PDA

View Full Version : Headshots and low skilled shooter survivability in War of the Dead?

Varsuuk
January 24th, 2018, 14:28
Hi guys, I played in one War if the Dead (related Con adventure) and it seemed really difficult to score headshots for low Shooting skill characters. Now, I can read what I wrote and can agree it should be that way in real life. No argument there. Just trying to make sure being a novice that I didn’t miss anything. I know you can do aimed called shots and there is double tap etc but basically wanted to get the feeling from people who’ve run or played it:

Should I strongly advise my players to go to d6+ to start? I originally thought to have them create characters “based” on their real life skills (replacing when Dead with whatever but prefer to have SOME survive heh) In the beginning they can’t “call” **** without clues, that’s fine just wondering statistically with d4 and 1 in 4 chance of exploding even with negative mods, how often would these type of characters get chance to hit kill shots once they know the weakness?

Varsuuk
January 24th, 2018, 14:30
Hmmm did I typo “shot” above? /blush

Hmmm I looked again and realized I meant “headshot” (cabeza-shot, in case term is on some no fly list)

Skellan
January 25th, 2018, 10:20
Yeah, headshots are tough.

Aiming helps as you get a +2 to hit. Also double tab can give you another +1. So if you aim and double tap the penalty drops to -1. If you are feeling brave, close in an target their parry. even better, knock them prone and then target their parry. My players also like to shake the zombies first to buy time for the headshot later on

Topdecker
January 30th, 2018, 01:28
A scope on a rifle is +2 to hit. For some reason they are in the Sci-Fi companion - glass optics are clearly future tech...

I would probably also give +1 to hit for a handgun laser - technology so astounding it is not mentioned. Maybe another +1 for bracing on a support (car hood, window frame, etc) when shooting. Also fantastic for distracting cats or giving presentations.

Anyhow, +2 is pretty big while +1 would help quite a bit.

goodmanje
February 5th, 2018, 19:20
I've been taking my son through WOTD and he has been finding ways to knock the zombies off their feet and then smashes the head while they're prone. lol

Skellan
February 5th, 2018, 20:36
haha, now that sounds fun!

JohnD
February 6th, 2018, 05:10
When I was running a game based off of WotD, I used what I think is the hit location chart from GURPS, rolling a d30. If the hit was to the head or neck I rolled Smarts to see if people realized that head shots were more effective... after a while we didn't have to do the old "nudge nudge wink wink" any more.

Of course, I then TPKed everyone... taking 3 characters from full health to 5, 7 and 7 wounds in one round. Kinda soured on the SW rules at that point. :(

dcook0323
February 15th, 2018, 22:26
My in person group is having a similar problem in our zombie campaign. We're all new to savage worlds and even though they're picking it up quick they refuse to use attack options to increase odds of hitting even though I suggest plenty of options yo choose from. One piece of advice I've heard and used is use attack options against then to show the potential.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2018, 16:55
If the players aren't listening then using solid tactics against them is a good way to make them realise what they can do.

The Combat Survival Guide can be a good thing to share with the players: https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/Combat%20Survival%20Guide.pdf

Dershem
February 18th, 2018, 19:32
That is always a good document. One of the reasons I like Savage Worlds anyone can be deadly!