PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ultimate and demo versions

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 04:00
If I purchase a Ultimate version of the game to run a D&D game it allows my players to play the game with a demo version, with that in mind does that include all the current player options such as classes and races or is it just the SRD material? I am sure that this has been asked before and I want to thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

dulux-oz
January 25th, 2018, 04:06
Just the SRD

And Welcome! to the Community :)

damned
January 25th, 2018, 04:07
If I purchase a Ultimate version of the game to run a D&D game it allows my players to play the game with a demo version, with that in mind does that include all the current player options such as classes and races or is it just the SRD material? I am sure that this has been asked before and I want to thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

Welcome lschantz
The Ultimate and Standard licenses contain exactly the same content - eg only SRD content.
The 5e and Pathfinder (and other systems) are licensed separately.

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 04:08
Ok thanks everyone for that information, does the standard edition come with all the player material or do they then need to purchase the books they want to use on top of the cost for the license of Fantasy Grounds?

damned
January 25th, 2018, 04:19
Hi lschantz

Any material the GM owns they can share with players - eg Players Handbook, Xanathars, Sword Coast Players Guide etc - but not Monster Manual, DMG or the Adventure you are playing.
Any material a player owns they can request access to it and the GM can grant or deny (eg dont give access to a player who wants to open Curse of Strahd! and peek ahead).

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2018, 04:21
The books are always extra. But both the standard and ultimate license come with the SRD and the basic rules.

Check out this post for more details; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 04:23
Thanks, I am looking for a virtual table top but want it to be as cheap as possible for my players, this site is the front runner at the moment.

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2018, 04:27
Thanks, I am looking for a virtual table top but want it to be as cheap as possible for my players, this site is the front runner at the moment.
One of the You Tube guys does a cost comparison, let me see if I can find it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gHmxi4EydE&t=1s

He lays out things pretty well. Depending how you plan to use the VTT, you might find a different price point than he does. Also, I would suggest you Google "Vtt comparison chart" if you haven't already. Their is one done by Doug Davison and one done by Hureca (sp?) that are both good and fairly recent.

Let us know any questions.

damned
January 25th, 2018, 05:01

For me - the cheapest way to really trial FG is to get an Ultimate Subscription for one month and the Lost Mines of Phandelver.
It includes pregens and its a good adventure.
Then if you like it - PHB and the next adventure - and probably go the outright Ultimate rather than continuing the sub.
Then you as the GM will know what/when you need to buy more books.

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 05:07
I am going to be the gm, so I am looking to take on the burden of the cost of this product and cut the cost as much as possible for my players. My friends and I play in the Adventures League and this seems to be the easiest way to run the books without having to spend time hand drawing maps and such. Thanks for all the information it has helped me a lot.