenloe
January 27th, 2018, 21:18
Hmm, so even if both players have the PHB loaded, if one shares a link it doesn't work for the other?
Yes, because once it's on the character sheet it's no longer a link to the PHB. The whole spell is copied to the character record, so that there is no requirement to have the PHB open (or even accessible) in future. Plus it allows you to modify the spell on your character sheet.

As has already been mentioned, this means the spell data is owned by the player, so only that player or the GM can view links to it.

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 23:13
A simple-ish solution would be to have two additional fields behind the scenes...

1. isUnmodified: Boolean
2. sourceLink: <whatever>

If the player doesn't modify the skill, the link stays pointed at the PHB or wherever even if they have a copy of the data locally.

Trenloe
January 27th, 2018, 23:41
@Gix - if you've added your feature request to the wishlist please provide a link so people can vote if they wish. Thanks.

Gix
January 27th, 2018, 23:48
EDIT: I tried again today and it seems to be allowing me past CAPTCHA. will post link shortly

Trenloe. I tried. The stupid site says my emails are registered but won't send me a password reminder... when I attempt to post as a guest I go into eternal Google Are you a Human hell... where it asks me LITERALLY 5 different Captcha questions ... in a row before finally allowing me to post... and when I post... it doesn't show up.

I'm rather irritated with that. :/

Gix
January 28th, 2018, 00:01
PLEASE UPVOTE https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=116264 if you want this resolved. Thanks!